Let the tinkering begin...

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2013, 05:26 PM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Let the tinkering begin...

Hello all! I am looking to start a priority list for tinkering with my 1968 Rocket 350 (and tranny). I plan on doing the following (one step at a time of course, as money allows):

Water pump
Timing chain, gears and cover
Harmonic balance
4bbl carb and intake manifold
Dual exhaust
Transmission swap (current 2 speed jetaway for maybe th350)
Engine dressing (valve covers, air cleaner, etc.)

Can you all help me find a place where I can buy the right parts (at a fair price) and maybe which of these should be done first? I know this is preference mostly, but some things are best done in a certain order?

Thanks for the help!
Old October 8th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Cheapest place for replacement parts is rockauto.com They pretty much have everything you will need like the water pump timing set gaskets etc.
Old October 8th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Rockauto is a great resource for standard parts. Intake and carb can be had through Summit or Jeggs reasonably or perhaps someone on here has them. The trans and exhaust can be separate projects, but all the other items are actually better if done at the same time. When you pull the intake you can inspect your cam, lifters and rocker assy's and replace if necessary. Timing chain requires the removal of the water pump, harmonic balancer and the cover. I'd throw in a new thermostat also. If the balancer is good just put it back on. This also would be a good time for new belts and hoses. And the dress up stuff can be installed upon reassembly.
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:06 PM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Rockauto is a great resource for standard parts. Intake and carb can be had through Summit or Jeggs reasonably or perhaps someone on here has them. The trans and exhaust can be separate projects, but all the other items are actually better if done at the same time. When you pull the intake you can inspect your cam, lifters and rocker assy's and replace if necessary. Timing chain requires the removal of the water pump, harmonic balancer and the cover. I'd throw in a new thermostat also. If the balancer is good just put it back on. This also would be a good time for new belts and hoses. And the dress up stuff can be installed upon reassembly.
I am about to show my ignorance but, you have to learn, right? I have confidence I can do anything that does not require the engine to be pulled, because I don't have the tools or the workshop space (to pull and store the engine). With that said, would not the cam, lifters and rockers require the engine to be pulled? If that is the case, would it be better for me to wait until I can pull the engine before I begin these types of projects?
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Administrator

No, cams can be pulled with the engine in the car. Lifters and rocker assy's are very small and getting access requires the intake manifold to be removed. Your cam is probably fine, but to remove it you just have to remove the radiator and grill to gain room to slide it out.