Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Wheel for 68 Olds 98

Old November 23rd, 2016, 07:47 PM

Question Wheel for 68 Olds 98

Help!!

I have a 1968 Olds 98 Sedan with the "Front Disk Brake option". Have been trying unsucessfuly find a spare wheel for that car. The present spare will fit on the rear "Drum Brake" but will not clear the front caliper. Salvage yards unfortunately do not have the ability to determine what vehicle their wheels originated and I have, so far, tried some 4 wheels from various yards with no success. Can anyone in this forum give me some guidance on where this wheel may be found?

Ed Taylor
Old November 23rd, 2016, 07:55 PM

I would think the 1971 through at least 1977 full sized GM cars should work. Since they came with disc brakes and have the same 5 on 5 bolt pattern they should fit. I've got several of those wheels laying around from a 1973 Olds 98. If your near the West Coast I can probably help, but if your more than a couple states away you can probably find something closer and save on shipping costs.

John
Old November 24th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Edward Taylor
Help!!

I have a 1968 Olds 98 Sedan with the "Front Disk Brake option". Have been trying unsucessfuly find a spare wheel for that car. The present spare will fit on the rear "Drum Brake" but will not clear the front caliper. Salvage yards unfortunately do not have the ability to determine what vehicle their wheels originated and I have, so far, tried some 4 wheels from various yards with no success. Can anyone in this forum give me some guidance on where this wheel may be found?

Ed Taylor
Don't expect any wrecking yards to have parts that will fit a car that's half a century old. If you want a CORRECT factory wheel for that rare application, you'll be looking for a long time. If, however, all you want is something that works as a spare, John is correct. Any 1971-up GM wheel with the 5x5 bolt pattern will work as a spare. This is pretty much any 1971-76 full size, any 1977-1996 full size with HD brakes, and most half-ton pickups and vans with five bolt wheels. These are likely to be 15" wheels, however, not the original 14".

Of course, with your current spare, if you get a flat on the front, you can put the spare on the rear and move the tire from the rear to the front, at least until you get the flat fixed.
Old November 25th, 2016, 09:01 AM

Smile Wheel for 68 Olds 98

John, Joe,

Thanks for your quick responses. Yes, my present strategy, in the event of a front tire flat, is to put the spare on a rear axle and then put that rear tire on the front.

I will indeed go out and find a 71-77 GM wheel to fix the issue.

Ed Taylor
Old December 1st, 2016, 07:39 PM

Wheel for 68 Olds 98

Guys,

I bombed out! I was able to find a 1971 wheel (beautifully refurbished/ painted) from the outfit "Wheels Tires and More". That wheel would not clear the front caliper of my '68 either. It appears that the Oldsmobile folks changed some of the geometry of the front ends from the "68 models with front disk option" to the later "70 thru 76 models with standard front disk brakes".

It looks like I am back to ground zero and I know that I am going to have to find a real '68 car in someone's barn or out in a field somewhere.

Thanks for your help.

Ed Taylor
Old December 1st, 2016, 07:51 PM

Ed, can you post a picture of the wheels you have that do clear the calipers?

John
Old December 2nd, 2016, 07:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Guys,

I bombed out! I was able to find a 1971 wheel (beautifully refurbished/ painted) from the outfit "Wheels Tires and More". That wheel would not clear the front caliper of my '68 either. It appears that the Oldsmobile folks changed some of the geometry of the front ends from the "68 models with front disk option" to the later "70 thru 76 models with standard front disk brakes".

It looks like I am back to ground zero and I know that I am going to have to find a real '68 car in someone's barn or out in a field somewhere.

Thanks for your help.

Ed Taylor
How do you know this is really a 1971 wheel? As noted, photos would help.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 08:14 PM

Wheel for 68 Olds 98

I have attached several images that may be helpful in my search.

Image #1: '68 Olds wheel - front

Image #2: '68 Olds wheel - rear

Image #3: '71 Olds wheel (from "Wheels Tires and more")

Image 4: '68 Olds Caliper

Let me know if this helps.

Regards, Ed Taylor
Old December 3rd, 2016, 05:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Ed,

Picture #3 you posted is a generic 14" wheel photo from a catalog. It is useless to determine whether or not it fits, and frankly, I've never seen companies such as this have a clue when it comes to proper fitment. I do know that EVERY SINGLE 1971 Olds Ninety Eight came with 15" wheels, and disc brakes, so that photo is NOT of a 1971 Ninety Eight wheel.

