Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

53 Brake rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2015, 01:45 AM

53 Brake rebuild?

Just purchased an Olds 98, the guy says that it has sat so long the brakes have locked, so that's my first job as soon as I take delivery of it,
so can anyone tell me if there are Brake rebuild kits out there for a 53? hopefully a one stop shop where I can buy both front and rears.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ghf.JPG (487.5 KB, 14 views)
Old September 19th, 2015, 02:20 AM
Lansing built

It looks like Fusick has them. You may want to check your local auto parts also.
http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts....s.asp?dept=131

Pat
Old September 19th, 2015, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
It looks like Fusick has them. You may want to check your local auto parts also.
http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts....s.asp?dept=131

Pat
Thanks Pat, that looks like just the place I need. This is my first 50's car so I've got plenty to learn, the seller told me that it has Bendix Treadle vac brakes...i'd never heard of it. Hell I don't even know yet what the inside of a 53 Olds brake looks like yet.
I rebuilt my 71 chevy truck brakes, kit came with all the hardware, drums, cylinders, rotors, pads & shoes. so hopeing I could do the same on the 53.
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Lansing built

No biggie on the help. Except for the doh moment, I did not realize that you are from the U.K.! So the local auto parts won't work for you

Pat
Old September 20th, 2015, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
No biggie on the help. Except for the doh moment, I did not realize that you are from the U.K.! So the local auto parts won't work for you

Pat

It's a problem...lol
Old September 20th, 2015, 11:21 PM

While they probably don't have complete brake kits, this place may have something to help your new acquisition: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/

Also try to get a copy of the Oldsmobile shop manual for 1953 or a reproduction, and photo the brake assembly before taking it apart.
Old September 21st, 2015, 07:17 AM

X2 what Ozzie said. Probably the most used item you will buy for your car, it will save you countless hours of grief not knowing how thing go together or apart... Tedd
Old September 21st, 2015, 08:48 AM

Will do, thank you both.
Old October 6th, 2015, 06:21 AM

Eightbanger,if it has the Bendix treadle there are kits available. They are built with Master / booster built together.The kit will come with most of the parts needed to rebuild,unless the piston is pitted really extremely bad.The kit will come with a sheet of illustrated instructions,but the'53 Olds shop manual informs you much better. Just clean,clean, clean. There Is a big leather seal ,that will need to be lubricated,and I recommend "100% Neatsfoot oil found at leather shops.Fusicks has the kit, and it may have the new leather seal. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Larry
Old October 6th, 2015, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Eightbanger,if it has the Bendix treadle there are kits available. They are built with Master / booster built together.The kit will come with most of the parts needed to rebuild,unless the piston is pitted really extremely bad.The kit will come with a sheet of illustrated instructions,but the'53 Olds shop manual informs you much better. Just clean,clean, clean. There Is a big leather seal ,that will need to be lubricated,and I recommend "100% Neatsfoot oil found at leather shops.Fusicks has the kit, and it may have the new leather seal. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Larry
Larry, here is the list of stuff I ordered from Fusick.
With this being my first 50's Olds, I pretty much let him make up the list of possible parts i'd need, everything I hope, save Brake Drums, i'm assuming they'll be OK (fingers crossed) at first he said not to attempt a rebuild of the Bendix Treadle and told me it would be better to send my old one off to them for a rebuilt one.
I reminded him that being in the UK it wouldn't be cost effective, so I believe he then added a kit (see list) although I am still a little confused whether he meant the rebuilding of the Bendix or something else...I wont be sure till the car and the parts get here.

And a pic of my baby on the start of her long journey.
Attached Images
BP.JPG (77.9 KB, 20 views)
BP2.JPG (27.1 KB, 12 views)
Old October 6th, 2015, 12:10 PM

Nigel looks like that should cover everything.Don't know how prices compare,but EBay Uk has same kit for 96.17 your currency.If you have already placed order it may not be worth worrying about. Keep me informed. Larry
Old October 11th, 2015, 11:06 AM

If you need a service/shop manual, I have a spare one that I could sell you for a reasonable price. It is a Canadian manual. Most exports to Europe were Canadian models, although in your case ... the '53 98's were all made in the USA, so the Canadian and American manuals will work for you. Send me a PM if you need it.
Old October 11th, 2015, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by GaWajn
If you need a service/shop manual, I have a spare one that I could sell you for a reasonable price. It is a Canadian manual. Most exports to Europe were Canadian models, although in your case ... the '53 98's were all made in the USA, so the Canadian and American manuals will work for you. Send me a PM if you need it.
Thank you, that's really kind of you....this is something I've yet to get and will really need.

