Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Decoding Help on a 1964 442

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2011, 02:35 PM

Decoding Help on a 1964 442

I'm in the middle of a restoration on a 64 442. I purchased it from the original owner last yer, the car was still at the same address as when purchased almost 48 years ago. I have attached the protectoplate, cowl tag and two sheets I found, one under the rear seat, the other under the front passenger sheet. I was told that these were build sheets, but not like any one I ever seen before. Perhaps someone could help me decode these. It is a Regal Mist bucket seat car (holiday coupe) with console and power rear antenna (could that be the "T" code on the cowl plate?). Car was delivered in June of 1964 and was a Lansing car. The guy I bought it from is looking for his original paperwork, but if unable to find it will provide a notarized letter. I'm really confused on the tag I found under the front passenger seat. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Build sheet under rear seat.JPG (135.5 KB, 109 views)
dataplate 2.jpg (49.1 KB, 136 views)
Protec-to-plate.jpg (49.7 KB, 120 views)
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:58 PM

First of all, cool as hell that you were able to buy this from the original owner. It's cool as hell that he kept it that long.

Second, we really can't read anything in the photo of the cowl tag. You either need to get a photo from closer in or carefully write down everything it says and post it here.

Third, I do not think those two pieces of paper are anything like a build sheet. People have found things like them before, and someone on here will probably know specifically what they are. Someone can surely decode the protect-o-plate as well.

I do know that your vehicle's VIN is on it. But VIN's in those days didn't carry that much information. Your 824M252946 translates as a 1964 F-85 Cutlass with a V-8 engine. I'm sure you already knew all those things.

Also, as I'm sure you know, 1964 was the first year for the 442, and it was just an option package on the Cutlass. I don't think the fact that it's a 442 is reflected at all in the VIN nor the cowl tag, but I don't know for sure about the cowl tag.

Now, most importantly, we need to see photos of your car!!!

Last edited by jaunty75; January 23rd, 2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:07 PM

Sorry about the picture of the cowl plate

Let's see: Cowl Plate:
Style 64-3237 Body LA 19944
Trim 960 Paint L-L
ACC 2L- G- T

1964 2DR Hardtop Made in Lansing 19944 number sequensce
Black Interior Regal Mist Paint Upper & Lower
Bucket Seats, Console, not wure what "T" is. Car does have a power rear antenna.

Working on the frame tomorrow, getting it ready for blasting & Paint.

Pictures are posted on the 442 Forum of this website. Thanks for your help.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:26 PM

The two pieces of paper are smaller examples of what are called broadcast cards. The first one is not for your car, the second is. Its basically a piece of paper with your Fisher Body codes on it, like your cowl tag.

2L is your 4 speed, G is your console. T is your power antenna.

02 499 is your dealer code. Do you know the dealer that sold it?
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:59 AM

The two sheets you have Randy are Fisher Body broadcast tickets. They usually are found attached to the seat springs, and are used by the Fisher trim line to make sure that the right seats ended up in the correct car. As you know, Fisher was responsible for supplying the seats, both front and rear. The car bodies came into the main assembly plant from Fisher with the front seats bolted to the floor. Depending on which options had to be installed by Olds or GMAD, the carpeting might have been down or supplied in the trunk. Ever wonder why the seat tracks are bolted to the floor and not on top of the carpet? The carpets are slit so that they can be installed around the seat tracks. Bolting seats on top of the carpet is not original procedure.

If anyone ever has a question about which components were installed by Fisher, just check the Fisher Body service manual for your year. If it was covered in that manual, Fisher was responsible for that item.
Old February 5th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Thanks, and here's an interesting tidbit

I'm assuming the seats in my car came from the factory as they were bolted to the floor and had been there a long time, probably since new. The broadcast sheet for the right passenger bucket was not intended for this car since it has a different number than on the cowl plate. The number on that broadcast sheet is 13439. The rear seat does match.
Maybe a quality control problem at the factory?
Attached Images
dataplate 2.jpg (49.1 KB, 39 views)
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:58 PM

