Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

52-56 Oldsmobile Green Engine Paint

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2013, 03:18 PM

52-56 Oldsmobile Green Engine Paint

Does anyone know where to get aerosol cans of this color other than Fusick or USA Parts. I could buy Bill Hirsch's product and thin it for a spray gun but would rather use cans. No one wants to carry this stuff anymore.
Old August 15th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

I don't know the answer, but I am curious as to why you're looking for a 3rd vendor when USA & Fusick already have it? I've always used Fusick's stuff with no problems. Have you had problems with it?
Old August 15th, 2013, 06:43 AM

Bill Hirschs product is excellent and even when brushed will smooth out like a spray job. His paint is excellent and super thick like mozza cheese. That means it will last.
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:39 AM

I guess cost and availability has something to do with it. Have used Hirsch's product on a Packard sometime ago with good results. Can find other Olds spray can engine colors from other vendors but no Olds green
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by Olds Scott
I guess cost and availability has something to do with it. Have used Hirsch's product on a Packard sometime ago with good results. Can find other Olds spray can engine colors from other vendors but no Olds green
I see your point - well, thanks to the EPA and Homeland Security regulations, manufacturing and shipping paints has gone through the roof. I'm guessing the small niche of Olds green for these motors doesn't warrant it to be produced by many others.

Post if you happen on any other suppliers
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm surprised Hirsch doesn't have it in a spray can - he has all the others.

- Eric
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:53 AM

I thinned Hirschs' with lacquer thinner and sprayed it with an electric spray gun. Nothing nicer than having extra engine paint kicking around, well worth the investment if you plan on keeping for few years.Plus the color is right. I recall usa auto supply sold both the spray and quarts. Never bought stuff from them.
Old August 15th, 2013, 02:04 PM

Eastwood apparently doesn't carry it. You may try contacting forum member Ross Racing Engines and see if they have any suggestions. Have you tried a local jobber? You may need the code first, or at least a sample, and I would not be surprised if that would cost more than Fusick's.

Last edited by Russ P in MD; August 15th, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old August 16th, 2013, 07:19 AM

I am leaning to Hirsch's paint thinned down to spray since the amount of paint needed for engine and transmission.
Old August 17th, 2013, 10:18 PM

I had a automotive paint dealer match mine and make a pint with hardner, has held up well for years. I think the hardner is well worth the added cost for the durability it gives....Tedd
Old February 22nd, 2017, 08:23 PM

I purchased a green engine aerosol can from Fusick EP60S, works out fine.
Problem is that paint can’t shipped overseas. After varnishing I compared it with RAL colors. And the Old's engine green is very similar to RAL 6005 moss green. Just in case someone wants to know.
Old February 24th, 2017, 12:06 PM
74 2.8L Capri

I've been curious for a while now, and maybe someone can answer this question.

Every engine picture I've seen on the Olds 54-56 engine intake manifold, has the center intake tubes discolored. After painting my engine, and several outings, my middle intake risers on the manifold discolored and burned the paint. The block is fine, around the exhaust manifolds is fine, but not the intake manifold.

Why does this part of the manifold run so hot? I used Fusick's spray cans.
Old February 24th, 2017, 10:47 PM

Back in carburetor days engines needed help atomizing the air fuel mixture so exhaust crossover tubes were cast into the intake manifold. The added heat under the carburetor which warmed the fuel mixture and apparently made it run more efficiently while warming up and in cold weather.
Its a common practice now to entirely or partially block off those heat crossover tubes under the theory the engine, once warmed up, will have better power with a colder fuel mixture.

Edelbrock will supply heat blocks if you want them. they're on my 455 engine with an Edelbrock Performer Intake. They're made of a fairly soft alloy and can be 'tapped' into place. There is a more precise method of pouring molten lead to block the heat crossover but I've never done it or seen it done.

There is more here, particularly #6: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-manifold.html
Jerry
Old February 25th, 2017, 08:12 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Thanks Jerry. I think, for now, it's easier to just keep everything in place. My 324 is rather cold blooded after start. It does explain the issue.