PM sent.
Old October 11th, 2015, 04:57 PM

It's yours for the cost of the actual shipping charges.
Old January 11th, 2016, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eightbanger
Thanks Pat, that looks like just the place I need. This is my first 50's car so I've got plenty to learn, the seller told me that it has Bendix Treadle vac brakes...i'd never heard of it. Hell I don't even know yet what the inside of a 53 Olds brake looks like yet.
I rebuilt my 71 chevy truck brakes, kit came with all the hardware, drums, cylinders, rotors, pads & shoes. so hopeing I could do the same on the 53.
the brake rebuild is fairly easy and parts are avail the biggest problem I had was the vacume hose inside the treddle, the kits I bought did not include that internal hose, and I have not been able to find anything that will work. and do not try this without a shop manuel.
Old January 11th, 2016, 07:26 PM

There's a very informative post on this site from a member that goes by (Karlskorner). He owns a '57 with Bendix power (treadle vac ) and covers the rebuild from start to finish. The above post is correct that the Treadle Vac kits I have seen do not include the internal hose,but mine was fine and didn't need replacing. Best of luck, Larry
Old January 11th, 2016, 08:26 PM

There's a very informative post on this site from a member that goes by (Karlskorner). He owns a '57 with Bendix power (treadle vac ) and covers the rebuild from start to finish. The above post is correct that the Treadle Vac kits I have seen do not include the internal hose,but mine was fine and didn't need replacing. Best of luck, Larry
thanks, hope I can find the post i found another booster at a car show and it had not been opened up i think it will be ok. love these cars. current car is a 55- 88 2 door 150 k miles. never had a maj problem with it. added A/C ,power steering, and power brakes, also put a GM alternator on it. Have owened several of these cars since they were new. love the Rocket engine and hydramatic..
Thanks Frank Allen
Old January 11th, 2016, 08:41 PM

Frank, if you will go to the top of this page and type Treadle Vac into the search area,lt will bring up a whole page.The 9th one from the bottom of the page will be that post, Larry
Old January 12th, 2016, 08:44 AM

Frank, if you will go to the top of this page and type Treadle Vac into the search area,lt will bring up a whole page.The 9th one from the bottom of the page will be that post, Larry
Thanks ill check it out. Frank
Old January 12th, 2016, 09:02 AM

reply treadle vac

Originally Posted by Frank Allen
Thanks ill check it out. Frank
Got it , thanks for the help, Somebody somewhere has to provide the inside vacume hose, when you buy diffenet hoses they will not stay put , the rebuilders are doing something with them but don't know what, I have spent hours and days trying to find something that will work . original was rotten. every kit I have bought comes with everything else but no mention of that hose, any help would be appreciated. and thanks for the reply.
Frank Allen
Old January 12th, 2016, 10:59 AM

Thank you Frank, Larry.
Old January 12th, 2016, 07:15 PM

Frank Allen,I would think any hose made for use with petroleum products if you can find the correct diameter, would work inside this unit.If I remember correctly, it just used a regular worm type clamp to hold it in place. There's no pressure to make it come loose ,because it is using vacuum. Correct me if I'm wrong. Larry
Old January 23rd, 2016, 06:23 PM

Did complete brake system rebuild on my 53 98 holiday 2dr hardtop master, wheel cylinders shoes & hoses. Got much from Fusick the rest on ebay. Since I didn't use a fluid recovery system I had to make sure the reservoir which is quite small in volume didn't run dry and push air back into the system while bleeding. Also got carb and fuel pump kits from Fusick and no issues with anything.
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by 1938plymouth
Did complete brake system rebuild on my 53 98 holiday 2dr hardtop master, wheel cylinders shoes & hoses. Got much from Fusick the rest on ebay. Since I didn't use a fluid recovery system I had to make sure the reservoir which is quite small in volume didn't run dry and push air back into the system while bleeding. Also got carb and fuel pump kits from Fusick and no issues with anything.

