Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2012, 03:51 PM

1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?

The 46-48 owners I have run across on this site seem to be few and far between. It would be useful and interesting to get a count and establish some communication for mutual help in parts and fixing up. Doesn't make any difference if you are rodding or restoring. There is a wealth of knowledge on both sides of that fence that should be shared.

The good folks who keep this valuable site say it just isn't set up to be able to do a search and come up with that information so I guess it is up to those with these cars and an interest in helping ourselves learn and benefit.

Please respond with a name even if it is just a first name, a town and state and the year and model of your Olds and whether your are just driving it, restoring or rodding. A few of you are known including one of the site moderators Citcapp.

I am Jerry in Woodland in SW Washington and have a 47 Convertible Mod. 66 which I am resto rodding. I know there are at least two 46-48 owners in Oregon as well so there must be more of you out there.

I'm as busy as anyone else but will try to make up a sub list within the Vintage Olds group and share it with all who respond.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:49 PM

Hi Jerry,
I'd hope there's more out there than just us.
My Name's Doug, and I'm located in Central Oregon. I'm building (slowly) a 1947 model 76 2 door "fastback". 455 Olds power (of course!), turbo 400, 12 bolt rear, AMC Pacer front- (don't laugh, much beefier than a mustang, bigger disks, full lower A arms and rack and pinon). As anyone working on one of these late '40's models knows, there is not a lot of aftermarket support. I've never been a 1-800 hot-rodder and like to build my own stuff, but I wish there were more examples out there to look at for ideas. Although my drive train and suspension will be updated, I plan to keep the body and interior stock appearing. The car will be used to tow my vintage trailer(s).

PS, Re-read this after posting, and got a laugh out of the fact that my "updated suspension and drivetrain" is all 1970's stuff!

Last edited by D.Mac; January 23rd, 2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: cuz I wanna.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:18 PM

46 47 48 Oldsmobile

Doug, I think we talked a week or two ago about a hood latch. Thanks for replying. You and I and Citcapp are all rodding with 455 Olds and other modifications.

At last year's Rod and Custom show at the Portland Expo Center there was a 46-48 Olds fastback, two tone green if I remember, that was exhibited with about a 1940s single axle vacation trailer of 24 ft. or so. The battery on my camera was kaput or I would have taken a lot of pics. I'm thinking that rig must be from the NW somewhere but I neglected to get any information either as the owner was busy talking to friends.

You are welcome to stop by my place anytime and crawl under, over and all around my 47 if you think there might be ideas you could use. I like pik n' pull parts and fabricating much more than the 1-800 places too.

I don't want to speak for Citcapp but it might be worth your while to contact him as well. I also ran across a post from Tom3807(?) who has a 48 model 60 but don't know anymore than that. I'm guessing he is rodding since he was looking for build information.

I looked and looked for a Pacer front suspension but the few available were priced out of reason or missing a lot of parts. I know they are good and were in vogue before MIIs if memory serves. There just weren't a lot of them produced though.
Regards,
Jerry
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:41 AM

hey guys trying to keep this thread alive. i own a 48 model 66. u can check out my pics in my profile. not much done. ive got a drivetrain for it but it not what i wanted. sbc 350/350 trans. i know, i know its not an olds, but its what i could afford at the time and i was impatient. any ways i think i have a few pictures from shows with some olds from this era. ill have to check. btw the name is alex from hesperia, ca
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:49 PM

Alex's 48 Fastback Model 66

Looks like a good find and a fun project to me. Is it up and running now?

I added you to my contact list along with DMac and will add Citcapp. Hey, we're making progress as that is four now and I know there are others including a guy who posted on the site from Beaverton (?) Oregon.

The best way to keep track of who has these 46-48 cars seems to me to be adding the owners to your contact list on this site. There's gotta be more 46-48 Olds owners out there. I just gotta find them and hope they would like to make contact with the rest of us who own these cars.

Don't apologize for the Chev 350/350 combination. When you're starting out and have lots of other expenses like a family, a home, trying to save for your future etc. you drive what you got. If you hang onto the 48 there is plenty of time later if you want to change power plants.

