HELP! Pulling engine from '70 Toro

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2014, 12:38 PM

HELP! Pulling engine from '70 Toro

Hello, I've pulled many engines, including many Olds V8s, but never from a front-drive car.

I believe I've disconnected everything, and engine comes off front frame mount, but is not separating from trans bellhousing.

I've removed the starter.
I've removed 6 "upper" bolts from bellhousing to block.
I have not unbolted torque converter, I usually leave attached to flexplate when pulling engines.

Are there more bolts between trans and block?
Do I need to unbolt torque converter? If so, is it like a THM from below?
Toro oil pan has a "notch" around a cross-shaft, will the engine come past this shaft?

Finally, the remains of the Toro including trans are destined for scrap - so Sawzall methods are acceptable.

I appreciate any guidance on this.

Regards, Steve
Old November 21st, 2014, 01:17 PM

There is an inspection plate between the flexplate and engine, that needs to be unbolted. I know there's an old thread discussing Toro engine removal. I'll look for it.

If the transmission isn't broken you can get some $$ for it. Don't trash it if you don't have to. I shipped three Toro transaxles from Oregon to Maine where a Motorhome guy was happy to save them. In fact, I hope you offer parts off the Toro before junking it. Many items are not reproduced and although the demand isn't as high as Cutlass/442's they do have a following.

John
Old November 21st, 2014, 01:32 PM

I'm not finding the old thread I had in mind. But here's some photos that I hope may help. Look at the bellhousing, in the 5:30 and 6:30 positions. Those are the small holes that the inspection cover attaches to. Also about 3:30 underneath where the transmission to engine bolt attaches is another one. It will take a 3/8" socket and I used several extensions to reach it from the front.

P1020135.jpg

I removed the front clip then pulled the engine and transmission as a unit on this 1967 Toro. Takes more time removing the front clip, but then everything on the engine/transmission is easy to access.
P1020126.jpg
Old November 21st, 2014, 01:52 PM

John, many thanks. I've posted the parts and the car here and elsewhere as a parts car or parts, with no response. Trans is good, 69k mile car, OJ trans.

I'll get at those other bolts tomorrow.

Thanks, Steve
Old November 21st, 2014, 02:01 PM

John, after I get those bolts out and the inspection cover off, will I then unbolt the torque converter to get the engine out?
Thanks, Steve
Old November 22nd, 2014, 12:56 PM

Yes, you will want to remove the torque converter bolts as there is not room for the engine to come forward enough to clear the front of the oil pan with converter attached. Once the converter bolts are out you can begin to pull up on the motor while jiggling it forward a little and with some patience it should come out. It is a tight fit so be slow and careful. Hope that helps as I did this once on a '70 Toro.
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:56 AM

hey there,

sent you an email...maybe i need some parts.

i pulled my engine several times...so dont hesitate to ask any questions.

kay
Old December 1st, 2014, 06:00 AM

2blu442: You saved me. That little bolt at 3:30 is a bastard, can't have more than about 3 or 4 threads into bellhousing, but sure holds up the process. Also, the back trans/engine bolt on driver's side is a b*tch.

Anyway, engine's out! Thanks for the guidance. Steve

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I'm not finding the old thread I had in mind. But here's some photos that I hope may help. Look at the bellhousing, in the 5:30 and 6:30 positions. Those are the small holes that the inspection cover attaches to. Also about 3:30 underneath where the transmission to engine bolt attaches is another one. It will take a 3/8" socket and I used several extensions to reach it from the front.

I removed the front clip then pulled the engine and transmission as a unit on this 1967 Toro. Takes more time removing the front clip, but then everything on the engine/transmission is easy to access.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 01:34 AM

Hello
If you sold the chain, betwen engine and Transmission, please let me know. I need that chain and I`m looking for. mike
Old December 2nd, 2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Germanmike
Hello
If you sold the chain, betwen engine and Transmission, please let me know. I need that chain and I`m looking for. mike
I don't recall disconnecting any chain, tell me more and I'll look for it.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:10 AM

its not a chain between engine and transmission...the chain is part of the th425 transmission. check link:

http://www.pjp.fi/osatorikuvat/242.jpg