Which Spark plugs ?

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:53 PM

Which Spark plugs ?

hey guys, i was wondering which spark plugs you tend to use. Im looking for more of a performance plug, because i have a 50,000 volt HEI which will be attached to accel super stock performance wires, and all i can find for plugs are AC Delco stock replacements. thanks
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Accel makes plugs that pair with their products. I'd check with them first.
Hopefully you won't have to call Japan.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:34 PM

Yea, i agree lol. Ill check, i was really hoping to use some bosch platinums or something though : ( If anyone out there has any secrets let me know lol
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM

I'll probably start an argument here, but I have run AC 44's in my race car as well as NGK'S ( don't remember the number ) with an HEI ignition and aftermarket coil and module and I have not seen any diff. in the performance.

One thing I have learned is to gap to the engine specs, NOT the ign. In other words DON'T gap a 9.5 to 1 motor at .055 just because you are running HEI.

Danny
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM

O yea, i wont lol. I cant remember what the gap was for mine, ill look it up when i get the heads assembled and back on the engine, and put the plugs in.
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by The_Jeremiah
........ i have a 50,000 volt HEI which will be attached to accel super stock performance wires ........
From a "performance" standpoint, a waste of money. I don't know what the "bling" factor might be worth to you.

........ all i can find for plugs are AC Delco stock replacements.
There is a good reason for that.

Originally Posted by 70Wcars
I'll probably start an argument here ........
Not from anyone who knows anything about the subject. If it does happen, I've got your back.

First time I put an Olds into the elevens, it had a factory ignition system, except for Niehoff points. Quality of Delco points went down, when they moved manufacturing offshore.

Norm
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:29 PM

I like to use AC Delco spark plugs. HEI ignitions are superior to points ignitions. If they weren't then why did auto manufacturers drop points ignitions by the mid to late 70s? If you compare a points and HEI ignition on an O-scope you can easily see the float and bounce points ignitions create.
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Im not worried about the "bling factor" at all actually, thank you norm for pointing that out. The reason im going with accel superstocks are because they are the best deal i have found for pre cut wires, because im getting tired of cutting them myself lol. And they definently wont hurt the situation at all, and with my past expierence i have found them to last longer than most brands. I was just seeing if there was an upgraded spark plug that i could go with. Every little bit helps.
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I like to use AC Delco spark plugs. HEI ignitions are superior to points ignitions. If they weren't then why did auto manufacturers drop points ignitions by the mid to late 70s? If you compare a points and HEI ignition on an O-scope you can easily see the float and bounce points ignitions create.
Im a huge fan of the HEI setup for that exact reason, there isnt anything wrong with a points distributor, but replacing it with an HEI gets rid of one factor in your engine performance, because the HEI runs at full power until the ignition module in the base of it goes out, and when that happens you just get another distributor and drop it in. lol just helps to make it a little simpler (sorry about the double post, but i wanted to agree with you on that, i only recently have gotten into the GM scene, and therefore havent worked with HEI's before, and after going through my first one, i was impressed with its design way more than the points setup.)
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

If the module goes bad you could just put in a new one. If you don't use one from the same year, the check engine light will always be on though. I put a module from an 81 in my 85 and it worked out. The computer has no idea wtf it is though.

When the gear takes a dump or the weights go bad is when it's just easier to get another.
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
........ HEI ignitions are superior to points ........
No one said any different.

........ If they weren't then why did auto manufacturers drop points ignitions by the mid to late 70s? ........
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...350-motor.html

........ If you compare a points and HEI ignition on an O-scope ........
Did your "scope" tell you, that both have the ability to fire the plugs under all normal conditions?

Norm
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
If the module goes bad ........
You don't go anywhere.

Points system will give you plenty of advance warning, so you will not be stranded.

Norm
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:19 AM

Old January 25th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
You don't go anywhere.

Points system will give you plenty of advance warning, so you will not be stranded.

Norm
Thats true, im just saying how often do you have to check and or replace your points ? vs How often do you have to replace the module, if it does infact go out ?
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by The_Jeremiah
Thats true, im just saying how often do you have to check ........
Checked, visually and with a dwell meter, as part of the normal PM schedule. Vacuum and centrifugal advance mechanisms are checked, at the same time.

........ or replace your points ? ........
Same time as the plugs. Usually between 15,000 and 20,000 miles.

........ How often do you have to replace the module ........
Never have. Never been stranded, either.

Norm