Thanks for posting and keep in touch,
Jerry
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:45 PM

I'm here and willing to help anyway I can. Mine is a series 76 2DR sedanette
otherwise known as a fast or beetle back.

Highly modified 455, Mustang II heavy duty rack and pinion. 5-speed stick
and ford 9" rear all disc brakes. Body shaved and filled. Still a work in progress
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:22 PM

Hey citcapp question for u, what vehicle did u get ur 9" rear end from? I'm looking to upgrade the rear end. Any help I would appreciate thanks. @ jerry the olds isn't running yet. Ive been mocking the motor/trans in the car. Hopefully by this summer I'll have it going. I've got big plans for the olds but like everyone I have the time, just no money( and certain tools). I'll definitely post updates when I have a chance

Last edited by 480ldsmobile; February 1st, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:30 PM

Citcapp, Thanks for your generous offer of help. If you know anyone other than this small group who has a 46-48 invite them to respond to this thread so we can make them a contact
Jerry
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by 480ldsmobile
Hey citcapp question for u, what vehicle did u get ur 9" rear end from? I'm looking to upgrade the rear end. Any help I would appreciate thanks. @ jerry the olds isn't running yet. Ive been mocking the motor/trans in the car. Hopefully by this summer I'll have it going. I've got big plans for the olds but like everyone I have the time, just no money( and certain tools). I'll definitely post updates when I have a chance

Mine came out of a 75 Granada it is a large bearing unit with one of the strongest housings. here are a couple of web site to check out for 9" dimensions and types of housings. Mine has been narrowed and the body has been tubbed for 10" to 12" wheels.

http://www.carnut.com/specs/rear.html

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:36 AM

Citcapp,
Those are great links to information that most of us who rod our cars need from time to time. I am active on a 36 Chevy owners site and I bet the query about "which rear ends will fit" comes up at least twice a month. With your permission I'd like to post these links on that site too. Are these links referenced in 'tech' or other section of this site?
Thanks for the information.
Jerry
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Citcapp,
Those are great links to information that most of us who rod our cars need from time to time. I am active on a 36 Chevy owners site and I bet the query about "which rear ends will fit" comes up at least twice a month. With your permission I'd like to post these links on that site too. Are these links referenced in 'tech' or other section of this site?
Thanks for the information.
Jerry
No there not on any tech site here. I found them while researching the ford 9" for my Olds. Pass them on to anyone that could use them. That's what this is all about.

If and when we get our cars on the road all of us northwest guys will have to meet up someplace in the center. Everyone of course is invited not matter where you live

Pat
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:56 PM

thanks for the info citcapp. those links have some good info in them. btw your 57 olds is awesome.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by 480ldsmobile
thanks for the info citcapp. those links have some good info in them. btw your 57 olds is awesome.

Thanks, Yeah the 57 is my pride and joy. Can't even walk by it without smiling.
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:04 PM

Dynamic 78

i'm new to the forum since yesterday but this string prompted me to sign up for the forum. i have treasured my Dynamic 78 since i pulled her from a farmers woods almost 37 years ago. I've restored her twice and yet still run the straight 8 257 with the hydramatic. i gues she's a resto rod since everything but the driveline has been semi custom. i do realize that a rod usually starts with power and driveline but i just couldn't bring myself to the point where i could just pull and dump the 257 flathead. Just finished a full leather interior and the final pieces of chrome. almost ready for another summer of crusin. I know there are few 4 door rods but the longer i have owned the car the more i realize there just aren't very many of these old girls around. The back to the fifties show here in Minnesota had over 13,000 cars last year and i think there were a total of 6 of the 46-48 vintage Olds. there were 2- 60 series club coupes, 1 -60 series club sedan, 1 60 series 4 door sedan 1 - 70 series club sedan and my 78 series 4 door sedan . Take a peak at the pic. I'll try to post some of the interior shots when i get the car back home this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tn_full_100_4347.jpg (85.9 KB, 192 views)
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:08 PM

