B&M 30262 shift improver kit

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2015, 05:55 PM

B&M 30262 shift improver kit

I just want to verify that this is the correct kit for my '71 CS TH350. All the websites claim it won't fit my car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311295050738...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old April 26th, 2015, 06:13 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

TransGo kit is the best kit for a TH350. Do you want hard 1-2, 2-3 upshifts... like as in rubber with each up shift? The TransGo kit has a patented seperator plate which is the base for the kit. Killer shifts! This is accomplished with a "transfer plate" that is sandwiched between the support plate in front of the valve body. Some other things that need mods are a few springs and tweaks to the the direct apply piston etc... when I do a complete build I do not use any packaged kit. I also internally dual feed, use a heavier PR spring, and drill the feed holes. I do NOT leave out any springs...I also use heavier direct clutch return springs...Short story long contact TransGo tech for the full story. I have more info if your interested and are well versed with HP TH transmissions.
Also, be real sure the trans (and the rest of the drive line) is fresh enough to handle said mods or you'll smoke the clutches & steels. Consider a slightly higher stall converter to gain the full effects of a good shift kit.

Last edited by droldsmorland; April 26th, 2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old April 26th, 2015, 09:27 PM

I second the TransGo kit. Put one in my '70 Supreme back in 1982 and another one in the convertible in 1990 and have been exceptionally pleased with them.

I recently saw the TransGo kit on Summit for about $45 with free shipping.

As for your question, all the sites I looked at show that as the correct kit for the TH 350.
Which sites said it was not the right one?

Last edited by Fun71; April 26th, 2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old April 26th, 2015, 10:53 PM

I am using the B&M kit, works great. Mine is a TH350
Old April 27th, 2015, 05:28 AM

Assuming someone hasnt swapped in a TH350C (lock-up converter) or a TH250 (band adjusting screw on the outside of the case) thats the correct kit.

The Trans-Go kit is a good one, so is the B&M. I like the bang-screech shifts that the B&M kit provides, however it may get annoying if this is your daily driver. All of my cars have had aftermarket higher stall speed converters which tend to tame the shifts a bit.

As for the patented dual feed transfer plate, all the TH350 shift kits offer that. There are 2 chambers in the direct drum, one is used for high gear, the other for reverse. The trasfer plate allows both chambers to be used for high gear, basically doubling the torque capacity of that clutch pack.

Trans-Go does make a unique plate for the TH400, that one might be the patented one. I would love to know why Hydromatic designed the direct clutch with the seprate circuits, seems to me an unneeded expense and complication. I have done the dual feed modification on both high performance and stock overhuals, on the stock builds i cant really tell a diffance in shift feel. The 350,400, and 2004r trans all have the same dual circuit direct drum, all can be fairly easily dual-feed to increase clutch capacity.
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:53 AM

Thanks for all the info and opinions. The jury is still out on the mild or wild shift issue. It's not a daily driver but the wife does like to drive and we'll take it on vacations. So I'm leaning towards mild. Not taking it to the track, just want to take the slop out of the shifts.
As for the condition of the trans; it appears to run fine but I'm sure it's got some age. Probably looking at a rebuild soon (Copper, are you reading this, lol), but want to play with the kit for a bit first. Then I'll have a better idea of the feel that I want when i do rebuild.
@matt, I did check and I do have the original TH350. So far, I haven't found a single part on this car that was changed or modified (until me, that is). Unless you count the soup can radiator hose repair and the triple electric fuel pump setup, lol.
I've read a lot of posts, CO and others, that talk about chirping the tires in every gear after a shift kit. I didn't know it would have that much affect. I don't suppose that will be the case with my 2.56:1 rear, even if I went with the street/strip option.
Old April 27th, 2015, 02:51 PM

As I said above, I have been using the TransGo kit since 1982 and I really like how the trans shifts. Under light throttle the shifts are quick but not head snappingly harsh, so I would not be concerned with using it for a daily driver that the wife may operate. I have become so accustomed to quick, firm shifts under light/moderate throttle that a car WITHOUT a shift kit feels like the trans is slipping.

