to straight pipe, or not to straight pipe?

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2012, 01:36 PM

to straight pipe, or not to straight pipe?

As some of you may know, im going to have my 350 rebuilt while the motors out im going to be cleaning up a few things.. One of which is the exhaust system. The car has dual exhaust out the back running thru 2 flowmasters..

I plan to run them short and just have it dump to the ground, im not a fan of tail pipes AT ALL so i like to dump my exhaust under my cars..

Should i run mufflers or run it straight pipe and **** off everyone of my neighbors?!

Obviously i will see which i like better, but what would you guys do ?

opinions on straight pipe vs muffler?
Old June 7th, 2012, 01:45 PM

Im a fan of tail pipes , but straight pipes are fun , , till the law catches up to you. lol,
Old June 7th, 2012, 01:52 PM

did you just buy this car?? just asking cuz you say it has tail pipes now, but you don't like them, so i'm guessing you didn't install the exhaust system currently on the car??

i would opt to at least dump the exhaust after the mufflers. it still will be loud as hell. straight pipes with no muffler dumped half way will have no back pressure and be EXTREMELY obnoxious. i don't mind a loud exhaust system, but i like some rumble to go along with it. straight pipes kind of get that fire cracker sound going which i don't think sounds good. it's your car, so it's up to you, but i think some back pressure is a good thing. check out Mac mufflers, or just throw on some cherry bombs. you can get some obnoxious tones but still have mufflers to shape the tone a bit.

also, i was gonna dump it after my mufflers too, but opted not to because i heard some horror stories about serious exhaust smell at traffic lights. i like your style though!!!
Old June 7th, 2012, 02:03 PM

yeah im going to dump it after the mufflers, perhaps have the mufflers right about where your butt would be if you were sitting in the back seat. Dump right before the axel..
Old June 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1965cutlassragtop
did you just buy this car?? just asking cuz you say it has tail pipes now, but you don't like them, so i'm guessing you didn't install the exhaust system currently on the car??

i would opt to at least dump the exhaust after the mufflers. it still will be loud as hell. straight pipes with no muffler dumped half way will have no back pressure and be EXTREMELY obnoxious. i don't mind a loud exhaust system, but i like some rumble to go along with it. straight pipes kind of get that fire cracker sound going which i don't think sounds good. it's your car, so it's up to you, but i think some back pressure is a good thing. check out Mac mufflers, or just throw on some cherry bombs. you can get some obnoxious tones but still have mufflers to shape the tone a bit.

also, i was gonna dump it after my mufflers too, but opted not to because i heard some horror stories about serious exhaust smell at traffic lights. i like your style though!!!
I did just buy this car a few months ago off a buddy, its not that i dont like tail pipes i just like them hidden. Plus who ever did this set up was smoking something. im not a mechanic, im a welder and seeing or even just knowing theres ugly nasty blotched up half @ss welding on my car just isent going to pass

but i agree, straight and short would more then likely sound like crap.
Old June 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM

I had my old supreme with a 455 dump before the axle with turbo mufflers and it would scare small children when I'd start it. Oh and headers too. I'm going to the bumper now cause it's too loud.
Old June 7th, 2012, 02:27 PM

dump before the axle, it'll be loud. i am in the midst of an exhaust overhaul my self, can't wait to hear it!!
Old June 7th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

I've done the dump in front of the axle thing. It sucks. The exhaust note resonates in the axle cavity. The heat from the exhaust cooks the rubber suspension bushings and the rubber brake hose. It is not a good idea.
Old June 7th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Administrator

My .02, I am deaf in 1 ear and can't hear out the other, can't stand all that resonance as mentioned by Joe. Also I hate all the debris that blows out from under the car with turndowns in front of the axle. I think with the right 2 1/2 exhaust sytem turned down at the bumper, depending on what mufflers you choose, you will still set off all teh car alarms in a Walmart parking lot and be quite appreciated in the neighborhood at night.
Old June 7th, 2012, 05:14 PM

Im 24, and i dont think my ears fully work anymore i was around screaming harleys b4 i could ride one. I like loud but im going to run mufflers i was more or less just wondering if there is even any benafit to running str8 pipes compared to mufflers
Old June 7th, 2012, 05:21 PM

first question is where do you live. many states have a law that states that the exhaust must exit after the rear axle. had to go with my buddy to court to fight a ticket for that on his AAR Cuda and show that it came from the factory with the exit in front of the tire. he got out of the ticket but only with factory documents showing it was built that way.
Old June 7th, 2012, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
first question is where do you live. many states have a law that states that the exhaust must exit after the rear axle. had to go with my buddy to court to fight a ticket for that on his AAR Cuda and show that it came from the factory with the exit in front of the tire. he got out of the ticket but only with factory documents showing it was built that way.
REALLY?! thats prett stupid i you ask me, cop was a real jerk or your budys care was screaming! Im in so california im not sure what the laws are cause ive never cared to look.. Ive done just about every truck ive had side exit and never had a issue. Unless its super super loud i dont think it would even be brought up plus i dont ever drive the car to far, just around town.. plus im pretty back road so theres not to manny cops in my city
Old June 7th, 2012, 05:59 PM

Do what my son did - ask the cop if those Harley's with straight pipes are legal?
He let him go!!
Old June 7th, 2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
Do what my son did - ask the cop if those Harley's with straight pipes are legal?
He let him go!!
Thats what im saying, but i wouldnt want to try it haha. Perhaps I can weld some sort of exhaust flange to the muffler and exhaust pipe so I can take them off if i feel like being obnoxious? haha
Old June 7th, 2012, 08:21 PM

IIRC, you live in NJ.

I got pulled over for loud exhaust on my Alero when I had the Flowmaster 80 on it. Now with Dual 44's, it's louder.

Of course I couldn't get a ticket, since my car was reg'ed in PA People can hear my car 2 to 3 block away
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Banned

I have mine dumping off the Welded Race Magnums in front of the axle, it does make your exhaust more of a ground pounder that way.

My car isn't that loud but for some reason it does set off car alarms.
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:53 AM

are the 44's louder than the 40's?? i have heard this from some people, however the flowmaster site says the 40's are the most aggressive tone.

i like the look of dual tail pipes coming out the back, personally. especially since my car came with single exhaust from the fatory, i consider my dual exhaust as a modification and like people to see those 2 pipes starting back at them when they pull up behind me.
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:17 AM

are the 44's louder than the 40's?? i have heard this from some people, however the flowmaster site says the 40's are the most aggressive tone.

i like the look of dual tail pipes coming out the back, personally. especially since my car came with single exhaust from the fatory, i consider my dual exhaust as a modification and like people to see those 2 pipes starting back at them when they pull up behind me.
not sure if there louder but there pretty darn loud ive even ran them on new trucks and they sound mean.. if you want to you can leave a parking full of screaming alarms behind you not that any of us would do such a thing
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:47 AM

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/index.php?cat=1
Old June 8th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Seems like the 40 and 44 are pretty close to the same thing I wonder what those 10 series really sound like..
Old June 8th, 2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by SBORule
I have mine dumping off the Welded Race Magnums in front of the axle, it does make your exhaust more of a ground pounder that way.

My car isn't that loud but for some reason it does set off car alarms.
Pending on your location at the time, it would be more the vibration that sets off the alarms, not the noise level. The Alero usually gets one in the parking garages, it's louder than my old Delta was with dual Super 40's. The new Delta is getting 44's, I think. I bought 2 mufflers in Janurary because JEGS was selling them for $60 instead of $85.

The Alero has a full exhaust. There is a good clip on You Tube of it