Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Annoying Squeak in passenger rear suspension

Old February 5th, 2016, 06:08 AM

Smile Annoying Squeak in passenger rear suspension

My '55 has developed a really annoying squeak in the passenger rear corner mostly at very low speeds (under 5 mph). Sounds like maybe the leaf spring bushings or at least some kind of rubber bushing.I've tried to spray them with lubrications (P B blaster, WD 40 ect.) but nothing has changed. You can also hear it if your at higher speeds when you let off the throttle quickly and then press throttle to return to same speed, but it is definitely in the rear.
I can't make it squeak by bouncing it up and down or sideways while sitting still.Any suggestions ,or ideas appreciated. Thanks Larry
Old February 5th, 2016, 07:26 AM
72 Olds CS

U joint?
Old February 5th, 2016, 08:02 AM

The most annoying and loud squeak I have ever had turned out to be metal rubbing metal. In my case the leaf spring had broken in the "Eye", the hole where the bushing goes, and the spring had slipped over so it could rub the frame or bracket. The spring still did the job of holding the car up as the top of the thing had broken, strange. Whatever. It drove me crazy, I finally got a friend to get under there enough to find it as I rocked/bounced the car gently. The smallest movement made a squeak. Replaced the spring, problem solved.
I couldn't begin to guess what is causing your squeak but it could be metal against metal somewhere.
Old February 5th, 2016, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the comments.It's not a U-Joint type squeak,it's more of a "body movement" thing,but I have not been able to make it happen unless you are moving slowly. I plan to put it on a rack where I can take a better look at all bushing and grommets. Thanks again, Larry
Old February 5th, 2016, 12:54 PM

Update to above post.I jacked the car up so that the springs could drop down and then separated the spring so I could get some lubricant to the anti-squeak pads.Let them soak for 30 minutes with car still on the jack,then let it down and drove it,and it is probably 75 % quieter than before.
It helped it enough that I will do it again using a little heavier oil. Thanks ,Larry
Old February 5th, 2016, 03:08 PM

Mine turned out to be trunk lid related cause I had rubber bumpers missing from the under side of the lid and the trunk hinges were squeeking.
Took me a while to find it.
Just puttin it out there.
Old February 5th, 2016, 05:36 PM

Rootney,if you don't mind me asking,is that color original to your car,if so what is it called.
If it's an aftermarket color ,I still love it on the car. Didn't find any albums on your site,you need to get out the camera,the car is gorgeous! Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; February 6th, 2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Rootney,if you don't mind me asking,is that color original to your car,if so what I it called.
If it's an aftermarket color ,I still love it on the car. Didn't find any albums on your site,you need to get out the camera,the car is gorgeous! Larry
Larry,

Your comment means a lot to me. I didn't stay true to the factory colors and although I really love it, I've always felt like most Olds guys might think I trashed a nice car.
The color is close to Chevy "Hugger Orange".
I might put an album together from my hundreds of pics, thanks to your compliment.

Best Regards,

George
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:45 PM

Thanks George,my car is a 50k mile '55 with all documentation,still has original interior,and non-Rechromed grill and bumpers,but I painted flames on the Batwing breather and added some chrome trim under the hood. Oh yeah,I have been asked why I did that,and I just tell them that is how I wanted it. I can always paint the breather black and remove the chrome trim,if someone wants it bad enough and wants it all original. Larry
Old February 9th, 2016, 04:43 PM

I sometimes get a noise at low speed as well. Usually as I back out of the garage after the car has been sitting. Its more of a low groan sound then a squeak. One of these days I'll have to look into it. For now I just tell my wife it only happens when she is in the car….

Mark
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:49 AM

Hey Mark,isn't it strange how these odd things that happen to these classic cars, always happen to get worse or louder when the wife is going for her very occasional ride with you. I just turn the radio up a little and tell her that the volume control no longer works and it will cost $100 to fix it.
Problem Solved! Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; February 10th, 2016 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Correct
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Mark - my 54 does the exact same thing. It is not bad enough to make me start taking the rear springs apart.

