radiator stop leak

Old December 19th, 2007, 07:41 AM

radiator stop leak

I bought some stop leak for my radiator which has been losing fluid from I have no idea where. I figured I put the stuff in it in hopes of plugging the leak. Is there any cons to using this stuff? The guy at the auto store said what I bought was the best kind. On the label it said it has "pellets" that will dissolve. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Past Administrator

I have suppose you couldn't loose much in trying it. Some people have reported that by it's nature it finds small little pin holes and fills them, somehow. I guess the loss of pressure at the point where the leak is will cause a flow of coolant (makes sense) which, if the stop leak is well dissolved into the coolant evenly would carry that stop leak to the leak and allow it to do it's job and clog the leak. By this reasoning then, an older radiator with cross tubes that have decreased diameter because of old residue MIGHT get clogged up, and reduce radiator cooling efficiency. I don't know if this is true or not. I suppose at the least you could use it and it stops the leak and nothing else happens. At the worst it could cause the engine to overheat. Who knows for sure??? I know it is cheaper than a new radiator, that's for sure.
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:24 AM

It doesn't last too long.

Find the leak and fix it right
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:52 AM

I too have heard that it can plug up an old radiator. If you don't have the money to have the radiator rebuilt right now it may be a short term fix. But eventually you will need to replace or rebuild the radiator. This may also be the time you could upgrade to a 3 or 4 core radiator if you've had any overheating problems in the late summer.
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

If it is a small clog, you could crack an egg in the coolant and the egg will plug the hole.

but since you don't know where it is leaking from..... I wouldn't use either until you find the source.

I'll bet it's a bad radiator cap. Buy a new 15 pound cap and tighten all your hose clamps. Then go from there.
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by ztim
I bought some stop leak for my radiator which has been losing fluid from I have no idea where. I figured I put the stuff in it in hopes of plugging the leak. Is there any cons to using this stuff? The guy at the auto store said what I bought was the best kind. On the label it said it has "pellets" that will dissolve. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Is it dark bown guey part liquid with pellets?
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:46 PM

Yes, kevinkpk, it is brown with pellets a little bigger than BB. I drove the car today about 200 miles. When it cools down I'll check the coolant level. At least I didn't have a heat light on today. Maybe the stuff works. I'd like to fix it right, Redog, but I have to know where it is first. It may be one of those that open up only when hot. Anyway, I'll check it in the morning and let you know.
Thanks
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ztim
Yes, kevinkpk, it is brown with pellets a little bigger than BB. I drove the car today about 200 miles. When it cools down I'll check the coolant level. At least I didn't have a heat light on today. Maybe the stuff works. I'd like to fix it right, Redog, but I have to know where it is first. It may be one of those that open up only when hot. Anyway, I'll check it in the morning and let you know.
Thanks
Sounds like Barrs leak, I wasn't sure that it was still around. It was used in submarines in WWII. I have used it in the past with good results. As was expressed, fix the leak via solder or replacement. Radiator shop is where to take it IF the leak is in the raditor. They can pressure test it, find the leak and fix it. Takes low temp heat to solder the core/fins, and I'd have it done.
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Small coolant leaks are a PIA.

I just fixed on the the 350 motor. First it was slightly leaking at the waterneck downspout, tightened, then right away, at the HC outlet, moved up clamp & tightened it, then right away and the top raditor hose, Tighened and all leaking stopped.

First time I haven't had to put in coolant on a reg basis since I bought the car WOOT!
Old December 19th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Olds water necks are the stupidest. I'm going threaded between the neck and the pump, and if I have to pay a shop to thread it, so be it. That little piece of rubber hose makes me angry every time I have to look at it.
Old December 20th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Past Administrator

there are two types, one that is straight and short, the other is curved and a little longer, either way though you need a rubber hose to the water pump.
Old December 20th, 2007, 05:16 AM

You might as well just toss that stock radiator and put in a 4 core aftermarket radiator.
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:21 AM

That stop leak must have worked pretty well because the radiator is full all the way to the top. I added 1/2 gallon of water to the reservoir but that is normal since it cycled through the cooling system and filled everything in. I hope it holds.
Thanks guys.
Old December 20th, 2007, 03:08 PM

I JUST HATE THOSE THINGS,butyou still have a GREAT ENGINE
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Water leak is fixed, overheating shouln't start till summer.

Last edited by tonycpe; January 8th, 2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:40 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by Olds64
You might as well just toss that stock radiator and put in a 4 core aftermarket radiator.
I second that motion! Just tell the wife/girlfriend a four-core aluminum rad with dual electric fans will actually SAVE money in the long run.

- GoldOlds