'69 instrument panel/cluster removal, how?

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:24 PM

_| 1 |_
I'm having a real blast trying to get this thing out.
Do you have to remove the steering column?

I've taken out 2 large screws on each bottom side, and 1 small screw on each top half. Doesn't seem to be any more than that, since I can wiggle it on all sides.
I can maybe wiggle it a half inch out, and it feels like the only thing stopping it is the column.

_| 2 |_
Also kind of on-topic, what about the center vent in the dash? Kind of looks just set in there... but I don't want to risk bending it by trying to pry it out.

Thanks!

Last edited by wikkonado; September 2nd, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by wikkonado
_| 1 |_
I'm having a real blast trying to get this thing out.
Do you have to remove the steering column?

I've taken out 2 large screws on each bottom side, and 1 small screw on each top half. Doesn't seem to be any more than that, since I can wiggle it on all sides.
I can maybe wiggle it a half inch out, and it feels like the only thing stopping it is the column.

_| 2 |_
Also kind of on-topic, what about the center vent in the dash? Kind of looks just set in there... but I don't want to risk bending it by trying to pry it out.

Thanks!
The dash pad has to come out too. Get the assembly manual and the location of the speed nuts is obvious. The center post is pressed in and doesn't have a nut on it. You have to give it a rap from the back side to loosen it. There are a bunch of threads on the 68-69 dash removal if you search.

Last edited by allyolds68; September 2nd, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
The dash pad has to come out too. Get the assembly manual and the location of the speed nuts is obvious. The center post is pressed in and doesn't have a nut on it. You have to give it a rap from the back side to loosen it. There are a bunch of threads on the 68-69 dash removal if you search.
I think those threads are all on the Cutlass dash removal though. I don't know that there is one for the Toro.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by starfire
I think those threads are all on the Cutlass dash removal though. I don't know that there is one for the Toro.
Sorry about that. I answered it on my iphone and his sig doesn't show up
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:49 AM

wikkonado,

To pull the IP cluster you will have to unbolt and allow the column to drop down. It makes life easier and should go right back into place once the cluster is out. The shift indicator from the column also sips into the cluster at the bottom. Did you disconnect the speedometer cable? Not much slack there. The A/C and wiring harnesses may also be holding it in. If I remember correctly the harness is on the opposite side of some dash braces. There is at least one screw holding the harness in place plus the connectors. You don't have to pull the L.H. dash pad.

The center air outlet is held in buy two nuts through the metal under the top pad.

If you have any more questions, PM me, I'm local to you in Waukesha.
Good luck,
Brian
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:51 AM

I just did this + some on my 68 Toronado. Trust me it’s not fun at all. Three bolts hold the steering column in place. You will need to remove them. If your Toro is equipped with a tilt and telescopic column. Then you will want to extend it as far as you can and then tilt it down as far as it will go. Then put a block of wood between the wheel and the seat. If you do not do this, you might bend and break the gear position indicator. Once you do this then there will be 4 bolts attached to brackets that you need to remove. This will allow the instrument panel to tilt forward. I am not exactly what you wanting to do, but you are really going to need to remove the instrument panel portion of the dash. Otherwise, you are going to be fishing in the amazon… Are you needing to remove the entire thing, or just to work on something?

Last edited by 68RocketAction; September 4th, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:07 PM

Almost forgot, you are also going to need to unhook the seedometer cable from the transmision. I have some diagrams and exploded views at home. I will try to post them later.

Last edited by 68RocketAction; September 4th, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:16 PM

I have to remove the instrument panel completely.
I just got the front seat completely out last night (it was junk anyway), to give me better access.
I don't have the tilt & telescopic wheel, so I removed the 4 bracket bolts (I didn't see any others?) and gave the wheel a yank, it moved about 6" out, and I noticed it was pulling the whole shaft from inside the engine as well. I did have the gear selector unhooked already though.
Must have missed something :P
I'll take another look tonight.
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:42 PM

It’s defiantly a real pain. There is one bolt on the back just behind that speedometer that holds most of the cables. Once you get that undone it’s much easier. I also had a ton of trouble with the headlight switch. So just as an FYI: there is a brass looking button on the side of it that you press in and then it will release the **** so you can remove it.
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:52 PM

Old September 15th, 2013, 05:46 PM

Thanks for that!

I was able to get the instrument cluster out, finally.

The center air outlet... I got out with a sawzall
The dash was shot anyway, so I just cut it out. I was tired of inhaling 44yr old dust.