Parts for 48 70 Series

Sorry i should have mentioned that i am looking for the piece of sheet metal that goes in front of the radiator (bolts between the fenders and attaches to the grille) that holds the hood latch assm. Been lookin for 37 yrs. anybody?
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Smile Dynamic 78's 48 Olds

That's a very cool Olds. Is all the suspension original? I kind of like the idea of keeping the flathead 8 in it. dual exhaust sounds good on them too. Used to be no one wanted a 4-dr. but the older I get the more practical they seem to be. I think on Ebay there was an old Fenton dual carb intake for the straight 8 offered earlier this week but the price, as expected, was pretty high. Still, dual carbs and exhaust and the old Olds might step out real smartly.

Thanks for joining up and for coming onto the thread. It would be a good idea to make everyone who has been on the thread a contact so we can kind of keep track of 46-48 owners. Also, add more pics when you get time.
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:17 PM

I will send a PM (personal message) with a link to a guy who might have one.
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:21 PM

Thanks 47 convert. That would be fantastic. i did have a local guy who said he had one but you know how that goes i should have gotten his phone number instead of giving him mine.
Old February 11th, 2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by 1948-78
Sorry i should have mentioned that i am looking for the piece of sheet metal that goes in front of the radiator (bolts between the fenders and attaches to the grille) that holds the hood latch assm. Been lookin for 37 yrs. anybody?
I believe that same piece was also used on the Buick's and Pontiac's of the 40's
Old February 11th, 2012, 03:59 PM

Citcapp's message re. 46-48 parts interchange

I've found a number of parts that will interchange with Olds, Pontiac and some Chevy's (Chevy's only if your Olds is a 60 series). For example, I recently put a passenger side door from a 1947 Pontiac Convertible on my '47 Olds convertible. I had to reuse the fender extension from the Olds but no big deal as it was straight and rust free.

I have and recommend the 16th Edition of the Hollander Interchange which covers a lot of mechanical and some sheet metal interchanges on various automobiles.

I don't sell them or benefit in any way from the sale of them but have found the Hollander indispensable when scrounging parts for cars from the 30s and 40s. I found my reproduction copy at the Portland Swap Meet but I know they can be had from the publishing company. Google "The Hollander" and go from there.

Jerry
Old February 12th, 2012, 02:42 PM

48-78 sedan interior

As i mentioned below i would attach a few more images of the new interior. Check it out. My sons mother in law purchased a large lot of leather and felt compelled to offer as much as i needed for the car for free. It was impossible to pass on the free material.. Had a local rod builder/upholstery guy do it for me as i'm much better with a welder than a sewing machine.
Attached Images
DSCN3227.jpg (34.3 KB, 189 views)
DSCN3231.jpg (28.1 KB, 170 views)
DSCN3230.jpg (27.0 KB, 166 views)
Old February 12th, 2012, 03:55 PM

re 1947-78 Upholstery

Wow! That's a great looking interior. I have some idea of the value of all that cowhide as I had my 36 Chevy done in leather (seats and panels) about two years ago. I'm really impressed with that look. Always happy to look at people's cars and admire the things that have been done.

I don't think you mentioned what area of the Country you live in ( and maybe I'm being too curious) but it is always interesting to know where different people live. Citcapp, D.Mac and myself all live in the Pacific NW (Oregon and Washington) I believe 48 Oldsmobile is in California and I know of one more member who hasn't responded to the thread who lives in Oregon near Portland. I do wish the membership list was set up as more of a relational database so you could place people, cars and places but alas, the powers on this site say it is not. Thanks for sending along the interior pics.
Jerry
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:31 AM

i'm from Forest Lake , MN a suburb NE of Minneapolis St Paul. When it comes to 46-48's i personally know of three others in this area. Some of these guys i have gotten to know through car shows and of course since we have similar cars in common it's easy to find things to talk about. Probably the nicest one in this group is a 46 rod from Hastings MN that if i remember correctly won Street Rod of the yr from MSRA in 2008 or 09. http://www.msra.com/ So occasionally these old cars get a little attention.
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:29 AM

