ClassicOldsmobile.com  

Go Back   ClassicOldsmobile.com > Repair & Restoration > Engine > Small Blocks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile Forum!
Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Classic Oldsmobile Forum today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 848
PCV Valve Grommet Removal

There seems to be oil leaking out of the grommet where my PCV valve sits on the driver side valve cover. The car has aftermarket M/T Valve Covers.

I've tried removing the grommet to replace it, but I can't seem to get it out. Are they meant to be removed from underneath ( IE remove the valve cover)

I attached a picture. I have another grommet, and it looks like it should jut pop out, but it doesn't.

Click the image to open in full size.

Also, is there supposed to be a "plate" underneath it that would prevent oil from splashing up into the PCV valve? I have a set of OEM valve covers and they appear to have a splash guard of sorts. After looking in where this PCV valve is, I don't see one.
jpc647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Connoisseur d'Junque
 
MDchanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 14,310
If the grommet is old, you pretty much have to destroy it to get it out - they just get too stiff.

As for the baffle: factory covers have one, some aftermarket ones do not. If you ask me, a baffle is a god idea, but I guess Mickey had a different idea.

You best bet is to clean the surfaces really well and use some RTV or other sealant of your choice.

- Eric
MDchanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Moderator
 
Lady72nRob71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 11,563
Leaks are usually caused by a slight shrinkage as the moisture in the rubber goes away.
They come out, but mostly in pieces. They get too brittle.
I found it best to break them up to avoid gouging or bending the valve covers.

Use soapy water to aid in the insertion of the new one.
Rockauto has these.
__________________
-Rob Young


1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible- (442 clone) -"Lady" (My mistress...)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalbum/sets/
Lady's interior makeover Rally Pac stuff
Front end job Underhood resto
1986 Cutlass Supreme Coupe - "Pristine"
1978 Ford Pinto (Old Faithful) a.k.a. "the Tramp" - in the family since new.
1997 Cadillac STS
1999 Harley-Davidson Sportster - "the Freedom Machine"
Lady72nRob71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Just an Olds Guy
 
Allan R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton, Alberta. And "I am Can 'eh' jun - eh"
Posts: 16,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc647 View Post
There seems to be oil leaking out of the grommet where my PCV valve sits on the driver side valve cover. The car has aftermarket M/T Valve Covers.

I've tried removing the grommet to replace it, but I can't seem to get it out. Are they meant to be removed from underneath ( IE remove the valve cover)

Also, is there supposed to be a "plate" underneath it that would prevent oil from splashing up into the PCV valve? I have a set of OEM valve covers and they appear to have a splash guard of sorts. After looking in where this PCV valve is, I don't see one.
The grommet should just pull out. If it doesn't want to come out try twisting it as you pull up. Take a look at your replacement grommet. It will have a recessed ring that fits into the VC. Your leak could be a result of the rubber hardening. I've found that it comes out easier on a warm engine than a cold one. You do NOT have to take of the VCs to remove the grommet.

I wouldn't worry about the splash plate. It's not like theres a river of oil coming up the valve. The oil follows a downward flow pattern mostly so it wont cause a problem with the PCV. If your new grommet still leaks, you could put a small bead of RTV around the seat of the grommet.
__________________

The opinions expressed by Allan R are solely those of an Olds enthusiast and are not in any way meant to hinder a relationship between other Olds fans and their dreams...

Scientia est vox
Allan R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan R View Post
I wouldn't worry about the splash plate. It's not like theres a river of oil coming up the valve. The oil follows a downward flow pattern mostly so it wont cause a problem with the PCV. If your new grommet still leaks, you could put a small bead of RTV around the seat of the grommet.
At the risk of sounding ignorant, are you sure about the splash guard. My old DD, a 1988 Ford Thunderbird with a 5.0, didn't have a splash guard on the intake below the PCV valve and the PCV valve used to suck quite a bit of oil into the tube and up to the plenum.

Maybe it's a different setup, I just wanted to ask. Would the breather on the other side reduce the pressure and further prevent the oil from coming up? Could this be a sign the motor is on "borrowed time"?

Thanks for the advice everyone. The season is probably over here in Mass, as it's supposed to snow n the next coming days, which means salt, but I'll replace it and try to see if it still leaks.
jpc647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Just an Olds Guy
 
Allan R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton, Alberta. And "I am Can 'eh' jun - eh"
Posts: 16,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc647 View Post
At the risk of sounding ignorant, are you sure about the splash guard. My old DD, a 1988 Ford Thunderbird with a 5.0, didn't have a splash guard on the intake below the PCV valve and the PCV valve used to suck quite a bit of oil into the tube and up to the plenum.
No, I'm not 100% about the lack of splash guard, I'd check with MT and ask them why they don't have one though. Maybe they have a reason?

Aside from the grommet leak, have you noticed any adverse effects of the MT covers? How would you plan to install the baffle if you decided it was necessary? This is one of the reasons I stay with stock parts - they work the way Olds wanted them to.
__________________

The opinions expressed by Allan R are solely those of an Olds enthusiast and are not in any way meant to hinder a relationship between other Olds fans and their dreams...

