Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Lifting your car onto jack stands

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:11 PM

Lifting your car onto jack stands

Hello;
I'm just curious how you lift your cars up to place jack stands under all 4 corners?
I have a 3.5 ton jack that I have been lifting each corner separately to allow me to slide a 6 ton stand under the frame. I have always found this awkward and a little un-nerving trying to get it high enough. I was looking at the engine cross member wondering if I could lift the front in one shot rather then a corner at a time.
Any suggestions would be appreciated...of course I would love to put a 4 post lift in but always seams to be other things to spend my money on.

Thanks
Mark
Old December 3rd, 2016, 03:07 PM
Administrator

I jack the car up by the front cross member, place jack stands where I want them. Then I move the jack under the center of the rear end, lift and place jack stands where I want them.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 03:43 PM

Hello Eric, do you mean under the rear diff?

Mark
Old December 3rd, 2016, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Yes
Old December 3rd, 2016, 03:47 PM

Be careful with the front cross member. It can be oily and if you are using a polyethylene pad on your jack it can slide out if not centered properly. Also, use wheel chocks while jacking so the car doesn't slide back or forward. If you are careful and don't put any part of you car under the car you should be OK use the jacking points Eric suggests. I like my 6ton jacks because I can get the car quite high if required.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 03:53 PM

Thanks guys, I do use the wheel chocks and always careful while its on the jack. There is a large oval opening dead centre of the engine cross member which I could bridge with a hard wood block, or possibly make up an adapter to go on the jack. I'm not sure if my jack will get under the rear diff housing and be able to still pump the jack handle since the trunk is so long on it. I'll have to try that. I had thought about that but didn't know if the diff housing would be strong enough to handle the force on it.

Mark
Old December 3rd, 2016, 03:56 PM

It definitely helps to have a big heavy duty floor jack with a low prfilr and a long handle.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:21 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Lifting the rear under the center of the differential is standard and has been for about a century, I think.

Lifting the front under the center "skid plate" may be less standard, but it's what I've done for decades.

You'll find with an older frame car that any place you lift will cause some flexing - it's just a question of where and how much it bothers you.

- Eric
Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mark57
Thanks guys, I do use the wheel chocks and always careful while its on the jack. There is a large oval opening dead centre of the engine cross member which I could bridge with a hard wood block, or possibly make up an adapter to go on the jack. I'm not sure if my jack will get under the rear diff housing and be able to still pump the jack handle since the trunk is so long on it. I'll have to try that. I had thought about that but didn't know if the diff housing would be strong enough to handle the force on it.

Mark

put the jack on the center of the rear with the jack handle sticking out from the wheel opening
Old December 4th, 2016, 04:47 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate all the advice.