Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Baby Needs New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2016, 03:19 PM

Baby Needs New Wheels

So while I came home for vacation I had my baby worked on. Body/paint was done but now she needs new wheels.

I'm sure someone has asked this before, I just couldn't find it... what can I put on her without having the wheels rub? I'm not looking to put 20's but I want to know the range of options. Will 18's work? I know the bolt pattern is 5x4.75 as she is original, but I'm not sure if, for example, 18x10s will fit.

I was thinking maybe some 18" torque thrusts?

What would you guys recommend?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Posting1.jpg (117.1 KB, 44 views)
Posting2.jpg (67.0 KB, 42 views)
Old July 27th, 2016, 04:17 PM
Oldsdruid

Those won't work. You have to have something with the same offset as the factory wheel and that generally means a custom-made set $$$$$. Looks like you already have the chrome wheel option. Why not just clean those up?
Old July 27th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 68ToroFan
So while I came home for vacation I had my baby worked on. Body/paint was done but now she needs new wheels.

I'm sure someone has asked this before, I just couldn't find it... what can I put on her without having the wheels rub? I'm not looking to put 20's but I want to know the range of options. Will 18's work? I know the bolt pattern is 5x4.75 as she is original, but I'm not sure if, for example, 18x10s will fit.

I was thinking maybe some 18" torque thrusts?

What would you guys recommend?
Your first problem is that the wheel bolt pattern on that Toro is 5 x 5". Only the small 1980s Toros used the 5 x 4.75" pattern.

Second, as Glenn points out, you need wheels with FWD offset. I doubt you'll find anything that isn't custom-machined. The early Toro wheels are a unique offset and bolt pattern and there isn't enough of a market for someone to tool up for them. Modern FWD wheels won't fit.

Third, the wheel DIAMETER is irrelevant as far as fitment. TIRE diameter is what matters.
Old July 27th, 2016, 06:14 PM

Wow, I didn't realize there was that much to it. I guess my route is to either pony up the dough or to hit the forums/craigslist ads for somebody that might have already paid for a set?

As for the original wheels, I am not really thrilled with what I have seen original to these cars... except a set I saw on a car that I saw about five or so years ago that made me fall in love with this year. It was on a craigslist ad for a car up around west of Dallas. I don't know if you guys ever saw it, but I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. And I loved those wheels too. I've read very little on them that I don't even know if they are original to this year. Anybody got any ideas? And if they are original... you know where I might find a set? My baby is a bucket seat option just like that one. Thanks in advance for all the great advice!!
Attached Images
Classic2.jpg (33.8 KB, 35 views)
Classic1.jpg (37.5 KB, 38 views)
Classic3.jpg (37.3 KB, 36 views)
Classic4.jpg (15.5 KB, 35 views)
Old July 27th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Those are RWD wheels with a very incorrect offset. I suspect that car both steered like a pig and rubbed the tires badly.

On the other hand, I have to correct my earlier statement. It turns out that there are a number of Jeep and Dodge vehicles that use a 5 x 5" (AKA 5 x 127 mm) bolt pattern with significant positive offset. I don't think they use as much as a stock Toro wheel, but it's in the right direction. Summit shows some aftermarket 5 x 5" wheels with up to +73mm of offset. Of course, these are about $800.

Apiece.

Ya pays your money and ya takes your choice. At least it's not as dismal as I thought.
Old July 27th, 2016, 07:12 PM

Yeah, well... I'm doing it for the love, I guess. Its not my daily driver.

Too bad about those rims, though. They look really nice.

Thanks for all the help, steered me in the right direction!
Old July 29th, 2016, 12:47 PM

Ok, so I've been doing a bit of google researching and I've come across some more good info. First of all, I'd like to say Mr. David Breznick did a wonderful job explaining the horrors of finding decent wheels for the Toronados.

http://www.breznick.com/toronado/wheels/

He definitely has some good write ups so if you're wondering or you're new to this like me, go ahead and read what he has. He even has a great write up on swapping drum to disc brakes.