Scientia est vox
Allan R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cheboygan, Michigan
Posts: 123
I have the same valve covers that i bought new . Originally there was no hole in either cover for breather or pvc, but there were knockouts, which means that when they were cast there was a thinner or srcibe line that allow you to knock out the area for the factory grommets. I hope I am explaining this OK.

Anyway ,you would have the proper whole but the edges would be a little rough and most people would not file the edge and that would make it difficult to install or remove the grommet. Also don't forget that the aluminum is thicker than the stock steel cover and the grommet slot is not larger than stock .

He may have glued the old one on , so if you are sure you have the right size you don't have to worry about being rough when you take the old one off. And there are 2 sizes of the "D" shapped gommet for the PVC

And my M/T finned aluminum valve covers came with the provisions to mount the deflection plate under the pvc on the inside of the cover.
And it is even more of a pain to install the new one because you get get the underside lipof the grommet to set on the lip.
You can use the baffle with stock rockers but will have contact if you are using after market roller rockers
__________________
Old Fogey Racing Ltd.
tonycpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Registered User
 
coltsneckbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Colts Neck, NJ
Posts: 735
Just use a pair of pliers to squeeze and spin it. It will come out.
coltsneckbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #9
Moderator
 
Lady72nRob71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 11,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsneckbob View Post
Just use a pair of pliers to squeeze and spin it. It will come out.
In pieces!
I crunched mine with pliers and it broke apart - it was brittle. Did not damage the covers at all..
__________________
-Rob Young


1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible- (442 clone) -"Lady" (My mistress...)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalbum/sets/
Lady's interior makeover Rally Pac stuff
Front end job Underhood resto
1986 Cutlass Supreme Coupe - "Pristine"
1978 Ford Pinto (Old Faithful) a.k.a. "the Tramp" - in the family since new.
1997 Cadillac STS
1999 Harley-Davidson Sportster - "the Freedom Machine"
Lady72nRob71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:02 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan R View Post
No, I'm not 100% about the lack of splash guard, I'd check with MT and ask them why they don't have one though. Maybe they have a reason?

Aside from the grommet leak, have you noticed any adverse effects of the MT covers? How would you plan to install the baffle if you decided it was necessary? This is one of the reasons I stay with stock parts - they work the way Olds wanted them to.
I might not need a splash guard. When power comes back, I'll try to contact M/T. I haven't noticed any other adverse effects other than the stupid grommet leaking oil onto my manifold. They are getting old, and the black coating is starting to flake. I have an original set of covers and such, but I don't have a factory air cleaner cover or the bracket that connects the heat tube to the manifold. The stupid piece of metal is expensive from fusick and year one, which is the main reason I haven't swapped anything. Aftermarket stuff is exorbitantly expensive.

If I end up needing the plate, I'll either have to find one, or make one out of sheet metal, and take the valve cover off and find a way to attach it. On the highway it leaks enough to smell sometimes. Not sure if there are other oil leaks or not, hard to tell with it all pumping out of the valve cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycpe View Post
I have the same valve covers that i bought new . Originally there was no hole in either cover for breather or pvc, but there were knockouts, which means that when they were cast there was a thinner or srcibe line that allow you to knock out the area for the factory grommets. I hope I am explaining this OK.

Anyway ,you would have the proper whole but the edges would be a little rough and most people would not file the edge and that would make it difficult to install or remove the grommet. Also don't forget that the aluminum is thicker than the stock steel cover and the grommet slot is not larger than stock .

He may have glued the old one on , so if you are sure you have the right size you don't have to worry about being rough when you take the old one off. And there are 2 sizes of the "D" shapped gommet for the PVC

And my M/T finned aluminum valve covers came with the provisions to mount the deflection plate under the pvc on the inside of the cover.
And it is even more of a pain to install the new one because you get get the underside lipof the grommet to set on the lip.
You can use the baffle with stock rockers but will have contact if you are using after market roller rockers
Thank you for the information. How can I tell which size I need for the grommet? Do you have instructions left from the deflection plate install? Can you scan them in and email them or post them? Maybe it has dimensions and such and I can make my own.
jpc647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:32 AM   #11
Moderator
 
Lady72nRob71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 11,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc647 View Post
How can I tell which size I need for the grommet?
I ordered the Fusick one for the PCV valve and it was a perfect fit. It was tight, but it should be. I used some soapy water to help get it to slide home.
The filter grommet should have the 1" hole in it. Fusick has this one also.
I bought the airtex version from rockauto and I had to cut the groove deeper.
I eventually got it to fit.

