Auto to Manual Conversion Parts

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2009, 12:36 PM

Auto to Manual Conversion Parts

Hello,

Background - I am considering buying a '68 Cutlass within the next 6 months. I want a manual transmission, so I can either buy a manual car or buy an auto and convert it. I have never gotten to deep into manual transmissions before, so in order to weight the two options could somebody help me out? For example, if I bought the following kit

1968-69 CUTLASS 442 MANUAL TRANSMISSION CONVERSION KIT
(http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/newp...asp?curpage=17)

and a tko 5/600, what other parts and modifications would I need? Would the above kit even work with the tko? I know that I would have to weld the z-bar bracket to the frame, machine the crank, and that I would have to get a shift boot, column, and speedometer for the interior (to be complete). What other costs are involved?

Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind (sheepish) - https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...onversion.html

Last edited by olds70supreme; August 31st, 2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds70supreme
For example, if I bought the following kit

1968-69 CUTLASS 442 MANUAL TRANSMISSION CONVERSION KIT
(http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/newp...asp?curpage=17)

and a tko 5/600, what other parts and modifications would I need? Would the above kit even work with the tko?
That kit appears to only cover the clutch linkage parts. You still need a bellhousing, crossmember mounts, etc. I don't know if the TKO bolts to the Muncie bolt pattern or not. You may need a custom bellhousing.

I know that I would have to weld the z-bar bracket to the frame
Actually, on the 68-72 cars the bracket is a bolt-on. The holes are already in the frame.

What other costs are involved?
Depends on what trans you have now and where the crossmember needs to be located for the TKO. The A-body e-brake cables pass through and are supported from the trans crossmember. In swapping from a TH400 (stock in the 68 442) to a Muncie, the crossmember moves forward. This requires different front and intermediate e-brake cables. I don't know where the trans crossmember needs to be located for the TKO. If it is different from your current location, the cables need to change. If it does not match either the TH400 or Muncie locations, you may need custom cables. Also, depending on the trans lenght, you may need a custom driveshaft. And finally, what driveshaft yoke is required for the TKO? The TH400 and M22 Muncie use one (larger) yoke, all other GM transmissions (lesser Muncies, Saginaws, Jetaway, TH350, even 200-4R) use a smaller one.
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:01 PM

Also rear of crank needs to be drilled or adapter installed for pilot bearing/bushing. Auto cranks are machined differently on this end.
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:40 PM
car guy

From personal experience I would stay away from Parts Place 3 times the wrong parts was enough for me.

As for the conversion it bolts right to the the GM belhousing. In my car I moved the trans mount back to where the the front holes were in the back and drilled new holes for the back. I used all stock mechanical linkage (that worked once I got the right parts from Fusicks)

The biggest issue is the floor. Is you don't plan on slamming the car I have heard it will barley fit under a 68-72 floor. If you want the car low to get the driveline angles right you need to get the rear of the trans up and will require cutting the floor.

classichevy5-speed has a lot good install info on thier site
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:45 PM

Give these guys a call http://www.cms-grp.com/ Classic Motor Sports Group.

They helped me with my 48 Olds where I am putting a TKO-600 behind a 455.

I am using a hydraulic clutch with a floating throw out bearing. Bought the whole kit including trans, bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate. I already had a flywheel but they can supply that and a driveline as well. Verry helpful group of guys. I stopped in CA and met them a while back. Nice operation
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Also rear of crank needs to be drilled or adapter installed for pilot bearing/bushing. Auto cranks are machined differently on this end.
Yeah, but he's got that on the list already:

Originally Posted by olds70supreme
I know that I would have to weld the z-bar bracket to the frame, machine the crank, and that I would have to get a shift boot, column, and speedometer for the interior (to be complete).
Old September 1st, 2009, 06:12 AM

Well, depending on what I find out there for sale, I am thinking I will buy a car that already has a 4 speed. If I decide to go with a 5 or 6 speed in the future I'll already have a lot of the parts to do so, and will be able to sell the 4 speed to help finance the 5-6 speed.
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:53 AM

I did a 100% GM parts conversion from a T400 to a 4 speed Muncie.

I would be happy to help you learn what you need to do.

The 5/6 speed conversion is much more involved and expensive.
Old November 20th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Senior Moment Member

I converted mine from auto to 4 speed. Well worth it, but you should definitely consider an overdrive. While expensive I sure wish I had one when buzzing down the road at 300 rpm in 4th only doing 5. 3.73 gear, yipes. Jim. Call me if you need advice. I think you have my number.
Old September 1st, 2014, 12:03 AM

I need some help on the 4 spd auto issues - I've got a Auto 400 I'd like to drop in

Originally Posted by My442
I did a 100% GM parts conversion from a T400 to a 4 speed Muncie.

I would be happy to help you learn what you need to do.

The 5/6 speed conversion is much more involved and expensive.
Old September 1st, 2014, 12:05 AM

Let me know if there is an easy way to just swap cranks to switch out the problem I have both trans (MT & 400) E block 400 cu inch engines. Is it easier to just swap cranks and call it the day