1970 350 Rocket - Flexible Lines

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2015, 04:30 PM

1970 350 Rocket - Flexible Lines

Hey Guys,

Seen some setups with the rigid stainless fuel line (pump to carb) ditched for the flexible braided line with anodized connectors. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Also was curious if anyone had experience with the braided stainless top/bottom radiator hoses and if they worked, leaked, good or bad?

Thanks
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:42 PM
Administrator

There is nothing wrong with converting from the hard steel line to a larger diameter quality braided line with AN fittings for a performance application. I'm not big on spending the money purely for bling though. The radiator hoses I've seen are just a braided covering with a hidden sleeved hose clamp, I don't care for them.
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:54 PM

Any performance gain with the larger diameter braided fuel line?
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:06 PM

The advantage is if you already have rubber lines they are cheaper than buying all new hard lines.Now any hoses over six inches i think NHR rules say you have to use stainless steel braided lines. My opinion is the both work well. I use braided stainless steel lines because my car had way to many long rubber hoses for fuel. Now i do use a hard line at the carb. I also am a Drag Racer. I also use a heat barrier on my braided lines all the way to the hard line at carb. As for radiator i don't know never used anything but molded rubber hoses.
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I just used half inch aluminum line from the fuel cell to the front of the frame. I used exactly 6 inches of rubber line from the frame to the pump and i sleeved it with industrial stainless steel sleeving i found at a local home improvement resale store. then i used braided lines from the pump to the carb. The only reason i did that is becasue i had a nice fuel log with AN- fittings and i bough a box of miscellaneous AN- lines and fittings for 10 bucks at a swap meet to make it all happen. The bigger sized line does not add HP it allows more volume of fuel to the fuel pump . Think like chugging a beer. Chugging from a glass bottle is hard as the neck only has such a small opening chugging from a beer glass is easier as the opening of the glass allows more beer in. More fuel volume to the pump means the pump has more fuel to flow out or less likely to run out so to speak . Much like an exhaust system the the fuel line size can become a restriction if the engine needs much more fuel flow than the lines allow.
Old February 25th, 2015, 04:39 PM

I'll just stick with my stock hard line to the carb then. Although Copper makes a good point. It does seem like the more beer I drink, the fast I can go, lol. Jk.