I do not know anything about the baffels (other than they were in the covers of my '72).
__________________
-Rob Young


1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible- (442 clone) -"Lady" (My mistress...)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalbum/sets/
Lady's interior makeover Rally Pac stuff
Front end job Underhood resto
1986 Cutlass Supreme Coupe - "Pristine"
1978 Ford Pinto (Old Faithful) a.k.a. "the Tramp" - in the family since new.
1997 Cadillac STS
1999 Harley-Davidson Sportster - "the Freedom Machine"
Lady72nRob71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:54 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71 View Post
I ordered the Fusick one for the PCV valve and it was a perfect fit. It was tight, but it should be. I used some soapy water to help get it to slide home.
The filter grommet should have the 1" hole in it. Fusick has this one also.
I bought the airtex version from rockauto and I had to cut the groove deeper.
I eventually got it to fit.

I do not know anything about the baffels (other than they were in the covers of my '72).
Do you have the same covers, or factory flat style? have a set of factory correct ones, I could probably remove the plate from them and put them on these. Or use it as a template to make another one, or two.
jpc647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #13
Moderator
 
Lady72nRob71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 11,563
I have the regular stock stamped covers. Looks like the baffels are tack welded in, so removing them could be challenging.
__________________
-Rob Young


1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible- (442 clone) -"Lady" (My mistress...)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalbum/sets/
Lady's interior makeover Rally Pac stuff
Front end job Underhood resto
1986 Cutlass Supreme Coupe - "Pristine"
1978 Ford Pinto (Old Faithful) a.k.a. "the Tramp" - in the family since new.
1997 Cadillac STS
1999 Harley-Davidson Sportster - "the Freedom Machine"
Lady72nRob71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Shorewood, Il.
Posts: 3,057
Just make sure you get ALL the pieces out, if you leave the covers on.
Clogging the oil return passage can be a real PIA to clear, not to mention the havoc it can cause!
Rickman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #15
delete
 
droptopron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,430
If you fabricate a baffle make sure to use thread lock on it. You don't want that falling off & into the rocker area.
droptopron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #16
Moderator
 
Lady72nRob71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 11,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickman48 View Post
Clogging the oil return passage can be a real PIA to clear, not to mention the havoc it can cause!
I had mud in mine. Not sure HOW it drained....
__________________
-Rob Young


1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible- (442 clone) -"Lady" (My mistress...)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalbum/sets/
Lady's interior makeover Rally Pac stuff
Front end job Underhood resto
1986 Cutlass Supreme Coupe - "Pristine"
1978 Ford Pinto (Old Faithful) a.k.a. "the Tramp" - in the family since new.
1997 Cadillac STS
1999 Harley-Davidson Sportster - "the Freedom Machine"
Lady72nRob71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Shorewood, Il.
Posts: 3,057
I worked on a '65 442 that was clogged solid with shattered umbrella valve seals!
3 min. after start-up, it'd smoke the left side like a piston broke!!
New seals, on a air car, motor installed, isn't a fun job, but fixed the problem!
Had to use a coathanger and air pressure to do the unclogging.
Rickman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #18
Just an Olds Guy
 
Allan R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton, Alberta. And "I am Can 'eh' jun - eh"
Posts: 16,837
jpc647
Did you get the grommet out ok? I agree with Rob about the Fusick replacement. My grommets were getting 'hard' from age and were replaced. I replaced them on the VC and the Air cleaner. The fitment on the aftermarkets from Fusick was just fine and made a good seal. Hope your VC baffle plate works out.
__________________

The opinions expressed by Allan R are solely those of an Olds enthusiast and are not in any way meant to hinder a relationship between other Olds fans and their dreams...

Scientia est vox
Allan R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan R View Post
jpc647
Did you get the grommet out ok? I agree with Rob about the Fusick replacement. My grommets were getting 'hard' from age and were replaced. I replaced them on the VC and the Air cleaner. The fitment on the aftermarkets from Fusick was just fine and made a good seal. Hope your VC baffle plate works out.
I did buy a replacement grommet. I haven't removed the old one yet. I've called M/T but they claim they've only ever made tires and wheels.

Who the hell made these covers!? Everyone and their mother seems to have them..
jpc647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #20
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 14,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc647 View Post
I did buy a replacement grommet. I haven't removed the old one yet. I've called M/T but they claim they've only ever made tires and wheels.

Who the hell made these covers!? Everyone and their mother seems to have them..

Holley, sells em for BBC and SBC!
__________________
- (other) Eric





There is nothing that can't be solved with a suitable amount of explosives!

1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass 468/ Turbo 400
1963 Plymouth Fury (Sold)
2006 Mustang GT (Momma's)
2006 Mustang Coupe(son'S)

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n587/oldcutlass/

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...lass/plymouth/

Last edited by oldcutlass; November 11th, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
oldcutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:58 PM
ClassicOldsmobile
1957 Oldsmobile




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can I find a check valve grommet? PushRod Brakes/Hydraulic Systems 6 August 31st, 2010 12:59 AM
Pcv grommet panos Big Blocks 0 August 29th, 2010 08:53 AM
PCV Valve abram Small Blocks 2 November 10th, 2009 10:18 AM
pcv valve sborruso General Discussion 10 August 24th, 2009 07:13 PM
PCV grommet csouth General Discussion 8 June 11th, 2009 06:57 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:29 PM.


Advertising - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Jobs
All content Copyright 2008 by Internet Brands, Inc.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61