Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1956 Olds 88 Speedometer Removal

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2016, 06:53 PM

1956 Olds 88 Speedometer Removal

I have a 1956 Oldsmobile Super 88 and the speedometer needs to be rebuilt. I can see that there are several studs with nuts that need to be removed, as well as wiring and speedometer cable that need to be removed. However, I'm wondering if I'll be able to actually fit that whole thing out through the back of the dash. There is a defroster vent and 2 supports that attach to the steering column in the way directly behind the speedometer cluster, and then the glove box is blocking the way to the side.

Can anyone tell me the best way to maneuver the speedometer out of the back of the dash? Thanks!
Old May 31st, 2016, 08:12 PM

I figured out the answer to my own question and figured I'd post it here in case someone else has the same question in the future.

I tried to take the speedometer out through the front, and the post that the cable attaches to is about 1/4 of an inch too long for the housing to fit through. I had to remove the defroster duct, which gave enough clearance for the speedometer to come through the back of the dash. I removed the glove box, but I'm not sure if it was necessary or not. It did make accessibility and visibility a bit better though.
Old May 31st, 2016, 08:33 PM

Best tool for that is a factory shop manual. Seriously, not trying to be funny or a smart ***. Removal of the instrument panel/speedometer is probably covered in the factory shop manual. First thing anyone intent on working on their old car should have. Order the manual and wait. Patience is a virtue and might save you a lot of grief.

If you can't wait to source a shop manual take a couple of photos of the underside of the dash so you will know if you put it back together correctly and then start by unhooking the battery and removing the obvious things you mentioned in your post. I'd suggest labeling the wiring and where it goes before pulling it.

Likely the instrument panel was one of the first things put in when it was installed so everything that's in the way was put in later. Seems to always work that way. Once you have stuff out of the way the best path of removal may make itself known. No big deal if you have to pull the glove box. After its all done and put back in you will be the expert and can help the next person who asks about under dash stuff.

Disclaimer, I owned a 56 Olds hardtop in my college years but remember next to nothing about the specifics. My suggestions are based on the experience of shade tree mechanics on lots of different cars. Some things are universal like the underside of the dash being the absolute most frustrating place to have to do work on your car. Its always crowded, dark and everything seems hard to reach, Seems like there's no place under there a wrench can pivot more than about 15 degrees to loosen or tighten fasteners.
Jerry
Old May 31st, 2016, 08:56 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jerry makes a good point about the factory shop manual. Many of us will tell folks it is the first thing they should buy after they buy their car. They are always available on ebay. Don't get a reprint or one on CD. Get one with the greasy fingerprint on it. Be sure and shop the price because prices are all over the board. Your should be able to get one for $25 to $30.
Old May 31st, 2016, 09:31 PM

Out of the list of cars that I have in my signature, the Olds is the only one that I don't currently own the workshop/Haynes/etc. manual for. The one for the DeLoreans has come in handy many times.

The Olds hasn't needed much work, so I haven't had a need for the manual. My next job is replacing a noisy and vibrating front wheel bearing, which I don't think will be too difficult either (just expensive to get the old roller ball bearings).