Larry - as you know, my 54 has air conditioning with a Sanden compressor, an electric fan an alternator and halogen headlights. If anybody ask me why I tell them because it is mine and that is how I wanted it. If I didn't have the AC, my wife would not be able to ride in the car in the Texas summer heat and it is very important to me that she is with me.
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:46 PM

Redoldsman, I actually just jacked the rear of the car,so that the springs would not have as much pressure between the individual leaves of the spring.I then tapped a small screwdriver between each leaf ,one at a time and sprayed them with a lubricant. Did not take the springs apart,just pried each one apart ,sprayed it,until all were lubricated.The whole Left spring took about 15 minutes, and it helped mine greatly. Larry
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:41 PM

Squeaky rear spring fix

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Redoldsman, I actually just jacked the rear of the car,so that the springs would not have as much pressure between the individual leaves of the spring.I then tapped a small screwdriver between each leaf ,one at a time and sprayed them with a lubricant. Did not take the springs apart,just pried each one apart ,sprayed it,until all were lubricated.The whole Left spring took about 15 minutes, and it helped mine greatly. Larry
__________________________________________________ _

Good diagnosis and good fix. For a longer lasting fix put Nylon shims between the leaves of the spring. You can use disc (disk?) or strips of Nylon. This used to be a common fix in 60s and 70s. Maybe it has been lost in the change of generations. Process is the same, take weight off springs and push Nylon pieces into place. Works best if you take springs apart and clean grit out of them before doing it.
Jerry
Old February 10th, 2016, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the tip Jerry.I will pick up some shims and give that a try. Larry
Old February 10th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Administrator

In my past experience, anything slipped in there will squish back out in a short period of time. I'm not familiar with a 56, but ar there rub pad isolators in between the leafs?
Old February 11th, 2016, 05:44 AM

Yes Eric they are still in place, in fact that's where I tried to get the lubrication placed. Thanks,Larry
Old September 5th, 2016, 05:10 PM

Hello;
I just pulled the shocks and leafs out today. Had to cut the front leaf bolts out as they weren't budging. I see there is teflon leaf liner out there. Has anyone tried it? My old liners are shot and all need replaced.
Does anyone have a good recommendation for rear shocks? The shocks on mine have a date code of 3-7-68...I think its time.

Mark
Old September 5th, 2016, 06:19 PM

I just bought replacement shocks from Fusick about 11 years ago and they are doing fine. Car rides better than anything else I own.... Tedd
Old September 6th, 2016, 03:34 AM

Thanks Tedd
I am looking at buying new bushings etc from Fusick. I thought I might be able to find the shocks locally.

Mark
Old September 6th, 2016, 12:08 PM

You might find shocks listed on a website like Rockauto, to get a cross reference on part numbers, then go to your FLAPS or buy online. But they may even have them listed in the system at your local parts store.
Old September 6th, 2016, 12:14 PM

Thanks Russ;
The ones listed at Rock Auto do not look correct. Around here when I go into my FLAPS the look at me like I'm nuts trying to buy something for a 57 Olds.

Mark
Old September 6th, 2016, 02:56 PM

I have a squeak or annoying noise from the rear, it looks like the metal brackets that hold the leafs together are coming lose. Actually the springs look pretty worn and the pads are deteriorating I am probably just going to replace the leaf springs to be safe.
Old September 8th, 2016, 05:06 PM

I took my springs to a local shop to get them re-arced and also add one leaf to stiffen up the ride a bit. He is going to put in new liners and put on new clamps since mine were all but three missing.
Ill let you know how it all works out.

Mark
Old September 9th, 2016, 05:53 AM
Administrator

I've had good luck in the past with leaf spring repairs and re-arching vs buying a new set.
Old September 12th, 2016, 02:50 PM

Made a nice difference in the rear. Lifted the car 1-1.5" and gave a better feel going down the road. Also replaced the rear shocks, bushings and shackles all bought from Fusic. Had to replace the U bolts which weren't long enough any more.
Well worth the effort.

Mark
Old September 12th, 2016, 03:08 PM

My springs look pretty bad, and at 60 years old knowing they can and have broke before I would feel better replacing them. Maybe if you're were in better shape it would be a different story.