Kickdown and Switch Pitch Solenoid replacement in ST-300 Jetaway

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:38 AM

Kickdown and Switch Pitch Solenoid replacement in ST-300 Jetaway

I've got my 330 tuned and running well, now I'm working on my ST300 transmission.

I tested the two prongs on the driver's side of the tranny, the lower vertical (I assume kickdown) makes the clicking sound so I believe it's ok). The upper horizontal prong doesn't click, so I will need to replace the solenoid for the switch-pitch.

1.) I have done some research and found 1993623 as the part number for the replacement solenoid. Is this correct for the 1964 Jetaway w/ Switch Pitch?
2.) Are the 2 solenoids the same on both the kick down and switch pitch or do they have different part numbers?
3.) What is involved with replacing the solenoids? Can it be done w/out removing the trans from the car?
4.) I've come across the Bruce Roe switch pitch controller box, does anyone have experience with these?

I just want to make sure before I spend the money on parts....

Thanks!
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:59 AM

I have a TH 400 Kickdown Switch Pitch and mounted on an Olds 67 and I have never managed to find these two parts but doing research I discovered that my transmission is very rare and much sought after by Collectors will find what you need and if I beg you to put photos to see if they are compatible to mine.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by |-K|=K
I've got my 330 tuned and running well, now I'm working on my ST300 transmission.

I tested the two prongs on the driver's side of the tranny, the lower vertical (I assume kickdown) makes the clicking sound so I believe it's ok). The upper horizontal prong doesn't click, so I will need to replace the solenoid for the switch-pitch.

1.) I have done some research and found 1993623 as the part number for the replacement solenoid. Is this correct for the 1964 Jetaway w/ Switch Pitch?
2.) Are the 2 solenoids the same on both the kick down and switch pitch or do they have different part numbers?
3.) What is involved with replacing the solenoids? Can it be done w/out removing the trans from the car?
4.) I've come across the Bruce Roe switch pitch controller box, does anyone have experience with these?

I just want to make sure before I spend the money on parts....

Thanks!
Not sure if the solenoids are the same part number, but they look the same. Replacement is easy once you drop the pan. Simply unhook the wire, unbolt the solenoid, and replace. I don't know why you need a controller box when a simple throttle switch does the job. Try Fatsco for replacement parts.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:07 AM

Hi Joe
is this.
http://www.fatsco.com/

I also hope to find the spare.
the rebuild kit I got had everything but the solenoid and switch-pitch.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:29 AM

Thanks Joe.

I haven't been able to locate a switch pitch switch 12V+ at idle and WOT. I figured the timed and vacuum ported switch from Bruce was the way to go. Are you familiar with the Bruce Roe box?

I also planned to run the Lokar TH400 style remote kickdown switch.

Not to mention... I'd rather not run switches up on the intake when I can mount both options remotely.

I'd rather not spend the $200+ on these two items before I get the solenoids working properly in the transmission.

I will call Fatsco for my trans pan gasket, filter, and solenoid(s).

Do you have any recommendations for a good trans fluid for my Jetaway?

Last edited by |-K|=K; January 2nd, 2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by |-K|=K
........ Are you familiar with the Bruce Roe box? ........
bcroe@juno.com

Norm
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:45 PM

jetaway trans

sounds like you guys are familiar with these trannys. Do the wires unplug from the tranny?