Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

My first drive in the 53

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2016, 05:55 PM

My first drive in the 53

Got my new plates, finished the exhaust and took her out...it was a first for me driving an early 50's car, and a first for the Olds driving on English roads.
She pulls to the left so the alignment is off...but more worryingly is that my oil pressure is low, on start up it's above half way, when it warms up and driving it's sitting around the quarter mark, then drops to just above zero at idle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160610_155908.jpg (1.32 MB, 17 views)
IMG_20160706_120936.jpg (1.53 MB, 14 views)
Old July 8th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Let me be the first to congratulate you. Congratulations Nigel. It has been a long time coming.
Old July 8th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Nice!

I'm afraid I can't say much about oil pressure in that series engine, but that would be a bit low in the newer series (I'd expect 30-40psi while driving).

One forgets how neat and tidy the roads look over there. Almost like California...

- Eric
Old July 8th, 2016, 06:45 PM

Have you tried a new temporary oil pressure gauge just to confirm the true pressure? Anything around the 0 mark is a concern. Do you get any lifter clatter on startup on a warm engine?..... Tedd

PS. congrats on getting it back on the road.
Old July 8th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Congrats on the milestone. I agree with Tedd, install a temporary/permanent mechanical oil pressure gauge to see what its really doing.
Old July 8th, 2016, 07:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If your gauge is correct, I am afraid you do have an oil pressure problem. My 54 which God only knows when it was rebuilt, runs 40 psi out on the highway even after it warms up. At idle it is probably about 20 psi. My gauge may be off the other way but I am okay with it. Now if I can just get the dadgum thing to run cooler. I would try what Tedd and Eric suggested. Just get a cheap gauge and try it. Good luck.
Old July 8th, 2016, 07:58 PM
same but different

Congrats Nigel, I know you've done a lot of work so far. I hope your oil psi is a easy fix.

Are you hearing any noise in the valvetrain?
Old July 9th, 2016, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Let me be the first to congratulate you. Congratulations Nigel. It has been a long time coming.
Thank you Red.

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Nice!

I'm afraid I can't say much about oil pressure in that series engine, but that would be a bit low in the newer series (I'd expect 30-40psi while driving).

One forgets how neat and tidy the roads look over there. Almost like California...

- Eric
Thank you Eric...thats the range I was expecting.

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Have you tried a new temporary oil pressure gauge just to confirm the true pressure? Anything around the 0 mark is a concern. Do you get any lifter clatter on startup on a warm engine?..... Tedd

PS. congrats on getting it back on the road.
Thank you Tedd, didn't know about temporary oil pressure gauges, i'll check them out, and no noise on start up

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Congrats on the milestone. I agree with Tedd, install a temporary/permanent mechanical oil pressure gauge to see what its really doing.
Thank you OC

If your gauge is correct, I am afraid you do have an oil pressure problem. My 54 which God only knows when it was rebuilt, runs 40 psi out on the highway even after it warms up. At idle it is probably about 20 psi. My gauge may be off the other way but I am okay with it. Now if I can just get the dadgum thing to run cooler. I would try what Tedd and Eric suggested. Just get a cheap gauge and try it. Good luck.
What causes bad oil pressure, is it the pump, or is there something more serious at play here?

Originally Posted by don71
Congrats Nigel, I know you've done a lot of work so far. I hope your oil psi is a easy fix.

Are you hearing any noise in the valvetrain?
Thanks Don, me too, definitely no noise from the valvetrain or engine in general...I wondered if the oil I was using was to thin, but 15w-40 is a high viscosity. but maybe thats an issue when it gets hot.

Last edited by Eightbanger; July 9th, 2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old July 9th, 2016, 04:17 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Eightbanger
What causes bad oil pressure, is it the pump, or is there something more serious at play here?
Wear somewhere or everywhere: Oil pump, main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings.

And 10W40, 15W40, or 20W50 should be fine in the warm weather.

