Clutch adjustment

Old March 19th, 2017, 10:13 PM

Clutch adjustment

Just recently converted my cutlass to a 4 speed. So far i have about a thousand miles on it and i have had to adjust the clutch slightly 3 times. Is it normal to have to make a few adjustments when breaking in a new clutch? Also when the transmission gets warm it will sometimes grind slightly when going into 3rd gear. Doesnt do it every time, just usually at higher speeds. I am positive that the clutch is fully releasing as it shifts into all the other gears as well as reverse smoothly without any grinding. It is a freshly rebuilt m20 that had zero miles when i installed it.
Old March 19th, 2017, 10:52 PM

I used to adjust the clutch on my gto regularly. You should check all components from pedal to fork for wear. Bushings and linkage can wear over time. Also incorrect shifter adjustment or wear can cause problems. good luck youtube has some good videos for shifter/clutch adjustmen
Old March 20th, 2017, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Adjust clutch so that there is 1 inch of free play at the top of the pedal travel.
Old March 20th, 2017, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Napoleon1991
Also when the transmission gets warm it will sometimes grind slightly when going into 3rd gear. Doesnt do it every time, just usually at higher speeds.

It doesn't sound like the clutch.

Did it get a full rebuild including syncros? Mine does exactly what yours does and I think it's the syncros or the shift rods binding slightly.
Old March 20th, 2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
It doesn't sound like the clutch.

Did it get a full rebuild including syncros? Mine does exactly what yours does and I think it's the syncros or the shift rods binding slightly.
It was fully rebuilt by a guy who came highly recommended for muncies. I adjusted the shift rods perfectly, but my original hurst shifter does have some slop in it, im not sure if that would cause the grinding.
Old March 20th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Cory

Since the symptoms are more prevalent after warming up, It could be a bad pilot bushing. Many aftermarket clutch kits come with pilot bushings made of steel vs oil impregnated bronze and they tend to drag when heat expanded causing the pilot shaft to continue to turn at engine rpm vs free wheeling.

A broken throwout bearing spring retainer on the clutch fork can create your symptoms also.
Old March 20th, 2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by dream66
Since the symptoms are more prevalent after warming up, It could be a bad pilot bushing. Many aftermarket clutch kits come with pilot bushings made of steel vs oil impregnated bronze and they tend to drag when heat expanded causing the pilot shaft to continue to turn at engine rpm vs free wheeling.

A broken throwout bearing spring retainer on the clutch fork can create your symptoms also.
Why only third gear? I'm interested as well because I've rebuilt my shifter and put a new clutch, pilot bearing and throw out bearing in and it still has a tendency to grind into third on a hard shift. I wasn't doing any of the above to specifically address that problem but it didn't help either.

Last edited by allyolds68; March 20th, 2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old March 20th, 2017, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by dream66

if it was the pilot bushing wouldnt it be difficult to get into reverse as well? Also i did buy an oilite bronze bushing from autogear so i doubt it would have failed so quickly especially since i dial indicated the bellhousing.
Old March 20th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Cory

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Why only third gear? I'm interested as well because I've rebuilt my shifter and put a new clutch, pilot bearing and throw out bearing in and it still has a tendency to grind into third on a hard shift. I wasn't doing any of the above to specifically address that problem but it didn't help either.
I'm no expert. Just relating issues that I've encountered with my clutches/trans over the years.
These 2 guys are the experts and they have great reputations for customer service:
http://jodystransmissions.com/

http://www.5speeds.com/