auto column to floor shift, please help

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM

auto column to floor shift, please help

Hi
I know this has been asked before, but does anyone have detailed info on changing from column to floor shift while keeping the column shift steering column? Is this possible to do without tearing the column apart? I know the shift lever has to come out, but what about the linkage? The floor shifter uses a cable, will it work the column linkage at the same time? I have searched , but no one has come up with a complete answer. I have worked on cars a long time , but this is new territory for me. I have already put the bucket seats and console in.( console is mounted loose for now untill shifter is mounted)
Thanks to all for any info.
Mike
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM

my question would have to be why are you so intent on keeping the column shift column?
floor shift columns are readily available on ebay cheap, and it will save you alot of trouble just using the correct column.

you wont be able to use both shift cables, it will have to be one or the other
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Past Administrator

The linkage for the column shift on a 1969 Delta 88 I owned was on the outside of the firewall. I simply removed the linkage pieces from the column (think there were two) and the transmission. Then I was able to install an aftermarket shifter on the floor. In this case the aftermarket shifter used a solid pushrod linkage to the transmission armature on the driver's side but if you plan to use a stock type shifter with a cable I would think that would work as well if you hava ALL the parts. Again, this is assuming your car would be configured like the Delta was. Of course, I still had a column with a bump where the shifter arm used to be and a display on the dash which raises the same question perro stated. When you get the floorshifter from a donor car, get the steering column too. You will still have to address the indicator on the dash though.