Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Wheel lug and nut size

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2015, 12:14 PM

Wheel lug and nut size

I need to order from SOMEWHERE all lugs and nuts for my 55 super 88. Does anyone here know what size I should be looking for? Thanks in advance
Old July 1st, 2015, 03:27 PM
Administrator

I moved your post to the Vintage Olds section. I believe they are 1/2-20 but I'll let the others chime in to confirm. Or you can take a sample of the ones you have to the auto parts store and they can match up a set.
Old July 1st, 2015, 03:37 PM

You need ten 1/2-20 right hand thread and ten 1/2-20 left handed thread. 13/16 nut size
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:05 PM

Thank you, gentlemen.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 07:14 PM

I spoke with my local NAPA store and I was told they can't get them. Also, I need a new driver door window track ... Any ideas?
Old July 3rd, 2015, 08:30 PM

I can't understand why everybody thinks these are impossible to get. NAPA wasn't doing their homework. There are numerous auctions on EBay for them, Dorman catalog has them and Fusick has them as well. The window channel can come from Fusick, Restoration Specialty Supply, or type in the right keywords and come up with a bunch on that auction site
Old July 3rd, 2015, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
I can't understand why everybody thinks these are impossible to get. NAPA wasn't doing their homework. There are numerous auctions on EBay for them, Dorman catalog has them and Fusick has them as well. The window channel can come from Fusick, Restoration Specialty Supply, or type in the right keywords and come up with a bunch on that auction site
Thanks 59 59 59. As far as NAPA goes I guess you really can't fix stupid.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:58 PM

Left hand threaded wheel studs and nuts

Originally Posted by Fitti Fi
Thanks 59 59 59. As far as NAPA goes I guess you really can't fix stupid.

No you can't fix stupid but a lot of the time you can circumvent it. If you do enough business with your local parts store as I do, you get to know who knows their stuff, who is willing to get their face out of the computer and look in the books and who will go the extra mile for you. I will lurk in the aisle until the smart counter guy or gal can help me and then step up to the counter or I will just say I need to talk to Bob about this old car part. That latter phrase usually sends the neophytes running to check on someone's order or some other made up excuse for not serving you.

Mostly you have twenty-somethings working the counter who were not in the work force when Oldsmobile bit the dust and Oldsmobile likely isn't on the computer parts list except for common replacement items like oil filters, spark plugs etc. Not much demand for knowing about Oldsmobiles, Studebakers, Plymouths, Pontiacs etc. or left hand lug nuts/studs either as I don't think any modern car or light truck comes equipped with them. Some either don't want to or don't know how to use that huge stack of manuals and catalogs under the counter.

The best counter people regularly exceed what it is reasonable to expect of them. I see them testing alternators, starters and batteries and installing windshield wipers on customer's cars.

At least at our local NAPA there is regular turnover of the less knowledgeable and less service oriented and the better counter people seem to stay around for years instead of months. Two of the counter people have been there more than10 years and are great to work with.
Jerry
Old July 4th, 2015, 05:40 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I endorse what you say, Jerry.
It doesn't matter much which auto parts store you use as much as how good is the guy behind the counter.
The manager of Carquest in Llano, Tx is a fine example. Many times she has bent over backwards to help me, patiently translating my English into American, and even giving me a bit of discount for big purchases. One time she managed to find a distributor for a '68 Rambler for me, and get it from Illinois to Texas in two days for no shipping charge.
We owe it to these guys to make sure we give them all the business we can, even if parts may cost an extra buck or so, when they are gone we will be in serious trouble.

Roger.
Old July 9th, 2015, 10:50 AM

I work for Oreilly and we have both left and right hand lug nuts 1/2 20. You might call to see if they have them in stock. Dorman # 611-031 Left hand thread # 611-016 right hand thread
Old July 11th, 2015, 01:51 PM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by rustyroger
I endorse what you say, Jerry.
It doesn't matter much which auto parts store you use as much as how good is the guy behind the counter.
The manager of Carquest in Llano, Tx is a fine example. Many times she has bent over backwards to help me, patiently translating my English into American, and even giving me a bit of discount for big purchases. One time she managed to find a distributor for a '68 Rambler for me, and get it from Illinois to Texas in two days for no shipping charge.
We owe it to these guys to make sure we give them all the business we can, even if parts may cost an extra buck or so, when they are gone we will be in serious trouble.

Roger.
Absolutely, I was working on my '74 Capri. Looking for a air pump, (Yes CA smog,) and wanted stock. Took over an hour but local Napa parts person went through the catalog, and we found it under Chevy pickups. Identical air pump. Who'd a thought.

It helps a lot, get the right person, and be patient Googling stuff. Takes time. Then again, most of these cars have survived the time....
Old July 12th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Fitti Fi
I spoke with my local NAPA store and I was told they can't get them. Also, I need a new driver door window track ... Any ideas?
NAPA 641-2025 Left Hand Thread. Just bought a box of them.

Frank
Old July 12th, 2015, 05:12 PM

I suspect that you already have all the information you will need, but just in case, here are the GM part numbers (as of 1959):

Group 5.813

L.H. thread 499550

R.H. thread 516637
Old July 12th, 2015, 09:04 PM

Thanks Frank/Ozzie. I ordered some online.