Anyone know a transmission guy near Austin TX??

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2014, 05:04 PM

Anyone know a transmission guy near Austin TX??

I have a '61 dynamic 88 which no longer switches to R and the engine shuts off when you stop driving... My expert mechanic friend says the transmission is the issue, but his transmission guy said HELL NO to slim jims (hydramatics) anyone know someone in the greater Austin area qualified to check it out? Otherwise I'm off to do a transmission swap...
Old September 14th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It is getting harder and harder all the time to find anybody that knows anything about these old hydramatics since they haven't made them for 50 years. I talked with a guy in Fort Worth that knows them. At some point I will take my 54 to him. It seems to work pretty good but has some pretty serious leaks. I have his contact info at my office if you are interested.
Old September 14th, 2014, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I have his contact info at my office if you are interested.
At this point I'll take any help or advice I can get. I hear ya though, it's a dwindling crowd...
Old September 19th, 2014, 11:16 AM

Slim Jim

Slim Jim Roto 10 parts are getting harder to find. If it weren't for the tunnel, I would tell you to go with DC hydro or the older dual range. Ross racing makes TH400 adapter which is probably the best thing to do.
Old September 19th, 2014, 11:27 AM

I tried asking around near here but I'm gonna try the guy in Fort Worth, he is legit when it comes to the rotohydramatics. I don't think this is gonna be a tough fix, honestly it's running decently, so I hope there are only soft part replacements. If this fails then its Ross racing for sure.
Old September 19th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The guy in Fort Worth is Irby Westmoreland and his number is (817) 295-7295. His son has a transmission shop and will R&R it and then his Dad rebuilds them. The sons name is Bob and his number is (817) 446-7295. I hope I don't have those backwards since I am reading from a scratch note. The guy does not use any china made parts. He has a source from somebody that apparently bought up lots of NOS parts. My hydraumatic is working pretty good but is really leaking. I will get it over to him this winter.
Old September 19th, 2014, 03:00 PM

Yes Irby! That's who I called, he does have a parts guy and he's available. Nice fella, his wife answered the phone first.
Old September 19th, 2014, 06:38 PM
1971 442 conv

Originally Posted by MrCnos
I have a '61 dynamic 88 which no longer switches to R and the engine shuts off when you stop driving... My expert mechanic friend says the transmission is the issue, but his transmission guy said HELL NO to slim jims (hydramatics) anyone know someone in the greater Austin area qualified to check it out? Otherwise I'm off to do a transmission swap...
Where in Austin? Contact Mike at http://www.midtownrestorations.com/home.html

I haven't used him, but heard good things about him years ago.