Yeah the size of that reservoir is very small, I was wondering how i'm gonna keep it topped up when the time comes, if there was a way to add another container filled with fluid that it could draw from.
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you use a reverse bleeder that pumps fluid from the wheel cylinder back to the master cylinder, it is not a problem.
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:12 PM

brake bleed

Originally Posted by redoldsman
If you use a reverse bleeder that pumps fluid from the wheel cylinder back to the master cylinder, it is not a problem.
That's the best way but I just inserted a tight fitting funnel and put some fluid in it. Still had to check periodically.
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

No question the treadvac is a pain to work on. Brakes are my second unfavorite thing to work on behind exhaust.
Old January 26th, 2016, 04:03 PM

1953 Oldsmobile

Hey, Nigel, Craig here, Mobile Parts --
Just happened to come across this thread ---
I have everything in stock for this -- wheel cylinders, brake shoes, brake
hoses, wheel bearings and seals --
and certainly can beat Fusick's prices....
The only problem is the Treadle-Vac --- those are R & R ONLY
(as in Rebuild & Return) -- and yours would have to be sent out to be
rebuilt (my rebuilder is San Diego, California)

Might be able to provide you with a Treadle-Vac rebuilding kit -- but do you
have anyone there "across the pond" who has the know how to rebuild one
of these... They are a nightmare....
---- Craig
Old January 27th, 2016, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by mobileparts
Hey, Nigel, Craig here, Mobile Parts --
Just happened to come across this thread ---
I have everything in stock for this -- wheel cylinders, brake shoes, brake
hoses, wheel bearings and seals --
and certainly can beat Fusick's prices....
The only problem is the Treadle-Vac --- those are R & R ONLY
(as in Rebuild & Return) -- and yours would have to be sent out to be
rebuilt (my rebuilder is San Diego, California)

Might be able to provide you with a Treadle-Vac rebuilding kit -- but do you
have anyone there "across the pond" who has the know how to rebuild one
of these... They are a nightmare....
---- Craig
I don't believe my luck, Craig I wish I had known you sooner, but I ordered all my stuff from Fusicks back when I first bought the car, and yes it was expensive.
All I can say is that for anyone reading this thread they will know to give you a call first....I bought my original style Fuel filters from Craig and he's a great guy to do business with, very helpful and knowledgeable.
Old January 27th, 2016, 08:14 AM

Nigel, if you haven't already rebuilt you Treadle Vac brake system,maybe you can locate someone who is familiar with '60's -'70's 1 ton and larger trucks . I know that many Fords, Chevrolets and International (farm or dump trucks) had frame mounted vacuum brakes (similar to treadle vac on Olds) .Might give you a broader range of mechanics ,that would understand the systems. With that and your Oldsmobile shop manual ,it might make the rebuild easier. I was told the best lubricant for the leather seal in the unit needed to be lubricated with 100% Neatsfoot oil (Usually sold at saddle and bridle supply stores. Best of luck,they are really not as complicated as you might think. Larry
Old January 27th, 2016, 10:25 AM

Nigel, if you haven't already rebuilt you Treadle Vac brake system,maybe you can locate someone who is familiar with '60's -'70's 1 ton and larger trucks . I know that many Fords, Chevrolets and International (farm or dump trucks) had frame mounted vacuum brakes (similar to treadle vac on Olds) .Might give you a broader range of mechanics ,that would understand the systems. With that and your Oldsmobile shop manual ,it might make the rebuild easier. I was told the best lubricant for the leather seal in the unit needed to be lubricated with 100% Neatsfoot oil (Usually sold at saddle and bridle supply stores. Best of luck,they are really not as complicated as you might think. Larry
Not done it yet Larry, waiting for the better weather, and thanks for the heads up on the oil for the seal, i'll make sure and do that.
Gonna have a little trawl of the internet tonight and see if there is anyone over here familiar with Treadle Vac's, although I'm sorta looking forward to having a go myself.
Old January 27th, 2016, 10:36 AM

Nigel, I rebuilt my treadle vac in my '55 on the bench with the kit from Fusick. It was easy peasy (We spent a year south of Manchester in Wilmslow.) Also, the rubber hose inside mine had to be replaced, but it's an off the shelf part. Just get the same size vacuum hose, or reinforced fuel hose. Mine worked flawlessly from the word go. I seriously spent more time prepping and painting the case than I did with the rebuild.
Give it a go.
Cheers, Jerry

