78 Custom Cruiser Diesel, every option offered including rare Twilight Sentinel.

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:26 AM

78 Custom Cruiser Diesel, every option offered including rare Twilight Sentinel.

You know me with these Oldsmobile Diesels. I have been going back and forth for a little while thinking if I should buy this car or not. It's a Custom Cruiser wagon with the wood-grain down the sides. It is being sold from the estate of the original owner. They still have the original title and paperwork. The original owner ordered this car will everything I could find on the options sheet. Power windows, locks, seats, antenna, tilt wheel, cruise, delay wipers, stereo tape, tempmatic air, digital clock, full lamp package, third row seat, heavy duty cooling, even the very rare Twilight Sentinel lights which you rarely find even on a 98 or Toronado much less a Custom Cruiser. I have never seen another wagon with this option. The Diesel seems to run fine, thanks to a new GM Goodwrench 350 Diesel. I really wish it still had the original Diesel engine, however, very few GM Diesels of this era still have their original engines as we all know. The paint is all original and still looks ok. A good polish should bring it back up. The wood-grain looks ok. Some rust in two of the doors and a little starting in the quarters. The frame and underbody are solid. The car really needs a good cleaning up. The interior is pretty good except the headliner is falling down. I'm not really into wagons but I am into any Oldsmobile with a Diesel. Is there a demand for station wagons like these? Are there any station wagon clubs or forums around? I think stations wagons may have more of a following than I first thought. Is this car really worth anything? Is it worth playing around with because I need another car like I need a Giraffe.. The main reasons I keep thinking about this car are because it's a Diesel and it's loaded with all the options. That rare Twilight Sentinel option really did it for me. It looks like the seller does not really have any serious buyers on the car. I offered 1000 which he did not take.

Last edited by Herbie; November 3rd, 2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:49 AM

To answer your questions, or at least give my opinions on them, in no particular order:

1. Yes, there most certainly is a forum for station wagon owners. It's www.stationwagonforums.com. There's also the GM Longroof forum (http://gmlongroof.4umer.com/), but they seem to be more focused on the last generation, '90s-era wagons.

2. Station wagons are becoming more popular, probably both because some are recognizing them for what they were and because we're running out of other old cars to restore. But they're still not that popular in the grand scheme of things.

3. I think your car would be pretty much worthless if it still had its original diesel because those engines had a history of problems. My father's '79 Toronado diesel, which he bought new, is a perfect example. The head gasket failed on that engine after 22,000 miles. My dad was part of the class action lawsuit brought against GM at the time, and he did receive a settlement.

But this car apparently has a later, replacement diesel in it, so that's likely an altogether different situation, and I wouldn't be afraid of getting this car.

4. As far as value, the Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a gasoline-engine '78 Custom Cruiser in "car show" (#3) condition at about $2200 with a 10% reduction if the car has a diesel engine. But that would be for the original diesel engine. In any event, the value for such a car is roughly 2 grand according to this source.

From your description of the car (we'd love to see some photos), with rust and so forth, it's not #3. In #4 condition (runs and drives but needs complete restoration), the value shown is $1,000, which is what you offered for the car and were turned down.

It's likely worth around $1,500 give or take a few hundred. Did you get any sense what the owner would take for the car? You said they haven't had any serious buyers, but have they been actively trying to sell the car or just mentioning in polite conversation that they wouldn't mind getting rid of it? How long have they been trying to sell it? If it's been only a few days, then it's not surprising that they would reject your offer. But if they've still got it six months from now, your $1,000 might look much more appealing.

5. To answer your last question, even if you didn't ask it, yes, of course you should buy the car if you can reach a deal with the seller. This isn't about needing a car. It's about having fun!

Last edited by jaunty75; November 3rd, 2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:38 PM

Thank you for the information and for the link to the wagon site. He thinks the car is worth over 3k as is. However, 1500 is the lowest he claims he will take. I know there is nobody else really on this car and he has be trying to sell it for a while. I do not use the old car price guides to really figure a value on an old car. I think, a car's value is in how many collectors out there want it. Not sure how many collectors really want an old diesel station wagon except for myself and maybe a few others. Something about this car is getting to me but at the same time, I don't want to be stuck with a big old unsellable Diesel wagon if I decide it's not for me. My driveway and garage are overfilled already. If it was a Diesel Cutlass, a 98 Regency or a Toronado, I would have bought it already. I do like that fact that it's so well loaded with neat options.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie
He thinks the car is worth over 3k as is. However, 1500 is the lowest he claims he will take.
This is a non-sequitur. Regardless of what he says the car is worth, if he'll take $1500 for it, $1500 is what it's worth, at least to him.

I do not use the old car price guides to really figure a value on an old car. I think, a car's value is in how many collectors out there want it.
Regardless of whether you use them or not, they seem to be pretty much right on in this case. He says he'll take $1500 for the car, which is exactly what the price guides suggest. The price guides are based on how many collectors want a car! That's reflected in what they sell for. You think the price guides are based on something different?

Not sure how many collectors really want an old diesel station wagon except for myself and maybe a few others.
No one does, which is why it's worth so little. It's also the reason that, if you like it, you can pick it up cheap. It's also the reason to realize that you shouldn't buy it with the thought of selling it again some day and recouping your investment. You should buy it to have fun with and then sell it for whatever you can get when the time comes, realizing that "whatever you can get" might not be very much at all.

Last edited by jaunty75; November 3rd, 2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 01:14 PM

I find that the old car price guides do not always update their prices. More so with oddball cars but not always. I also don't go by auction prices since they are all over the place depending on how hot the crowd is along with the vibe in the air and what outfit is running the auction. It's worth 1500 to him and maybe someone else. Since I have nowhere to put the thing anyway, I will stay at a grand. For that price, I will find a place to store it. If I had an empty garage, maybe I would go for his price.. Maybe.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 03:53 PM
Administrator

I'd wait until he calls you back and then tell him $750.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I'd wait until he calls you back and then tell him $750.
i like this strategy and it does work.
Old November 4th, 2016, 05:01 AM

I bet it's a cool car.
Old November 4th, 2016, 06:29 AM

Don't let him smell desperation .. but don't let him sell it to someone else either.
Old November 4th, 2016, 08:21 AM

All good advice on this site as always. Thank you. I did say I would be willing to meet him halfway at 1250 but he did not even bother to respond. He had a small for sale ad and I just noticed he raised the asking price. He thinks he has gold and he must also think he has a sucker hooked on the line. Well, not me. He is going to lose what may be his only chance of unloading this car. After some time, he will reach out again and I will offer 500.