Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2016, 06:07 AM
Gearhead in training

spare tire?

Hello once again guys, so ive discovered there is a spare tire in my custom cruiser on the back passenger side of the car and i was just wondering how exacty your supossed to get it out? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old February 8th, 2016, 06:40 AM

Undo the wingnut in the centre, then pull up on the white plastic handle to the right. It's a sling to lift it out.
Old February 8th, 2016, 06:52 AM

Isn't this sort of information in the owner's manual?
Old February 8th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Isn't this sort of information in the owner's manual?
It's also on a sticker on the inside of the removable cover.

To the OP: Is your real question how to get the cover off, or how to remove the tire once you do. As noted, the answers are in the owner's manual (along with how the tailgate works, etc...).
Old February 8th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Oldsdruid

Give him a break, the car's older than he is by a long shot! I had to ebay to get an owners' manual for mine, since the things have a habit of disappearing...

To get the well cover off, look along its top edge (next to the window). You'll see a couple of recesses. Push down on the well cover at the recesses to unlock it, then pull it toward center of car. Then move it backwards to clear the retainer tabs at the front and lift it out of its retaining groove at the bottom. Then you can get to yer spare tire, which I'll bet dollars to a donut is a space saver. Yeah, bad pun.

It's retained to the car with a J-hook and a washer which can be a bitch to get back in. Pull the tire out using the white plastic sling and you'll see the jack and handle bracketed in at the top of the well.

Though honestly, if you don't NEED to pull all this stuff out, I wouldn't. Loosen the donut tire enough to rotate it where you can access the valve stem, check the pressure (60 psi), secure the tire and put the cover back.

Put the bottom edge in the floor groove, then push the well cover forward to slide the front tabs under the trim panel. Once all that's lined up, push the recesses down and shove the top edge under the retainer at the window.

And walla! Welcome to wagon-world!
Old February 8th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

It can be tricky. You undo the wingnut totally and then you pull the tire up from the well, making sure that the shaft swings upward with the tire.

When you replace the tire, you must pull that shaft up and let the tire down easy so that the shaft moves through the opening in the wheel. Also, when you put it back, make sure to tighten the wingnut pretty well against the disc that holds the tire in place (assuming the disc is still around!) or it'll rattle quite a bit!
Old February 8th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

Originally Posted by Professur
Undo the wingnut in the centre, then pull up on the white plastic handle to the right. It's a sling to lift it out.
I've had my Custom Cruiser for 13 years and I never knew what in the world that white plastic piece was actually for! I always just lifted the tire out! Lol.

Gonna have to play with that when I get home.
Old February 8th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Gearhead in training

To the owners manual comments, mine actually did come with one but i took it out for safe keeping and honestly whenever i ask you guys a question on here i usually get much more info than that specific bit im looking for and i enjoy learning the things that the book doesnt necessarily teach you. The little tips and tricks are what helps so i do appreciate you guys bothering to respond to something that is in the book because i do use every bit of the things i learn here. Thanks again!
Old February 8th, 2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Custom Cruiser
To the owners manual comments, mine actually did come with one but i took it out for safe keeping
Safekeeping? What's going to happen to it in the glovebox? Roving bands of owner's manual thieves plaguing your area?

The best place for that owner's manual is IN the glove box!!! You could have pulled it out and had the answer to your question in two seconds.

I mean, what would you have done if you were out in the car and had a flat tire? Phone home and ask your wife to dig out the owner's manual and read you the part about getting at the spare tire? Keep it in the glovebox, where God intended it to be.

honestly whenever i ask you guys a question on here i usually get much more info than that specific bit im looking for and i enjoy learning the things that the book doesnt necessarily teach you.
This is all very well and good, but it IS somewhat irritating when people come on here and ask questions that they could easily answer themselves with the tiniest bit of effort.
Old February 8th, 2016, 02:04 PM

Safekeeping? What's going to happen to it in the glovebox? Roving bands of owner's manual thieves plaguing your area?

The best place for that owner's manual is IN the glove box!!! You could have pulled it out and had the answer to your question in two seconds.

I mean, what would you have done if you were out in the car and had a flat tire? Phone home and ask your wife to dig out the owner's manual and read you the part about getting at the spare tire? Keep it in the glovebox, where God intended it to be.

