ClassicOldsmobile.com  

Go Back   ClassicOldsmobile.com > Repair & Restoration > Engine > Small Blocks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile Forum!
Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Classic Oldsmobile Forum today!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Rodney

roller lifters

Why are retro-fit hydraulic roller lifters so expensive? I'm seeing prices of $400-500 for a set of 16 with the link bars from manufacturers like Howard's or CompCams.

I'm planning a daily driver build and would like to install a roller cam, not for high RPMs but for reduced wear. I'm reading about wiped cam lobe problems with tradition flat tappet cams because of reduced zinc in the modern oils. Thinking of installing adjustable, roller rocker arms as well for similar reasons.

I've seen some much cheaper roller lifters on ebay, but the lack of name recognition worries me. Anyone ever heard of, or used roller lifters from MaxSpeedingRods? They run $180 on ebay - see ebay link below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-olds...91654c&vxp=mtr
cdrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #2

Hydraulic roller cam and lifters from me, $695.00, any grind. All american made pieces.
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Rodney

Why are roller cams so expensive? A flat tappet cam kit for CompCams is about $200. I'm not whining, I just don't understand the $500 differential. And what's the deal with 4/7 swap on some roller cams?
cdrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #4

If you saw the types of cams side by side you'd see why. Plus the cost of the core differential. And they're still more flat tappets made than rollers, economies of scale.
Now take a look at the lifters, see any machining differences? That's why.

But with that said its getting a bit less expensive. This time last year my prices were almost 10% more. My costs have actually come down a bit.

The 4/7 swap was something Comp latched onto a few years back as another way to sell the same customer another cam.
Some claim its worth something but most acknowledge there's no appreciable difference. I offer both as the cores are different.

Last edited by cutlassefi; June 12th, 2013 at 05:02 AM.
cutlassefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrod View Post

I've seen some much cheaper roller lifters on ebay, but the lack of name recognition worries me. Anyone ever heard of, or used roller lifters from MaxSpeedingRods? They run $180 on ebay - see ebay link below.
Just remember you get what you pay for. Just like the street rod stuff from Hoffman group. Nothing but Chinese junk.
edzolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 05:31 AM
ClassicOldsmobile
1957 Oldsmobile

Paid Advertisement

submit to reddit