Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

proform distributors

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2016, 07:17 AM

proform distributors

yall ever heard of proform distirbutors? they say they make a hei for a 324.
Old November 9th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by fatback
yall ever heard of proform distirbutors? they say they make a hei for a 324.
The finest Chinesium parts around.

I don't see any distributors for the first-gen Olds motors on their website. They only list one Oldsmobile distributor, P/N 66955, which is for the second-gen motors.
Old November 10th, 2016, 03:11 AM

On my 55, I just converted the points to a Chrysler electronic set-up. Very easy to do, as it even aligned with one of the points mounting holes, Just had to drill one hole. Back in 83 ,when I did it, it only cost about 30$, with JC Whitney parts! Still working when I parked the car in '03.
Old November 10th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by chopolds
On my 55, I just converted the points to a Chrysler electronic set-up. Very easy to do, as it even aligned with one of the points mounting holes, Just had to drill one hole. Back in 83 ,when I did it, it only cost about 30$, with JC Whitney parts! Still working when I parked the car in '03.
Of course, today you can get one of several aftermarket electronic conversions for the stock distributor. Bolt-in with no drilling required.
Old November 10th, 2016, 05:49 AM

I had a Pertronix kit on my 64 98 with a 394. It was stupid easy to install and made the car run and start better. Of course, I think it was more like $70-$90 and this was 15 years ago.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/default.aspx
Old November 10th, 2016, 07:33 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have a Pertronix in my 54 with the Pertronix coil. It is not really going to give more power but it will give quicker starts and no maintenance. There are some people on here that still like points and we have had several friendly discussions about that. I have had a Pertonix in my boat for years.
Old November 10th, 2016, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Of course, today you can get one of several aftermarket electronic conversions for the stock distributor. Bolt-in with no drilling required.
True today, Joe, but not back then! On the other hand, if I break down almost anywhere in the country, I can find a 76 Chrysler pick-up or module to fix it!
Old November 10th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by chopolds
True today, Joe, but not back then! On the other hand, if I break down almost anywhere in the country, I can find a 76 Chrysler pick-up or module to fix it!
You think most auto parts stores will have parts for a 40 year old car? My experience is that most auto parts stores here in the mid-Atlantic have a very limited selection of parts in stock. I can't even walk in and buy things like a starter drive or alternator brushes anymore. These have to be ordered.

I just checked and none of my local Advance stores stock either your Chrysler pickup or module. Heck, they don't even stock them for a Chevy HEI of that vintage. Takes at least a day or more to get it to the store. This is why I use RockAuto all the time now.
Old November 10th, 2016, 09:23 PM

Just use the Pertronix and leave a set of points and condenser in the glove box, chances are they will out live you by a number of years and if they don't, change back to points and come home on a new set of points. It's really not a big deal to switch back unless it's dark,slick, raining and you are on a side hill like I was...... Tedd
Old November 11th, 2016, 05:28 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good idea Tedd. If you take the resister off, make sure you have it too. I left mine on and just move the wire to the distributor to the primary side of it.
Old November 11th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Just use the Pertronix and leave a set of points and condenser in the glove box, chances are they will out live you by a number of years and if they don't, change back to points and come home on a new set of points. It's really not a big deal to switch back unless it's dark,slick, raining and you are on a side hill like I was...... Tedd
Of course, this begs the question, if you are so unsure of the parts you have installed that you need to carry spares, why install them in the first place? Just sayin'...

Of course, I still carry a spare tire in all my cars. Haven't had to use one in decades.
Old November 11th, 2016, 12:16 PM

I do carry a set of points in all my cars so equipped, probably more of a old habit than anything else but being stuck in the boonies one time at night will give you those habits. They don't take up much space anyway... Tedd.
Old November 12th, 2016, 05:24 AM

Maybe it goes with age but concerning the concerning carrying extra points just makes sense. Remember the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared." Larry
Old November 12th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Maybe it goes with age but concerning the concerning carrying extra points just makes sense. Remember the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared." Larry
In my day job, I deal with risk assessment of aerospace systems. The things we pay most attention to are the most likely, highest consequence risks. Those are the places you want to worry about. Unfortunately, people worry about high consequence risks that have low probability (like ebola), not ones with a high probability (obesity-related health issues). Same thing for your car. The likelyhood of a brake failure due to a rusted line is much higher than the likelyhood that you'll need to change points. Do you carry extra brake lines and fluid? What about belts and hoses? Coolant? Heck, the most likely failure in my experience is battery related. Do you carry a spare battery?

Even more to the point, routine maintenance and checking is far more effective than carrying spare parts. Do you do this every time you start the car?
Old November 12th, 2016, 08:11 AM

Ya, but when a module goes bad like the one in my Land Cruiser did with no points in the glove box and you walk home in the dark while it's raining you have a tendency to disregard risk assessment logic and fall back on the thoughts of a 2 inch square box with a set of points could have gotten you home. And yes I do keep a fan belt extra oil and a jug of 3 dot in the tool kit, old habit from driving junk most of my young life. The Cruiser now has points only now..... Your millage may differ..... Tedd
Old November 12th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Ya, but when a module goes bad like the one in my Land Cruiser did with no points in the glove box and you walk home in the dark while it's raining you have a tendency to disregard risk assessment logic and fall back on the thoughts of a 2 inch square box with a set of points could have gotten you home.
Alternately, not converting to electronic in the first place would also have solved that problem...
Old November 12th, 2016, 09:55 AM

Yep, it would....... Tedd
Old November 13th, 2016, 01:52 PM

I run the Pertronix Ignitor III in my stock distributor. Also have their coil. Points free and a rev limiter built in just in case
Old November 13th, 2016, 05:15 PM

PM is a big key to reliability. If I see a questionable part and replace it, if there is room in the vehicle, the old part goes in it somewhere. If something causes me to have a tow, a spare goes in the vehicle.(if reasonable) Keep a vehicle a while and you learn the weak spots.
My 84 Ranger stranded me once with a dist. fault.(pickup) Bought a rebuilt and kept the core and rebuilt it. Replaced it 3 times along the roadside and exchanged failed one under warranty. I finally rebuilt it with a better quality replacement part. Always carried ign. modules in Fords.
As far as brake lines, I will never have a driver with a single master cyl.
I have generally found points give some warning, but not condensers. Point files were always in the vehicle toolbox.
Always carried coolant or water. Some of the junk I carried oil.
Now I carry a AAA and a credit card in new stuff.
Funny, many cars don't have spare tires now.