1979 Holiday 88 350 SBO Fuel Pump Question

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

1979 Holiday 88 350 SBO Fuel Pump Question

Just a quick question, I was planning on replacing the fuel pump on my project car, the 1979 Holiday 88 with a Olds 350, but I noticed the Oldsmobile engine's have a pump with a third line. Just curious what it does, and if it's required. I am swapping a Summit carb in place of the Q-jet soon, so the charcoal canister, like on my '77 will not be hooked up. EGR will be deleted, vacuum mess including cruise control will go away. So, after all this, is this third line needed?

Also, do these Oldsmobile 350 engines have a rod that kicks the fuel pump like a Chevy engine? The only true Oldsmobile engine I've done anything too is the 307 that was in my '86 Custom Cruiser.

I have a rubber line connecting the hard line to the Q-jet on the car, and it barely feels like it's kicking any fuel. The car does run, but I can tell it's not getting as much fuel as it should. The rubber fuel line on it in comparison to my '77 with a SBC feels weak, the one on my '77 feels like it's got a heart stuck too it. It's almost creepy, almost.. It's alive, it's ALIIIIIVE!
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

The third line is a fuel return line and was only used on cars that would have had high underhood temperatures. It is designed to circulate some of the hot underhood fuel back to the tank to help cool the fuel and reduce the chances of percolation or vapor lock. It's a good thing to have with the stuff that passes for gasoline today.

The fuel pump pushrod is a Chevy thing only. Olds motors do not use them.
Old March 29th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The third line is a fuel return line and was only used on cars that would have had high underhood temperatures. It is designed to circulate some of the hot underhood fuel back to the tank to help cool the fuel and reduce the chances of percolation or vapor lock. It's a good thing to have with the stuff that passes for gasoline today.

The fuel pump pushrod is a Chevy thing only. Olds motors do not use them.
Thanks, thought that was a return, didn't think about it being used to recirculate hot fuel though. I was hoping the fuel pump didn't use one of those, the 307 in my '86 Olds didn't have one, and this thing says it fits a 307, 350, etc.