This is all very well and good, but it IS somewhat irritating when people come on here and ask questions that they could easily answer themselves with the tiniest bit of effort.
How can I release the summer air out of my tires and put in the winter air?
Old February 8th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Dear Jaunty75:

My owners manual says to rotate the tires. But don't they rotate while I'm driving?
Old February 8th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Gearhead in training

Next time ill read it first. Its just slightly vague. Again, i learn much more from hearing your guys answers and if the question seems stupid or obvious, it probably is, and thats because im only 19 and im learning as i go. Not trying to **** anyone off by asking a wrong question so if it seems to simple of a problem or is irritating, noone is holding a gun to your head making you reply. But for those of you that have continued to put up with my ignorance, i thank you, and hope to hear from you again on my next ridiculous problem.
Old February 8th, 2016, 06:12 PM

Great attitude young man, wishing you many many nautical miles of enjoyable sailing in that land Yacht!

Brett
Old February 8th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by Paladin31
Great attitude young man, wishing you many many nautical miles of enjoyable sailing in that land Yacht!

Brett
Thank you sir, same to you. I see you have a custom cruiser too so enjoy your cruising as well! Wishing you had a picture of it up, i am crazy about them!
Old February 8th, 2016, 06:42 PM

75 cc

The rear view is original condition, the side view is after I painted it. My Mom picked out the color, loved that shade of blue....I regretted it. I learned why they don't offer all body styles etc in certain colors...they just don't fit. This ship sailed off several years ago, loaded with a ton of options, that 455 though would still break the tires loose whenever I wanted.

Brett
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
General B U 2-10-2013 056.JPG (2.50 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg
General B U 2-10-2013 055.JPG (2.43 MB, 20 views)
Old February 8th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Gearhead in training

The rear view is original condition, the side view is after I painted it. My Mom picked out the color, loved that shade of blue....I regretted it. I learned why they don't offer all body styles etc in certain colors...they just don't fit. This ship sailed off several years ago, loaded with a ton of options, that 455 though would still break the tires loose whenever I wanted.

Brett
Are you saying you dont have it any longer? If so thats a shame, its so hard to find these around anymore.
Old February 9th, 2016, 03:50 AM
Oldsdruid

if it seems to simple of a problem or is irritating, noone is holding a gun to your head making you reply.

Or making you read it!

But for those of you that have continued to put up with my ignorance, i thank you, and hope to hear from you again on my next ridiculous problem.

Some of these ******** have forgotten what it was like to be young and ignorant, and looking for a mentor who might try to help them. I'll help you any time you need it.

My trouble is trying to make sure to talk at whatever level my audience is on. I don't want to talk down to anyone but neither do I want to talk above your level.
Old February 9th, 2016, 06:32 AM

If NCC hadn't asked his question, Arrowstorm would have one day died ignorant of what the white plastic thingy was for. He's performing a public service.
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:50 AM

Some people here get kinda crusty at times, probably because they're getting older.
Old February 9th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Brett
X2 on that. Keep asking those questions. Most of the people on this site have been very helpful to me when I ask what may be obvious questions to some. I've been slammed a few times, but I figure those d-bags are just mad because they didn't get their favorite computer at the library that day.

Frank
Old February 9th, 2016, 08:59 AM
delete

Dude, if its too much trouble, don't burden yourself. Just move on.
Old February 9th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

With the understanding that I am entering a low-level flamefest, I would like to contribute one thing:

What I have always done, and what I have recommended here in the past, is that whenever you get a new car, you skim through every page of the owner's manual, get a factory service manual as quickly as possible, and then spend a few evenings quickly glancing at every page in that.

What this does is to orient you not only to the car and its characteristics and features, but also to the manuals, what kinds of information is in them, and where it is located.
That way, when you have a question, you can look at where you remember that you saw some information about it, and then, if that information is not enough to answer the question, you can ask others about it, building on the information that you did find.

Anyway, none of this is any of my business, or directly relevant, as I have never had a Custom Cruiser, and know nothing about how their spare tires are stowed.

Carry on.

- Eric
Old February 9th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Sometimes its better to reference the owners manual or csm and then give a personal explanation. I agree if its a bother to reply then move on and ignore the question, let others reply.
Old February 9th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Gearhead in training

To ignachuck rocketraider Professur and arrowstorm thanks for supporting the new guy lol its very encouraging. I dont see the point of jumping on here just to cut someone down and hopefully one day i can be the expert telling some kid how to take the hubcaps off (; thanks again and i hope to hear from you guys on my next post!
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Gearhead in training

And i have both the owner manual and a service manual ive been reading mostly every day and thats part of the reason i didnt have them with me and the car. I was actually in the middle of heading out on a road trip and figured i should know how to get the spare off, considering on my first CC the tire blew 3 hours away on sunday night and i had to leave it there and have someone come out and get me as i left the car there until morning. Im not even sure if that one has a spare or not. May have already been used, anyways, i digress. Thank you for the constructive criticism and ill be sure to keep on keeping on with those questions! Maybe we all might learn a random thing or two
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Gearhead in training

And cant forget oldcutlass, sorry these smartphones aren't too smart.
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

And i have both the owner manual and a service manual ive been reading mostly every day...
So you're already ahead of the game.