Do pick up a mechanical gauge, though, and confirm readings with that.

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2016, 05:29 AM

Wear somewhere or everywhere: Oil pump, main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings.

And 10W40, 15W40, or 20W50 should be fine in the warm weather.

Do pick up a mechanical gauge, though, and confirm readings with that.

- Eric
God I hope none of the above Eric, accept for the oil pump, thats an easy fix...I've been scouring the shop manual and cant find anything on the oil pressure gauge or where the oil pressure line connects to the engine.
Old July 9th, 2016, 07:40 AM

Nigel, the inside of your oil pressure sender unit is probably "full of crud" just like the whole inside of your engine was before you did such a neat job of getting it all cleaned out.If that is the case ,maybe you can remove it and spray carb cleaner or penetrating oil and blow it out and be very lucky that it will solve your oil pressure problem! I"ll keep my fingers crossed and I am very confident that that is where your trouble is. Best of luck ,your friend Larry
Old July 9th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Your oil pressure line connect on the right side of your engine behind the cylinder head. Unfortunately it is not easy to get to and impossible to even see. I have a pressure switch I was going to add to my 54 for a cutoff on the electric fuel pump. I have looked at it several times and wound up putting it back on the shelf both times because I feared breaking a line or cross threading something. Then I would probably have to pull the engine to fix it. Maybe you have better access on your car. The line that goes to the gauge is very small and you can trace it across the firewall. There is no actual sending unit since this is a mechanical gauge.
Old July 9th, 2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Nigel, the inside of your oil pressure sender unit is probably "full of crud" just like the whole inside of your engine was before you did such a neat job of getting it all cleaned out.If that is the case ,maybe you can remove it and spray carb cleaner or penetrating oil and blow it out and be very lucky that it will solve your oil pressure problem! I"ll keep my fingers crossed and I am very confident that that is where your trouble is. Best of luck ,your friend Larry
Hey Larry, I'm going to do exactly that, and fingers crossed it turns out to be as simple as that. I took the valve covers off and it seemed pretty dry in there.
Hope all's well with you my friend.

Your oil pressure line connect on the right side of your engine behind the cylinder head. Unfortunately it is not easy to get to and impossible to even see. I have a pressure switch I was going to add to my 54 for a cutoff on the electric fuel pump. I have looked at it several times and wound up putting it back on the shelf both times because I feared breaking a line or cross threading something. Then I would probably have to pull the engine to fix it. Maybe you have better access on your car. The line that goes to the gauge is very small and you can trace it across the firewall. There is no actual sending unit since this is a mechanical gauge.
Yep, found the little blighter, easy enough access on my block from underneath, but removing it from the back of the gauge cluster to fit a temporary gauge or blow it through isn't going to be fun.

Well I took her out for quite a long run, the traffic was a bit heavy, which showed she's also running hot, and there is some sort of drain on the battery or perhaps not charging, as the amp gauge was dropping, nearly wouldn't start after putting Petrol.....and the oil gauge nearly on zero, so it would seem I have a lot more work to do before she's right.

Attached Images
IMG_20160709_140754.jpg (2.48 MB, 9 views)
IMG_20160709_140815.jpg (2.20 MB, 107 views)
IMG_20160709_161410.jpg (1.64 MB, 106 views)
Old July 9th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Nigel:

If you buy an after market gauge, it will come with its own like which is usually Teflon. I doubt the fitting on the back of the cash gauge would fit an aftermarket gauge anyway. So all you should be concerned with is where it connects to the block. It takes a lot to get these old cars up to where you can take them out for a pleasure cruise. You have had your shakedown cruise and that is a big thing. I am three years into mine and am still working on the cooling system.
Old July 9th, 2016, 10:22 AM

Nigel:

If you buy an after market gauge, it will come with its own like which is usually Teflon. I doubt the fitting on the back of the cash gauge would fit an aftermarket gauge anyway. So all you should be concerned with is where it connects to the block. It takes a lot to get these old cars up to where you can take them out for a pleasure cruise. You have had your shakedown cruise and that is a big thing. I am three years into mine and am still working on the cooling system.

