Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

detonation - solution

Old April 15th, 2010, 02:45 PM

detonation - solution

just thought I'd throw this out for your thoughts ... moderately built 455 with Edlebrock heads and flat top pistons ... just about 10.5 to 1 compression, 200# tested compression ... cannot run on this California gas, 91, without rattling ... I have disconnected the vacume advance line and retarded it to about 31 total ... it has been suggested that we take it back down to about 9.9 to 1 to be comfortable for every day street driving ... has anyone else had this issue? Solved it? your suggestions greatly appreciated ... Bob Lynch blynch@fusioncmg.com
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Ben

How often do you drive?

buy a few bottles of Kemco 130 octane supreme- and put one in with a full tank of gas. And forget your problem.

This is not the cheap parts store crap- it has TEL in it (LEAD) and its very expensive- but will give you real high octane leaded gas.

I know quite a few guys riding that thin line of detonation w/ high compression engines and they all run this stuff. Lucky for them they don't put too many miles on their cars- ususally to and from the race track and sunday cruises to the burger stand.

Other options... Thicker head gasket? Change the heads?
If it were me i would try to avoid changing pistons.
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Ben

http://www.batterystuff.com/fuel-treatments/
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:03 AM

I had a detonation problem with my 455. stock 68' Toto 455, 230/230 comp cam.
I had to disconnect the vacuum advance and retard the timing, I also put the heviest advance springs on the HEI, this reduced the rattling but did not cure it. What I found was that the Demon 750 was screwed up and the engine was running very lean. I rebuilt a 68' Q-Jet back to stock Oldsmobile spec's and put it on this spring. I had to add vacuum advance, go to lighter springs and advance the base timing and I still don't have a hint of detonation. I didn't know this but a lean miss can make your plugs look like the motor is running rich. I would swap out the carb and see if it fixes the problem.
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:20 PM

grt input ... thanks ... I have a good Q-jet here that I can swap ... worth a try ... Bob
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:30 PM
GM Enthusiast

I had the same problem with one of my cars. I started with the carb and made sure it was not running lean. (Increased jet size by 2, put in a softer spring for the power piston - that helped) I did not want to retard the timing because it definitely affected performance. I changed the plugs and put in a colder heat range (45 down to 43). That made a big difference but still did not eliminate it completely. Octane boost was my answer. I still have the issue if I do not add the octane boost. My next step will be to swap out cams and put in one that bleeds off more cylinder pressure than the one I have in there now.
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:56 PM

I too have an issue with detonation. Luckily for me, premium gas (or premium mixed with mid-grade) cures the problem completely. I have since adjusted my timing (it was 6 degrees advanced) and have noticed no power changes, but it knocks less when I try to run regular gas. I think I'll be able to get away with mid-grade without any premium. I'll have to try next fill-up.

I personally do not know just what to do from here to try to do away with the detonation. The owners manual clearly indicates I can use gas that is 87 or 91 octane. My I recently adjusted the air/fuel mixture on my carburetor to the optimal setting, and thats all I can think of off hand to do. Car is 100% stock and designed to run on unleaded fuel.

I do plan on doing some engine work when I get this car into secondary status and no longer a daily driver. Mild cam, new timing set(351C versus 351M...while off topic, I should mention that the 351M timing is retarded from factory), and a higher volume oil pump(dang 351M doesn't have very good oil pressure. Most don't. My solution was thicker oil and Lucas 100% petroleum additive. Boy, this will be a great time to find another Olds for cheap ($2K?).

--Ryan
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:38 PM

drop the plug heat range a couple of steps and go up in jet size. hot and lean tends to detonate easier. adjusting the cam timing a few degrees will lessen cylinder pressure
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:05 AM

hpefully i am a good man cuz i sure know my limitations ... thanks guys for all the help ... soon, i will dig iinto it step by step and see what happens ... bob