Wow really nice work! even got woodwork on the doors.
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:19 PM

Sweet interior. Now I have a target to work toward. Mine will be different but hope to make just as nice
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:28 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:51 AM

455 Sanderson headers

Here's a picture of my new coated Sanderson Headers for my 455 in the 48. Now I can proceed with final test fit
Attached Images
IMAG0172.jpg (60.1 KB, 134 views)
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Here's a picture of my new coated Sanderson Headers for my 455 in the 48. Now I can proceed with final test fit

Good choice of a quality header for your application.

That is the header set I chose after test fitting 455 engine in my 47 Convertible. The only significant issues were on the drivers side with the steering column and shaft clearing headers and threading the steering shaft around/through engine mount. If I recall from pic you sent your steering assembly is already mounted and there are motor mounts already. You may not have any of those issues depending on motor mount shape and location.

My Crank Pulley wound up very close to the MII crossmember and the rack and pinion. I added a washer or two to the R&P mounts to distance the R&P from crossmember and allow enough room to change the fan belts when the need occurs. Again, that is a result of where I placed the engine mounts. If I'd made them 1/2 inch higher there would not have been the clearance problem with steering and crossmember.

Good luck on your final fitment and take some pics.
Jerry
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:49 PM

They way my motor mounts are set up the steering rod from the knuckle support runs next to the frame thru the motor mount well away from the down tube of the header. The collector adapter is slanted back at a 30 degree angle to help with the exhaust install. This will help greatly with the routing.

Plan on a test fit this or next weekend to see if my pre-planning pays off
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:13 PM

455 exhaust, '47 rear axle

Those Sanderson headers are nice, but I like cast iron exhaust manifolds, so I picked-up a set of Thornton Reproductions W-30 style manifolds. They fit in the '47 real well, no issues on either side and plenty of room for steering.
Right now I'm jigging-up the rear axle, getting ready to transfer the '47 mounts to the new housing. Next will be finalizing the rear shock location and mounts. I'm leaning towards rear mounted shocks as on the early '60's Chev pick-ups that also used trailing arm suspension. Anyone have any other ideas or pictures of finished shock installations?
Doug
Attached Images
IMG_0689.jpg (59.2 KB, 138 views)
IMG_0691.jpg (62.6 KB, 128 views)
IMG_0694.jpg (68.5 KB, 138 views)
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:53 PM

manifolds and rear ends for 46-48s

Doug, I attached a picture of the rear end under my 47 which also uses trailing arm and coils. Trailing arms are original 47 Olds. My shocks can't be seen in pic but are forward of axle. Rest of rear end is 67 GTO. I don't see any issues with mounting shocks rear of axle housing. The caveat is that the thing isn't a runner yet so I don't know how it will work.

I like your jig set up. Should work nice. If you can wait a few days I can provide a pic or two of the shocks.
Attached Images
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:08 AM

Hey Guys, my name is Doug and I just recently joined the forum. I bought a 1948 Olds 98 last fall and I'm starting to assemble parts. You guys are so far away I guess I'm representin the East Coast. I'm from East-End of Long Island NY. My car is a 2-door coupe. People call it a fastback or sedanette, what is the proper name anyway? As you would expect it needs metal work on the rockers and doors. Would love to find some of that virgin west coast metal if possible. Need doors especially, for the rockers I should be able to use repro stuff. I tried to post some pics but the files are too large I'll work on that. I have a low mileage '49 rocket motor and trans that I would like to put in the '48, I thought that would be kinda cool and not too hard to accomplish. I have 4 kids so time is not something I have a lot of. I'll be keeping up with the posts, Thanks, Doug
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:03 AM

Doug's 48 98

Hi Doug and Welcome. Thanks for your comments. I do think you can get reproduction stuff for the rockers but don't know about the doors. Your car being a 98 will be a slightly different body style (Futramic?) with two grille bars??? and the fenders look different as well if I'm remembering right.