Now I understand, thanks Red.
So what's going on with yours, do you think some of the water channels are blocked? I found quite a few on mine that had closed altogether and others restricted with like a calcium build up.
Old July 9th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am puzzled. It didn't run hot until I started putting the AC in. I know it is moving enough air across the radiator. The heads were rebuilt about 2500 miles ago. I have spent a lot trying to cool this car down.
Old July 9th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Are you getting oil to the rockers with the engine running and the valve covers off when its warmed up?
Old July 10th, 2016, 12:24 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Now I understand, thanks Red.
So what's going on with yours, do you think some of the water channels are blocked? I found quite a few on mine that had closed altogether and others restricted with like a calcium build up.
At least the '55 324 runs very cool. In fact, I can't get it hot. No AC, no power steering, no power brakes. Stop and go traffic, the temp never budges above 1/2.

Oil pressure, at idle after warm, I'm getting about 15-20 psi. About 30 anything above idle. Running 10W-40 in sunny warm CA, with 1 quart of Rislone. Heads have not been done and are original, soft valve seats which means only a matter of time for a rebuild. 137K miles.

One concession to modern equipment, I've installed a radiator recovery tank. That helped a lot. With out it, I'd lose a bit of fluid every time I drove it, necessitating a refill every other gas tank full. With the recovery tank, I don't have to top it off, it stays full, and it does run cooler since it's not circulating air in with the fluid. That made a big difference for me.

I have had a sticky thermostat. That will also cause some of your symptoms. That's easy and worth a shot. You can also see how bad any buildup is while you have it out, if you go that way.

That valve train does look pretty dry...
Old July 10th, 2016, 07:04 AM

I am puzzled. It didn't run hot until I started putting the AC in. I know it is moving enough air across the radiator. The heads were rebuilt about 2500 miles ago. I have spent a lot trying to cool this car down.
I hate problems like that, something akin to an itch you cant scratch...dam irritating.

Are you getting oil to the rockers with the engine running and the valve covers off when its warmed up?
I'll do that, although they looked disappointingly dry when I removed them yesterday after the long run. (see pics)

Originally Posted by DFitz
At least the '55 324 runs very cool. In fact, I can't get it hot. No AC, no power steering, no power brakes. Stop and go traffic, the temp never budges above 1/2.

Oil pressure, at idle after warm, I'm getting about 15-20 psi. About 30 anything above idle. Running 10W-40 in sunny warm CA, with 1 quart of Rislone. Heads have not been done and are original, soft valve seats which means only a matter of time for a rebuild. 137K miles.

One concession to modern equipment, I've installed a radiator recovery tank. That helped a lot. With out it, I'd lose a bit of fluid every time I drove it, necessitating a refill every other gas tank full. With the recovery tank, I don't have to top it off, it stays full, and it does run cooler since it's not circulating air in with the fluid. That made a big difference for me.

I have had a sticky thermostat. That will also cause some of your symptoms. That's easy and worth a shot. You can also see how bad any buildup is while you have it out, if you go that way.

That valve train does look pretty dry...
Determinately going to replace the stat, now you mention it, I had replaced or rebuilt everything else and had forgotten about that, and an expansion tank if all else fails is a good idea.
Yeah, unhappy about the lack of oil on the VT.

But now the battery is flat, it's brand new, but it isn't charging whilst its running, in fact, the Amp meter reads just below the halfway mark all the time, it never seems to read above halfway, which I thought it would do when driving to show that it's charging, as soon as I use the radio,fan or turn the lights on the Amp meter drops much lower, and it barely turns over should you stop for any reason.
Going to look on Google to see how to check for a faulty Alternator.
Old July 10th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

This ammeter definitely shows a discharge, instead of charging.

It should never show that with the engine running, except at idle with accessories and headlights on.

