Hydramatic Crossover for 1952 Super 88

Old February 27th, 2017, 08:20 AM

Hydramatic Crossover for 1952 Super 88

Hi all.Well, just got my 303 motor running well yesterday. Put 'er into D and realize I will have to replace the hydramatic. I changed out the filthy fluid, and was able to drive once around the yard, but bad slipping. Will I have to look for the specific 1952 Hydramatic? Or are there any crossovers that may fit in. I am skilled enough to remove and reinstall the trans, but not enough to rebuild. Mine has the no P. Goes from N Dr S Lo and R. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks, Robert
Old February 27th, 2017, 09:26 AM

The # on the side plate is R-53 74469
Old February 27th, 2017, 04:41 PM

Try to find a transmission out of a 54-56 slant pan hydramatic. They are the same bolt pattern and the crank should be drilled the same. Lots stronger and would probably last a lifetime behind a 303.... Tedd
Old February 27th, 2017, 06:00 PM

Thanks for that Tedd. The guys at the truck yard here have one over in the corner that came with a motor. I wanted to see if the front band is adjustable, I now see why a trans jack is a must. Got to be 600 lbs.
I removed the pan again today to have a closer look.
Appears to be two drums. The band around the rear drum is tight. The band around the front drum is very loose. I can easily slide it back and forth with my finger. I do not know if there is an adjustment possible while installed.
With a clean screen and new fluid it is stronger and wants to move forward. But I don't think it would pull a hill. And no reverse.
Will start looking around for info on a 54-56 slant pan. This trans also has a pan that is higher at one end than the other. Thanks, Robert
Old February 27th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Phantom Phixer

Be aware that if you trade a slant pan hydra for a straight pan you will also need items such as linkage and fill tubes etc. from the car that the slant pan was in. Also the overall length may vary from what your car requires . This would involve shortening or lengthening the drive shaft .
You will be better off staying with a straight pan hydra . They are just as strong as a slant pan .
The only reason they were preferred by drag racers of days gone by , was that there was less intrusion of the trans into the passenger compartment . A valid consideration in say , a 41 ****** coupe .
52 & 53 trans are dual range and should bolt right in , except that some models had a longer tailshaft ( 98's ?)
49-51 single range transmissions will fit OK too. Again , watch the length.
The only difference between the single range and dual range is the gear selector . The single range has no S "super" position that you can use to hold the car in third gear .

Frankly , I think your next investment should be in a 1952 Oldsmobile factory shop manual ,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...anual&_sacat=0
This book will tell you everything you will need to know about the Hydra-Matic . Including troubleshooting , repair, adjustment , and (If you're brave enough ) complete overhaul .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; February 27th, 2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old February 27th, 2017, 07:41 PM

Great idea Charlie. That way I won't have to ask so many dumb questions.
Just bought one on ebay. Thanks for the link.
I went out to the car and found a plate on the floor. When removed it revealed the two band adjustment locknuts and set screws. I don't have a special tool, but I will try an adjustment of these per the instructions and see if I can straighten the problem out w/o removal. I did not see any metal bits while "goldpanning" the old fluid. Robert