My '56 324: Is the oil pump working??

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2008, 06:22 AM

My '56 324: Is the oil pump working??

1st disclaimer: I am a newbie. My scenario: I have a '56 88 w/ 324 and about 67,000 miles. I tuned up the engine completely, did oil/filter change and it runs great w/ just a small amount of valve chatter.

The problem: I took of one of the valve covers to inspect for oil sludge buildup, etc. Everything was very clean... a little too clean. There was only a small amount of residual oil on the rocker assembly and springs and only a small bead of fresh oil along the bottom "trough" of the head. I'm used to my chevy 350 - which would normally show a much more "wet" valvetrain and a healthy amount of oil pooling along the top of the head. Is this normal for a 324?? I don't want to run the engine with a bad oil pump!

This is my first post. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Past Administrator

I would think if you had fresh oil collecting along the bottom edge of the head then you are getting oil up there. As to condition of the pump, an oil pressure gauge would tell you if it was working but to be honest if the engine has been/is running well then you probably don't have any worries.
And about the amount of oil collecting and pooling on the head surfaces, I think that would depend upon how many "low spots" are on any given head. And I don't think an engine could be "too clean", the previous owner was probably very conscientious about regular oil changes.
Welcome our site and to Oldsmobiles.
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Oldskool88
........ Everything was very clean... a little too clean ........
As Oldsguy said, an indication that it was well maintained. A little too well maintained?

........ Is this normal for a 324? ........
Yes. It was only a problem for those that were neglected.

........ I don't want to run the engine with a bad oil pump!
Your gauge should read over ½, at a cold idle, while on the choke, and ¼ or above, at operating temp.

Norm