Note that you DO NOT have an alternator, you have a generator.
You need to do the basic troubleshooting to determine whether the problem is with the generator or the regulator, and work from there.

Here is a diagram of your charging circuit:

The problem could be as simple as a bad ground to the generator or the regulator, or bad brushes in the generator.

The simplest test is to connect the BAT terminal to the FIELD terminal of the regulator for a moment, with the engine running and a voltmeter across the battery terminals (you could also watch the ammeter in the car, ASSuming it works).
Connecting the (+) battery terminal to the F terminal of the generator and measuring the voltage between the A(rmature) terminal of the generator and ground will accomplish the same thing.

When you "Hot Field" the generator, it should go to its maximum output, the voltmeter should read about 15V, and the ammeter should get very close to the +30.
If it does, you know that your generator is good, and the problem is in the regulator.
Conversely...

I have uploaded for you a copy of the Electrical chapter of the 1955 Pontiac Shop Manual, which should be essentially identical to the chapter for your car ('53 guys, please let Nigel know if there are any significant differences).
It will take you through everything you need to know and do.

Also, I'm not a 324 guy, but that valve train looks like it's gotten NO oil after that long drive.
Beware.

Good luck!

- Eric
Attached Files
Old July 10th, 2016, 08:17 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Nigel:

Did you have the rocker arms assemblies off and if so did you disassemble them?
Old July 10th, 2016, 09:27 AM

This ammeter definitely shows a discharge, instead of charging.

It should never show that with the engine running, except at idle with accessories and headlights on.

Note that you DO NOT have an alternator, you have a generator.
You need to do the basic troubleshooting to determine whether the problem is with the generator or the regulator, and work from there.

Here is a diagram of your charging circuit:

The problem could be as simple as a bad ground to the generator or the regulator, or bad brushes in the generator.

The simplest test is to connect the BAT terminal to the FIELD terminal of the regulator for a moment, with the engine running and a voltmeter across the battery terminals (you could also watch the ammeter in the car, ASSuming it works).
Connecting the (+) battery terminal to the F terminal of the generator and measuring the voltage between the A(rmature) terminal of the generator and ground will accomplish the same thing.

When you "Hot Field" the generator, it should go to its maximum output, the voltmeter should read about 15V, and the ammeter should get very close to the +30.
If it does, you know that your generator is good, and the problem is in the regulator.
Conversely...

I have uploaded for you a copy of the Electrical chapter of the 1955 Pontiac Shop Manual, which should be essentially identical to the chapter for your car ('53 guys, please let Nigel know if there are any significant differences).
It will take you through everything you need to know and do.

Also, I'm not a 324 guy, but that valve train looks like it's gotten NO oil after that long drive.
Beware.

Good luck!

- Eric
Wow! thanks for this Eric, I will admit that Electrics are like the black arts for me, but I will try to get my head round this.
I will start a new thread in Electrical to discuss this further, but for now can you tell me what my multimeter is reading off the Generator? it shows 0.12 with the engine running.

Nigel:

Did you have the rocker arms assemblies off and if so did you disassemble them?
I did Red, disassembled, cleaned, new valve stem seals fitted, and coated everything in oil as I reassembled.
Before I put the covers back on yesterday I drenched the lot in fresh oil again.
Attached Images
IMG_20160710_154716.jpg (1.79 MB, 95 views)

Last edited by Eightbanger; July 10th, 2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old July 10th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... Electrics are like the black arts for me...
In a country where Lucas electrics are considered normal, what else could we expect?

... can you tell me what my multimeter is reading off the Generator? it shows 0.12 with the engine running.

If my terminal identification is correct, your meter is showing 0.12VDC between the generator Field terminal and ground.
If that is the case, the culprit is likely the regulator.
Next step it to connect (+)12V to that terminal (Field) and see whether the car charges.

I did Red...
Once again, I don't know the 324, but I believe he's asking because it is possible to reassemble it wrong and block the oil passages.