I'll be looking forward to seeing pics. It just takes a little study to post thumbnails with a message. jpg. is the best format and getting them down to size is best done before you try to attach. To size down I make a copy of the original and then edit that so I still have the larger size should I want to use it. If you scroll down below the box where you are composing the message you will find the windows 'Misc. Options' and then 'Attach Files'. Within 'attach files' click on the 'Manage attachments' window and it will take you to another window where you can click on the 'browse' window which will take you to your picture files on your computer. Just select the picture you want, click the button to attach/upload and if you want more just repeat the process.

I think the 49 V8 and trans is a great idea but have no idea of the degree of difficulty in swapping it out.

As you know from reading the thread I'm trying to build a list of as many 46-48 owners as I can and make each of them a 'contact' within Classic Oldsmobile . Com so we can be helpful to each other with information and possibly parts or leads on parts.
Jerry

Last edited by 47 Convertible; March 6th, 2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: correct 'fat thumb' error
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:24 PM

Welcome Doug,
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
...Your car being a 98 will be a slightly different body style (Futramic?)
Yes, the 48 98 was the first Olds to use the Futuramic styling. In my opinion, it is also the most beautiful Olds of the era. With all the modern styling of the 49-up cars, but cleaner trim-wise, the 48 just looks very understated and classy.
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:54 AM

Hopefully this pic comes out as an attachment. It's the day I picked up the car and brought it to my buddies shop.
Attached Images
'48 Oldsmobile 007.jpg (90.4 KB, 156 views)
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by D.Mac
.... Next will be finalizing the rear shock location and mounts. I'm leaning towards rear mounted shocks as on the early '60's Chev pick-ups that also used trailing arm suspension. Anyone have any other ideas or pictures of finished shock installations?
Doug
Doug. thumbnails below show my rear shock mounts on the 47 convertible.
Lower attachment is on trailing arm on fabricated mount. Upper is on what I believe is an existing mount that has been reinforced.
Sorry this took so long and hope it is still helpful.
Jerry
Attached Images
47 rear shock lower mount.jpg (38.9 KB, 118 views)
47 rear shock upper mount.jpg (46.4 KB, 99 views)
Old March 11th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for the pics. Got the new housing jigged and the '47 mounts tacked in place, still undecided on shock placement. There's not a lot of room to work with as you know. I was leaning towards mounting the shocks to the rear, but between the springs, the sway bar and the gas tank, there's not much real estate that's not already occupied. A set-up like yours may just be the best bet. I'm going with billet axle housing ends and Dutchman axles (no "C" clips), I'm hoping to get up to Dutchman's around the Portland Swap meet.
Great to see so many '40's owners checking in here, show/tell us what you've got.
Doug Mc.
Attached Images
IMG_0697.jpg (62.8 KB, 113 views)
IMG_0699.jpg (57.0 KB, 98 views)
IMG_0700.jpg (65.3 KB, 102 views)
Old March 11th, 2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by D.Mac
Hi Jerry,
Thanks for the pics. I'm going with billet axle housing ends and Dutchman axles (no "C" clips), I'm hoping to get up to Dutchman's around the Portland Swap meet.
Great to see so many '40's owners checking in here, show/tell us what you've got.
Doug Mc.
Doug,
I'm not much of a fan of C-clip rears either. Yet another reason I was happy to have the BOP type rear end.

If you make it to swap meet I will be at #1195 at the PIR site along with a brother. I'm bringing some 47 pieces incl. sheet metal and bumpers and some small stuff and dash stuff to try to get rid of. It would be a pleasure to meet you. If you pm me I will send back a cell ph. # in case I'm not around the space when you are.
Jerry
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Guys
I have been looking into a hotrod build on a prewar four door sedan and was thinking of putting a Jaguar rear end under it, the whole unit, rear end, axles, suspension, disk brakes, wheels the whole nine yards, this seems as though it would eliminate a lot of fabrication and space issues and give you independent rear suspension to boot, has anyone thought this through or done this and if so what are the issues related to this conversion?... Tedd

Quick Reply: 1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?