Anyway, I've been looking and found three rims that I may check out from Ebay. They're mostly Chinese made rims (don't necessarily mean they're junk - I've purchased many items from China and most have been good quality) and I'm not sure if they will work but I'm willing to give it a shot. Below I'll attach an excel screen shot of the three vs OE. I just don't know if 5.5" will suffice for backspace. Or if 30mm is too little for offset. The best wheel has 5.5" backspace and 42mm offset at 16 x 7. I tried to do the math and drew pretty little pictures but being 8,000 miles away from my baby isn't helping.

Aside from not fitting at all, my best guess would be that they might rub or ride like crap. But if they fit just OK, shouldn't I be fine with it? Really... I'm not going to do street racing, just take it on the highway. I doubt I will be taking corners too hard either. Yeah, she will only be a Sunday driver. And the positives are that these wheels look much better than the factory wheels (or anything I've seen so far). The negative might be that they will adversely affect the wear and tear of my suspension. Am I getting this right?

As far as the tire issue goes, I think I can find a tire to fit any combination of these three wheels. As long as they don't need to be too thin. I understand that is also a bad direction.

Seriously, thank you guys for all your help. And if I end up sandblasting my wheels and painting them black I will post those pics.

Here are the links:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16x7-Machine...hXivwG&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Rac...-/401156161581
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KMC-XD-17-XD...-/401156191205
Attached Images
Wheel Measurements.jpg (25.4 KB, 9 views)
002.jpg (20.7 KB, 3 views)
Old July 29th, 2016, 12:52 PM

If the thumbnails don't come up, here are the measurements:

Brand OE Touren American Racing KMC XD Series

Size 15 x 6 16 x 7 16 x 8 17 x 8

Offset 83 42 30 35

Backspacing 6.75 5.57 5.68 5.88
Old July 29th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

I just don't know if 5.5" will suffice for backspace. Or if 30mm is too little for offset. The best wheel has 5.5" backspace and 42mm offset at 16 x 7.
The David Breznick website says the stock Toro wheels have 83mm (3.25") of positive offset. You need that, or close to it. 30mm of offset will push the tires 2" outboard relative to stock and cause them to rub. Ignore backspacing, as that varies with wheel width for a given offset. Pay attention to the offset.

Also, ignore the wheels on that twin engine Toro drag car. If you don't have to turn the wheels, offset doesn't matter.
Old July 29th, 2016, 02:26 PM

I will look to source from China. Maybe I can buy a few dozen and then sell on ebay. This is pretty frustrating. Thank you Joe for all your help.
Old August 1st, 2016, 08:43 AM

Yeah, so I contacted several manufacturers through alibaba and I found several who are willing to do custom one-off deals in some very nice looking patterns. I've been quoted $2K for a set of four aluminum cast rims with below specs:

5X127mm, 65mm ET, 17"X8", lip size : 17*1.5"

The ET is the offset. I figured if the wheel is wider maybe the offset may not have to be as high. For two grand the manufacturer would give me whatever offset I want, so going higher is no big deal. I'm just afraid that if I push the rim too much inside it might not work.

Here is one that would be significantly cheaper (its not custom), the rim diameter is now 18" instead of 17" and they can do an offset up to 70mm and a width as small as 6.5". Its alluminum so not too heavy and the price I hope a lot less (maybe under $1K a set).

https://www.nbqylg.en.alibaba.com/pr...ged_Wheel.html

Decisions, decisions...
Old August 1st, 2016, 08:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

The ET is the offset. I figured if the wheel is wider maybe the offset may not have to be as high.
Sorry, but you figured incorrectly. The offset is independent of wheel width. It is the difference from the wheel mounting surface to the centerline of the rim. Backspacing is dependent on wheel width, which is why I don't like to use it. Offset is independent. The only time you would want an offset different from stock is if the stock wheels are not centered in the wheel wells. In that case, varying the offset can help squeeze in wider tires. This requires detailed measuring under the full range of wheel travel and turning radii to figure out, however. Sticking with stock is a lot lower risk.

Old August 7th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Oldsdruid

Guy named Andy Rothman in TX had a set of custom aluminum rims made for his 68 W34 over 20 years ago. Brought that car to Atlanta Nats in 96 and didn't realise the wheels were not coated. He used some type of caustic tire cleaner and it ruined the finish on those wheels. Seems he'd paid upwards of 8 bills a wheel 20 years ago.
Old August 8th, 2016, 01:15 AM

http://www.breznick.com/toronado/wheels/