Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

55 Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Brent in Georgia

55 Dual Exhaust

There was no dual exhaust option in 55, so there is not enough room to run the exhaust over the axle. The drivers side has the brake lines and the tank is to close for a pipe. My exhaust guy ran them under the axle. The only problem is if I need to change a tire or have it lifted on a frame hoist the tail pipe hangers need to me released so the axle can drop without busting stuff.
Here are the pictures

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...1&d=1429884689
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...1&d=1429884740
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...1&d=1429884740
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
new tail pipes1.jpg (66.1 KB, 144 views)
new tail pipes2.jpg (59.1 KB, 60 views)
new tail pipes 3.jpg (52.2 KB, 54 views)
new tail pipes 4.jpg (56.3 KB, 62 views)
Old April 24th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I guess I don't understand why he had to run those under the rear end. The 56 had duals available and it is pretty much the same car on the back half. My problem on the 54 is getting by the power steering (it can be done I know). The frame has to be cut to get the exhaust pipe in and the tailpipe out. I am pretty sure Tedd has duals on his 55 convertible. At some point I will probably take the car to my muffler guy and leave it with him for a couple days so he can get it done. I really don't know why because it sounds about right with one Smitty on it.

Last edited by redoldsman; April 24th, 2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old April 24th, 2015, 05:51 PM

I also would have my doubts on that under the axle installation. I'm sure that will be a issue on a few speed bumps you will encounter.As Redoldsman said the rear isn't near the problem as is the front of the installation.

Somewhere I had a picture posted of the bottom of a 55(not mine) that shows just how it can be done and takes away all the difficulty of trying to explain all the twist and turns but I cant find it. Love our search feature on this site.Some day when I can get mine up on a lift I'll take a few pictures and post them for people who may need it in the future. If nothing else it would be nice to give to your muffler guy so he doesn't have to reinvent the wheel....Tedd
Old April 24th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would really like to see those pictures if you can find them Tedd. I don't think my muffler guy has a plazma cutter to cut the frame. I don't really want it cut with a torch. I can probably go over and get Richard (Gearshead78) to cut it for me. That could be a project for next winter.
Old April 25th, 2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I would really like to see those pictures if you can find them Tedd. I don't think my muffler guy has a plazma cutter to cut the frame. I don't really want it cut with a torch. I can probably go over and get Richard (Gearshead78) to cut it for me. That could be a project for next winter.
Other than cosmetics I wouldn't worry about using a torch. The cuts are in the web of the frame and if done quickly there won't be enough heat transfer to hurt anything, it's a very large thick frame..... Tedd
Old April 25th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Tedd. I know the convertible frame is like a section from a bridge. I was more concerned about cosmetics. I don't know why since I am the only one that ever sees under there. There really I some thick heavy steel under there.
Old April 27th, 2015, 06:22 AM

The suspension will unload when cresting a hill at speed as well. It doesn't have to go airborne to do it. That can't be the best solution.