Tire chirping on shifts will be along the same lines as burning out from a stop, with tire width (traction), engine power, etc. playing into it.
Old April 27th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Hookers under Hood

Mac, I had the transgo shift kit installed in my 76 prior to putting in my posi and 3:42 gears. It did make the shifts much better, got rubber out of second but not off the line at the time. If I remember they adjusted the vacuum modulator to make my shift harder. Initially it was very mild.
Eric H
Old April 27th, 2015, 05:29 PM

This?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TransGo-TH-3...55c802&vxp=mtr

Since these are "shift" kits, I assumed it wouldn't have much, if any, effect on launch. And as for "head-snappingly" harsh, I really do need to avoid that. Maybe it's just the way you phrased it, Kenneth, but since I broke my neck, it is very sensitive. I know you said it's not, I just need to be careful. Punching it would be one thing, but shift after shift could have an additive effect on my cervical spine. I will say that my truck has a shift kit. A towing kit I believe and that's not a big deal at all.
Old April 27th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Mac The b&m can be suited for the use. It has 2 or 3 diffrent ways you can install it depending on which kit . The all out competition mode is the harshest one. I used the b&m kit on the th350 thats in my 72 right now and i used the all out comp. mode and even with a 3000 stall you feel second gear hit pretty good. With a tight converter it would bang even harder. I dont mind it but its not really need. Mac when you are ready let me know i will rebuild your trans for free just pay for the parts . I live close enough to transtar industries so i order my parts direct from their warehouse. I think I have under 300 in parts on the back up i built but its built to handle plenty of abuse atleast for my application . I got a few cores here mac so when you are ready let me know.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 27th, 2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:37 PM

The TransGo is similar, with two different performance levels. The part number is 350-1&2 to designate the two different configurations:
1 = a "Tow & Go" configuration that shifts firmer than factory (used to be tow and RV)
2 = a "competition" configuration that shifts firmer than the 1 setup

I have always used the 2 setup in my cars.
Old April 28th, 2015, 04:01 AM

I used the transgo kit on the back up trans I built I liked it better than the b&m kit as far as what you get . I have not yet used it since its a back up.
Old April 29th, 2015, 03:59 AM

I used the B&M kit and the 1-2 shift isn't as firm as I like. If I had to do it again I would use the trans go kit!
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:31 AM

Which b&m kit did you use ? Mine hits surprisingly hard for having a 3000 stall. It won't chirp the tires as the slip in the converter will soften the shift but it bangs pretty good.
Old April 29th, 2015, 05:00 PM

Does the TransGo have pretty good instructions? I've read that the B&M instructions are lacking.
Old April 29th, 2015, 05:14 PM

Both of them are very simple instructions to be honest . The transgo kit has more parts and I found a bit harder to follow. I had to back track to make sure everything was right .
Old April 29th, 2015, 05:19 PM

I'll see if I can youtube it.
Old April 29th, 2015, 05:30 PM

I can't remember which kit they installed.
The trans go kit does have more bits and pieces and looked more like a more in depth install.

I'm ok with the 1-2 shift not being so harsh, the engine makes alot of torque so I don't want to break driveline parts and the car easily breaks the tires loose without manually shifting the transmission.

Last edited by Stevec; April 29th, 2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old April 29th, 2015, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Does the TransGo have pretty good instructions? I've read that the B&M instructions are lacking.
I had no issues following the instructions. You can go to the TransGo site and watch an installation video there:
http://transgo.com/350_1&2Video.html

It was made about 20 years ago and shows the installation on a late '70s Z-28. There are some shots of the guy tearing *** around in the Camaro - that alone makes it worth watching.
Old April 29th, 2015, 06:00 PM

Awesome! Thanks Kenneth.