Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Engine rebuild

All, Im looking for some advice and opinions; I just pulled the motor out of my 69 cutlass. The motor was running when I took it out. The main reason I took it out was the amount of grease and filth, it needed to be cleaned. Originally, I was going to do a compression check and if it was okay, clean, re gasket, and paint it and put it back in. Now that its out, heres some questions I need help with;

1: Is this a good plan or should I have it rebuilt? Im leaning toward a rebuild

2. What is reasonable to pay for a fairly stock rebuild?

3. Any recomendations for a rebuilder in the Buffalo, NY area?
Old January 13th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

If it was me (and I wasn't worried about numbers matching), I'd finish tidying up the engine, drop it in and drive it while you figure out what your goals are and get your stuff together. Plus, with summer coming on, you can have it built at your leisure. If numbers are important, pop that puppy back in and save the rebuild for next winter. CONVERTIBLE SEASON IS COMING!

Also, how's your transmission? It'd be a good time to get it freshened, too.

C.J.
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, summer is coming! I figure Ive got 4 months, so time shouldnt be an issue. It doesnt get nice here until may.Its more a matter of $$. The motor shop I called could turn the motor around in a month. He said around 2000 bucks if its not on too bad of shape inside.

The engine ran fine when removed, it just seemed tired. Of course, The caburetor and distributor hadnt ever been touched except maybe new points.

The tranny shifted fine when I took it out. Its just filthy and needs gasketing, maybe a shift kit.
Old January 14th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I always ask the same question...is it an Olds rebuilder or is it a generic engine guy? This ain't no Ch#vy or F*rd. You can read my rants on the subject elsewhere here.

If you are doing just a freshening with no hi-performance parts, that seems a bit high...I'm thinking in the neighborhood of $1200 including head work. Just my experience.

C.J.
Old January 14th, 2007, 11:51 AM

This guys done all of them

I think hes done just about every engine. Its a regular motor shop. I just did a compression check. I had about 35 # in most cylinders, except #2 which I couldnt get any pressure in and #6 which I only got 20# in. All the plugs where white looking too, which probably means I have some carb work to do. It (motor) definalely needs some work. I was also thinking around 12-1500 bucks, but he may have been quoting high. He said he didnt want to lie to me and I had to really push him for a ball park #. Ill call around some more tomorrow.
Old January 14th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Well....if you trust him...

Just know that there are iterally hunderds of boat anchors out there that used to be Oldsmobile engines..."the clearances seem too wide" and "what's this cam button thing" and non-adjustable alve trains and valve rotators just blow their mind...

C.J.
Old January 14th, 2007, 05:37 PM

I don't think his estimate of 2K is very far off. Like Texasred said, "It isn't a Ford or Chevy" so parts won't be cheap! Especally if your heads need new valves and hardened seats! Parts would cost at least 1/3 of that, machining labor another 1/3, and disassembly and reassembly the other 1/3 of the cost. As I mention before on another thread...I'm a machinist.
Old January 14th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Ugggg, okay, you have my attention. I am not to familiar with the olds engine either. I'll be sure to quiz him good before taking it there. Besides asking him how familiar he is with olds motors, is there anything else I should ask?
Old January 14th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Rebuild on a 455 costs around $1200 here...heads pocket ported, crank turned, TRW pistons, rods balanced, new cam, etc. As always, your mileage may vary.

On your guy, ask for references...anybody he's rebuilt Olds engines for? If he says no, just nod and smile and move along.

Either way, go to www.oldsclub.org and look for your local (or closest) chapter. They can be a wealth of information on an "Olds man" your area. And joining OCA is some of the best money I've spent on my car.

C.J.