Don't worry about Jaunty. He's always cranky. We keep him around, though, because of affirmative action - there are not enough fullsize owners on this board.

- Eric
Old February 9th, 2016, 11:41 AM
delete

Originally Posted by northern custom cruiser
hopefully one day i can be the expert telling some kid how to take the hubcaps off (; thanks again and i hope to hear from you guys on my next post!

lol
Old February 9th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Hookers under Hood

As I mentioned before in another thread, if everyone here went to the CSM and owners manual every time without posting questions, CO would be dead !!! This would become a 24 hr buy and sell forum.
I would think the younger generation will be inheriting these Old cars in the years to come , so questions such as this should be allowed and answered.
Keep CO going this is what it was intended for unless I'm mistaken.
Post away and enjoy the tracks and miles that are ahead of you in your cruiser !
Old February 9th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=Northern Custom Cruiser;893991] hopefully one day i can be the expert telling some kid how to take the hubcaps off .

Haha, ahhh I want to be the one. Hey listen to this.... I thought I had to remove the door panels to empty my ash trays so don't feel bad.
Cheers
Eric
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
, as I have never had a Custom Cruiser, and know nothing about how their spare tires are stowed.

Carry on.

- Eric

Poor bugger. That's so sad. How do you live with the lack?

I feel a little like Zoolander when Mathilda tells him that she hasn't had sex in years.
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Gearhead in training

[QUOTE=76olds;894025]
hopefully one day i can be the expert telling some kid how to take the hubcaps off .

Haha, ahhh I want to be the one. Hey listen to this.... I thought I had to remove the door panels to empty my ash trays so don't feel bad.
Cheers
Eric
Hahahahahaha thats good stuff right there, good stuff. I honestly just enjoy hearing the responses you guys leave me with haha every post has been an experience in of itself. This is definitely a great site and im extremely impressed with the information ive been given. Keep doing what your doing guys and youll be hearing from me soon im sure! For sake of keeping things organized ive already got a question but am going to make a new thread later tonight. Hope to hear from all of you!
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Oldsdruid

Still think you 'n Bruiser-wagon need to point yerselves towards Kingsport in July.

There is a reason my Cruiser's wire caps do not have their locks. If I could do away with them on the Big M I would. Aggravating sheeit.
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Professur
Poor bugger. That's so sad. How do you live with the lack?
Well, I have had a '67 Fairlane wagon, a '68 Safari wagon, and a '68 Colony Park wagon, so I'm not altogether unfamiliar with them, but I've never had one of these newer wagons.

- Eric
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:51 PM

Next time ill read it first. Its just slightly vague. Again, i learn much more from hearing your guys answers and if the question seems stupid or obvious, it probably is, and thats because im only 19 and im learning as i go. Not trying to **** anyone off by asking a wrong question so if it seems to simple of a problem or is irritating, noone is holding a gun to your head making you reply. But for those of you that have continued to put up with my ignorance, i thank you, and hope to hear from you again on my next ridiculous problem.
When I was 19, I wasn't reading owners manuals. I was reading Playboy and Penthouse magazines
Old February 9th, 2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Well, I have had a '67 Fairlane wagon, a '68 Safari wagon, and a '68 Colony Park wagon, so I'm not altogether unfamiliar with them, but I've never had one of these newer wagons.

- Eric

Never had a 69 then?

MD, clear some space in your PM box, willya?

Last edited by Professur; February 9th, 2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old February 9th, 2016, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ELY442
When I was 19, I wasn't reading owners manuals. I was reading Playboy and Penthouse magazines
I haven't looked for a while, but isn't only one of them still in business, and now you HAVE to read it for the articles?
Old February 9th, 2016, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
I haven't looked for a while, but isn't only one of them still in business, and now you HAVE to read it for the articles?
Yes, Penthouse is out of business and now Playboy is going to stop doing nude photos
Old February 9th, 2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by ELY442
Yes, Penthouse is out of business and now Playboy is going to stop doing nude photos
A victim of the computer age, and creating one more thing for the I have to have it when I want it crowd. No waiting for the next monthly issue to see a new pair of *****.
Old February 9th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Gearhead in training

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Still think you 'n Bruiser-wagon need to point yerselves towards Kingsport in July.

There is a reason my Cruiser's wire caps do not have their locks. If I could do away with them on the Big M I would. Aggravating sheeit.
Im definitely planning on making it down there, i saw a few pics from previous years and started drooling so i figure that must be a good sign. Ill have to get some things done so i can have the CC all prettied up (;

Quick Reply: spare tire?