It was probably just a matter of mixing up a seat, and not paying attention to the broadcast card. Since the worker probably knew which seats were going into your car by looking at the correct card, he just threw the next black passenger bucket in as it came down the line. A whole bunch of R.H. black buckets may have been out of sequence that shift.
Old October 1st, 2011, 02:40 PM

was this car purchased at Harper Olds in the Bronx.
Old October 1st, 2011, 06:35 PM

TK-65, I've got a project car that's a 1964 Cutlass 4 speed car with console. It doesn't have the same codes as the 442 described in this thread. Does that differ between assembly plants? Not trying to hi-jack this thread, just trying to learn as I don't have a reference book for 1964 codes. Here's whats on my car:

P1010140-1.jpg

Can you shed any light on this for me? John

And vin tag:

P1010138.jpg

Last edited by 2blu442; October 1st, 2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added picture of vin too
Old October 1st, 2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
TK-65, I've got a project car that's a 1964 Cutlass 4 speed car with console. It doesn't have the same codes as the 442 described in this thread. Does that differ between assembly plants? Not trying to hi-jack this thread, just trying to learn as I don't have a reference book for 1964 codes. Here's whats on my car:

Can you shed any light on this for me? John

And vin tag:

Is the 64 4 speed for sale
Old October 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM

CutlassLegend, it's in pretty rough shape but I'm still collecting parts with the intention of resto-rodding it some day. The factory engine and transmission were gone when I got it. I've since come up with a 455, M21 and 3.55 posi to put in it. John
Old October 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM

2blu442 sounds like a super nice drivetrain setup you got there. Good Luck with it.
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:02 AM

Cutlass Legend: Sorry for the delay, Here's a statement from the original owner:
"I purchased this car on June 29th, 1964 from Lineahan Oldsmobile in New York and was it’s only owner until I sold it to you on April 24, 2010. It was a Showroom model and I was informed that they would not be getting any more 1964 442s at this time".

He is also reproducing and sending me some photos of the car right after he bought it and throughout the years he owned it. I will post when I get them.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 02:07 PM

i have an early 64 330 with the full groove front main bearing. can anyone tell me if it's
mandatory to use that or can i use a half groove like later models? any help would be much
appreciated.
thanks brad
Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:48 AM

CutlassLegend:
You may have already gotten your answers to this question from another source, but perhaps other members are wondering what your Fisher tag says, so here goes.

Yes, Fisher Body data tags did differ from plant to plant. There were two main designs, the first being the Lansing and Kansas City tag that utilized the 5-group coding system. The second design, used by the Baltimore and Fremont plants, used a limited UPC-code system. This latter design is what you have to work with.

Top line
4D= tells us this car body was built during the fourth week of April, 1964. Some plants used a 0 in front of the 4.
5-1= on the upper right of the tag may indicate a welding truck designation and shift. Fisher plants built bodies from dozens of stamped parts. Each body style required its own specific rig (trucks) and gates to locate and hold these parts as they were sequentially welded to form the finished body. This stamp on the tag identified the particular truck used and the shift in which the body was made. With many different body styles and several different makes built in Fremont, there were dozens of specific gates (the trucks were usually the same) used. In case of a problem with quality, this number could identify the affected bodies.

Second line
STYLE 64-3237= 1964, F85 Cutlass, Holiday Coupe
BODY BF 6203= Fremont, CA assembly plant, 6,203rd Cutlass Holiday Coupe body built

Third line
TRIM 967= Black bucket seat, all vinyl
PAINT PC P= Pacific Mist lower, Provincial white upper, Pacific Mist wheels

Fourth line
ACC A49= Deluxe seatbelts, front w/retractors
B70= Upper Instrument Panel Pad
B80
= Roof Drip Rail Moldings
7882= an invoice number that would match the assembly line build sheet invoice #.

Hope this helped after all these years.

Last edited by 442ric; March 23rd, 2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by painterbrad
i have an early 64 330 with the full groove front main bearing. can anyone tell me if it's
mandatory to use that or can i use a half groove like later models? any help would be much
appreciated.
thanks brad
This is probably the wrong thread to post this question. You should start a new thread.