83 Olds Custom cruiser wagon.

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2015, 05:10 AM

83 Olds Custom cruiser wagon.

I already have a problem with the limited slip diff now I have a problem with the transmission. Tried to move her to better get a look at the Diff and could only drive in reverse. Prop shaft not turning in forward. Fluid level good.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I have had this wagon since new and these are the first problems encountered. !50K and still going strong up until now.
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by James R
I already have a problem with the limited slip diff now I have a problem with the transmission. Tried to move her to better get a look at the Diff and could only drive in reverse. Prop shaft not turning in forward. Fluid level good.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I have had this wagon since new and these are the first problems encountered. !50K and still going strong up until now.
Well, one thought is that you probably don't need to start new threads on the exact same topic, as you'll get better info if you keep all responses in one thread.

In any case, sounds like it's time for a new 200-4R. The damage to the spider gears is unusual. Have you figured out why it happened? Low gear lube level? It's easy to replace the spider gears, but I've never heard of that happening, especially with a 140 HP 307.
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the response Joe.
Forgive my ignorance but what is a 200 4R.
I changed in the forums because it seemed logical for the Transmission problem.
The oil in the axle along with the additive was attended to on a regular basis but I did tow my 17ft boat with it until I invested in a truck.
Thanks again Joe.
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by James R
Forgive my ignorance but what is a 200 4R.
That's the model of transmission that should be in your car.
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:57 AM

Ok thanks Joe. I did Google it and found out. Looks like I am in trouble with this one, cost wise.
Old February 9th, 2015, 08:58 AM

Rebuilding the transmission isn't rocket science. A clean (very clean) work table 4' long, the $20 ATSG manual, a $125 master rebuild kit and possibly some hard parts is all it takes. The fancy shmancy specialized tools add up to about 30 minutes of effort to build your own. The first time in one can be a bit of a culture shock, but it really shouldn't take you more than a day to strip it completely, and half of another to put it all back together.
Old February 10th, 2015, 05:22 AM

Professur thanks for your very supportive remarks.
First I have to get my sons together to pull the transmission then I may have a half chance to git er done.
Looking into the parts but will know more when I can get it on the bench.
Many thanks.
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:28 AM

No worries. I'd suggest watching a few rebuild videos from Youtube. Ian Johnson (extreme 4x4, spike tv) did one of the better TV rebuilds on a th-400 that's definitely worth the watching. A TH-400 isn't a TH200-4r by any stretch, but they're all operating on the same principle and his methods are valid for pretty much any non-electronic transmission out there. There are more detailed videos, but (loath as I am to award Ian any accolades) he was a highschool teacher and he does have an almost unique ability amongst TV hosts to convince his viewers that the work isn't beyond them. There's a reason RTM let him carry that show solo, and it's not only because he's an annoying git that nobody wants to work with. It's because he's got the skills to pull it off.

If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go wash my mouth out with bleach. Saying that out loud has left a bad taste.
Old February 10th, 2015, 07:34 AM
morgan

I think the pofessur is over simplifying the rebuild of the trans,along with the timetable for rebuilding it, it is a complicated rebuild as there are a lot of parts involved and you have to identify questionable parts for replacement. dont get me wrong I think you should attempt it but it will take you a while to disassemble and become familiar with the workings of it as you go, plan at least a few weeks to complete it there will be snags here and there
Old February 10th, 2015, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the response Pogo69.
I am not familiar with transmissions but I have a few things going for me.
I have my little well appointed shop, my Micrometers and other tools and I am a retired engineer. With all you good folks to help me we should be able to manage it between us. First thing, a good manual. Any recommendations?
Old February 10th, 2015, 02:53 PM

ATSG all the way. The Olds factory service manual has the full breakdown, but the ATSG is better written for the shmucks that don't have factory support and regular TSBs. Get the printed copy. The digital copy's pictures suck ***.
Old February 14th, 2015, 06:46 AM

Looking at a replacement 200R4. What do we know about the various rebuilders. Transdepot for example.
Old April 24th, 2015, 05:44 PM

trans rebuild

Did you decide to jump into a rebuild?
If you decide to do it I reccomend a copy of the atsg manual and ck performance 2004r manual.

http://www.ckperformance.com/View/GM-2004R-TECHNICAL-MANUAL

I put one together. I'm sure you can too.
Old April 27th, 2015, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the interest TexasT.
I put the job out to a locally well known repair man. He is in the process of a complete rebuild for $875. He is like me, enjoys his work and treats his customers like family. I don't have a lift and I am too old and weak to drop a tranny on my chest. Will post the results.
Outboards are my retirement activity. I have a hoist for those and I don't have to get down to fix them.

Last edited by James R; April 27th, 2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old April 27th, 2015, 04:09 PM

I hope your guy has 2004r experience or it might not be what you hoped for. Getting the pressure up and setting the clearances is very important for clutch life. The tv cable and its adjustment is also crucial for longevity. You must make sure at wot the cable it fully depressing the tv valve in the valve body. A larger 2nd gear servo is good for applying the band and tight clearance on the direct clutches and band will give good shift quality and clutch longevity.