Quadrajet restoration

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2014, 07:41 AM

Quadrajet restoration

I have an old Quadrajet that I got in the parts for my car and decided to rebuild it. The number is 7043255, when I looked it up it is off of 73-74 Oldsmobile (makes sense, engine is 74) I have looked up all of the parts I need but looking it over I am not sure if the idle stop is any good, the question I have is, do I need it? I have read some people say there's is unplugged and not used, so can I leave it and it's bracket out? Also, Is it best to have it soda blasted? Or could I use my sand blaster? And what are the average soda blasting prices for the three pieces of the body?
Old August 20th, 2014, 08:18 AM

I would never blast any carb with anything. Get yourself a big bucket of carb soak and let it sit in it overnight. Wash it good in hot running water and blow it out with compressed air. If you don't want the bucket, use Berryman carb and choke cleaner in the spray can. Use two if necessary.
Old August 20th, 2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by edzolz
I would never blast any carb with anything. Get yourself a big bucket of carb soak and let it sit in it overnight. Wash it good in hot running water and blow it out with compressed air. If you don't want the bucket, use Berryman carb and choke cleaner in the spray can. Use two if necessary.
I like that better because I don't really have a blasting unit, but I'm surprised that soda blasting isn't being recommended.
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:39 AM

Idle kicker solenoid was use to bump up the idle when AC was on.
No AC, no need for it.
They make carb cleaner chemicals, just do that.
The finish is kind of fragile, I would hesitate to blast it with anything at all except air.
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
Idle kicker solenoid was use to bump up the idle when AC was on.
No AC, no need for it.
They make carb cleaner chemicals, just do that.
The finish is kind of fragile, I would hesitate to blast it with anything at all except air.
Great, I guess I will find a good carb cleaner. An that's great as well, I have no a/c so I won't buy a new one. I had read that you don't need it for no a/c but then they said something about it being used at other times. Thanks for the help
Old August 20th, 2014, 08:25 PM

Some of those were used to set the base idle the 74 88 i have is,it states that on the vec label on rad support with ca emissions,the screw on the carb was set lower than idle speed as to prevent dieseling when shutting off the engine.These years were so lean that's the reason imo.Nick
Old August 21st, 2014, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by nsnarsk65cutlass
Some of those were used to set the base idle the 74 88 i have is,it states that on the vec label on rad support with ca emissions,the screw on the carb was set lower than idle speed as to prevent dieseling when shutting off the engine.These years were so lean that's the reason imo.Nick
That does seem possible, my panel is for a chev because that was what was in my 78 olds, but I wouldn't have this issue of it being lean or anything if I were to use this carb on a built engine would I? I am also not sure if I will use it but I just wanted to have the chance to, I think they are a very under rated carb