Also, your 1968 Ninety Eight came with 15" wheels from the factory.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:16 PM

Ed, I really thought the newer full sized wheels would fit. But maybe its the size of the 4 piston caliper that's being a problem. I've got a set of 5 of these wheels from a 1970 Delta 88 with front disc brakes. It has the two piece calipers, but the smaller single piston caliper. Its similar but not exactly the same as yours. I was wanting to keep the full set to sell, but if you can't find a suitable wheel for your spare I'd part with one of these for you to try. I'd have to get the tire removed and packaged to ship. If you would send me a PM or email to discuss the details.
John

DSCN7104.jpg

DSCN7112.jpg

DSCN7111.jpg

DSCN7105.jpg
Old December 3rd, 2016, 08:41 PM

Wheel for 68 Olds 98

Joe,

I made the foolish assumption that the folks at "Wheels Ties and More" knew what they were doing. So much for Truth in Advertising!

John,

Thank you for the offer, but I would not want you to break up a full set. I am not in a screaming rush and am willing to take the time to search for this elusive wheel. Also, I agree that the caliper size may be an issue. The '68 caliper is definitely larger than the '70 caliper in your picture.

Ed Taylor
Old December 4th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe,

I made the foolish assumption that the folks at "Wheels Ties and More" knew what they were doing. So much for Truth in Advertising!
The first thing you learn is that most vendors are wrong with their applications for Oldsmobile parts.

Can you post photos of the actual wheel you bought, not the catalog photo? Front and back, please.
Old December 4th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Oldsdruid

67-69 B/C body w/ disc brakes used specific 15" wheels and Toronado small hubcaps. Look at the pic of Edward's wheel and you'll see the three nubs that hold the caps on. The Toro caps are easy enough to find but the wheels and trim rings are uncommon at best. I know of only three cars with these and I think someone on here posted pics of a 68 Ninety Eight that had them, several years back.

I think that's a big reason you rarely see these cars with disc brake option, because Ninety Eight people wanted their full wheel covers instead of a dogbowl cap, and those years Oldsmobile didn't offer 15" full wheel cover except for Toronado. Then the Toro covers had so much offset to clear the wheel spider those will barely clear a Ninety Eight's skirts.

If you have to use another application wheel your current small caps won't mount to them, so you might have to get a full set of later 15" wheels, and even then no guarantee they'll clear those 4-piston brake calipers.

Look for a set of 71-72 Super Stock IV Polycasts, or 77-79 Ninety Eight N82 chrome wheel option. Not 100% sure they'll clear those big calipers, but they will dress that Ninety Eight up smartly.

Last edited by Olds64; December 5th, 2016 at 05:33 AM. Reason: No cussing please!
Old December 5th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Glenn,

The OP was looking for a wheel for his spare, so I'm not sure if center cap fitment is an issue. In any case, while the calipers may be larger, you'll find they still fit within the same radius. I'd still like to see photos of the alleged "1971" wheel that he was sold and not a catalog photo of what is obviously not the correct wheel.
Old December 5th, 2016, 06:35 PM

Smile wheel for 68 olds 98

Joe,

I goofed and returned the wheel from "Wheels Tires and more" before taking a picture of it.

However, I have determined the source of my problem:

It is that 4-piston "Fixed" caliper that Olds used in 1968. Every 15 inch wheel that I tried would appear to fit but would contact the outside edge of the caliper before bottoming out on the spindle.

Now, starting in 1969 the Olds folks (Bless their Pea-Pickin Hearts) switched over to a single piston "Floating" caliper that has a much shalower outside profile. And, of course, the single piston units are cheaper (factor of 4) than the 4-piston units.

It appears that ANY Olds wheel from 1969 onward will not fit on the '68 front spindle.

So, I am back to searching the countryside for a '68 junker that may just have the front disk brake option.

Thanks to all that have responded to my query. If anyone has this specific wheel please let me know.

Regards, Ed Taylor
Old February 17th, 2017, 01:45 PM

Spare wheel

If you are still looking for a spare wheel, I may have one. I am assuming that the pictures that you took are of the correct wheel. If so, can you take another picture with the trim ring removed?