- Eric
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Be sure you reassembled with the holes on the shafts turned down. The shop manual does not say anything about this. I assembled mine with the holes up and kept having trouble. Tony at Ross Racing told me they went down. I bought a pre-assembled set of rocker arms from him at that point and have had no more problems. As you probably know, the oil comes up through the head and through one of the rocker shaft stands. Be sure you have these in the right places or you will not get any oil. This is not going to affect you low oil pressure though.
Old July 10th, 2016, 12:04 PM

In a country where Lucas electrics are considered normal, what else could we expect?
- Eric

Be sure you reassembled with the holes on the shafts turned down. The shop manual does not say anything about this. I assembled mine with the holes up and kept having trouble. Tony at Ross Racing told me they went down. I bought a pre-assembled set of rocker arms from him at that point and have had no more problems. As you probably know, the oil comes up through the head and through one of the rocker shaft stands. Be sure you have these in the right places or you will not get any oil. This is not going to affect you low oil pressure though.
Yes, it was your mentioning this in a previous thread that made me take particular note to avoid making that mistake.
Old July 10th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am glad. It was a very expensive lesson for me and I am glad somebody else could benefit from it.
Old July 10th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Your volt meter is not reading anything basically. Did run the engine with the valve covers off and make sure you are getting oil flow up through the valve train?
Old July 10th, 2016, 04:48 PM

Your volt meter is not reading anything basically. Did run the engine with the valve covers off and make sure you are getting oil flow up through the valve train?
Not done that yet Eric, got side tracked with electrical issues....I topped it off with oil and it seemed to help a little, but I had to jump start her to find that out.
Old July 10th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Administrator

If you run the engine with no oil flow on the rockers for an extended period your will wear out those shaft mounted parts quickly.
Old July 11th, 2016, 08:49 AM

Topping off your oil unless (it was very low) shouldn't make a difference in oil pressure. As far as the upper valve system not getting oil if this is a new problem there is a chance that the wrong head gasket could have been used. Later year gaskets will bolt up to the head but the oil passages from block to head are different. I know hotroders always matched gaskets to head when mix matching later heads to early blocks. Probably not your problem but something to add to the list of things to check out. The reason I threw this into the mix is If your oil pressure is hovering around the 0 mark I would think the lifters would start to clatter on a extended drive.No oil getting past the gasket but enough to keep the lifters pressurized.

If it were mine I would pull the pan and plastic gauge the mains and rods and check the tolerances. You will have to pull the pan anyway if the oil pump is bad.... Just my thoughts. Best of luck.... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; July 11th, 2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old July 11th, 2016, 03:03 PM

If you run the engine with no oil flow on the rockers for an extended period your will wear out those shaft mounted parts quickly.
Understood mate...and thanks.

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Topping off your oil unless (it was very low) shouldn't make a difference in oil pressure. As far as the upper valve system not getting oil if this is a new problem there is a chance that the wrong head gasket could have been used. Later year gaskets will bolt up to the head but the oil passages from block to head are different. I know hotroders always matched gaskets to head when mix matching later heads to early blocks. Probably not your problem but something to add to the list of things to check out. The reason I threw this into the mix is If your oil pressure is hovering around the 0 mark I would think the lifters would start to clatter on a extended drive.No oil getting past the gasket but enough to keep the lifters pressurized.

If it were mine I would pull the pan and plastic gauge the mains and rods and check the tolerances. You will have to pull the pan anyway if the oil pump is bad.... Just my thoughts. Best of luck.... Tedd
Definitely the correct head gaskets Tedd, bought the complete FelPro set for engine overhaul.
I will order a new Oil Pump and have a close look as you suggest when I drop the pan...thank you mate.
Old July 26th, 2016, 08:00 AM

I just added this diagram for you in case you didn't have it and needed refer to it ...
Old July 26th, 2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by GaWajn
I just added this diagram for you in case you didn't have it and needed refer to it ...
Thanks mate.