Last edited by twintracks; January 27th, 2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old January 27th, 2016, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by twintracks
I seriously spent more time prepping and painting the case than I did with the rebuild.
Give it a go.
Cheers, Jerry
Sounds about right...lol
I'm definitely gonna give it a go, I think the fact that it plays such an important part in stopping the car that I was worrying that it maybe needs a pro, but once I get it out and stripped down I'll know more.
Wilmslow is a lovely little village Jerry, and in a nice part of the country.
Thank you mate.
Old January 27th, 2016, 04:02 PM

Hooray Nigel,glad you are going for it .Jerry and I have both rebuilt ours without sending them out and paying big bucks. You will be proud. Let us know how it goes. Larry
Old January 27th, 2016, 09:55 PM

Hi Nigel
If you change your mind there is a guy in Sweden that rebuild the Treadle-Vac, I think a full rebuild of the booster it self goes for a little less than 400EUR.
Just let me know if you need the contact.
/ Andreas
Old January 28th, 2016, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Andreas.Johansson
Hi Nigel
If you change your mind there is a guy in Sweden that rebuild the Treadle-Vac, I think a full rebuild of the booster it self goes for a little less than 400EUR.
Just let me know if you need the contact.
/ Andreas
Cheers Andreas.
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:11 PM

Bendix Treadle Rebuild

Well guys I got the Vac unit out today and couldn't wait to get stuck in, what I found inside was an unbelievable mess, these brakes can't have worked properly in years...
Attached Images
IMG_20160205_160952.jpg (1.58 MB, 10 views)
IMG_20160205_162007.jpg (1.93 MB, 11 views)
IMG_20160205_162047.jpg (1.75 MB, 8 views)
IMG_20160205_164247.jpg (1.59 MB, 10 views)
IMG_20160205_165814.jpg (1.32 MB, 10 views)
IMG_20160205_165854.jpg (1.19 MB, 9 views)
IMG_20160205_170113.jpg (1.13 MB, 9 views)
IMG_20160205_170801.jpg (1.64 MB, 9 views)
IMG_20160205_170808.jpg (1.73 MB, 9 views)

Last edited by Eightbanger; February 5th, 2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That really is a mess. You have your work cutout for you. Be sure you check the inside of the master cylinder after you get it cleaned up to see if it is pitted. If it is you will need to get somebody to put a sleeve in it.
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:39 PM

No pitting Red, it was a little messed up at the bottom where all that rusty fluid had puddled, cleaned it out and smoothed off with emery cloth and steel wool.

Here's the rest of the tear down for anyone else wanting to tackle this...
Attached Images
IMG_20160205_171909.jpg (1.19 MB, 8 views)
IMG_20160205_171942.jpg (1.33 MB, 7 views)
IMG_20160205_172405.jpg (1.21 MB, 7 views)
IMG_20160205_172528.jpg (1.22 MB, 7 views)
IMG_20160205_172552.jpg (1.28 MB, 8 views)
IMG_20160205_173000.jpg (1.33 MB, 7 views)
IMG_20160205_173023.jpg (1.48 MB, 7 views)
IMG_20160205_173103.jpg (1.21 MB, 7 views)
IMG_20160205_173128.jpg (1.20 MB, 7 views)
IMG_20160205_173242.jpg (1.44 MB, 6 views)
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:44 PM

More...
Picture # 10 shows the rebuild kit from Fusick, didn't realize you get a new cylinder..
Attached Images
IMG_20160205_173308.jpg (1.22 MB, 5 views)
IMG_20160205_173328.jpg (1.66 MB, 4 views)
IMG_20160205_173418.jpg (1.18 MB, 5 views)
IMG_20160205_173440.jpg (1.12 MB, 5 views)
IMG_20160205_173704.jpg (1.12 MB, 5 views)
IMG_20160205_173726.jpg (1.48 MB, 6 views)
IMG_20160205_174503.jpg (1.33 MB, 5 views)
IMG_20160205_175123.jpg (1.55 MB, 6 views)
IMG_20160205_175533.jpg (1.31 MB, 6 views)
IMG_20160205_175958.jpg (1.61 MB, 10 views)
IMG_20160205_180400.jpg (1.42 MB, 10 views)

Last edited by Eightbanger; February 5th, 2016 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 53 Brake rebuild?