fuel system question

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2017, 05:46 PM

fuel system question

swapping to efi and i need a compatable tank for it preferably an in tank pump any ideas`

i was looking at a 1994 caprice 24 gallon tank with efi
Old March 11th, 2017, 09:24 PM

Chances are it wouldn't be a bolt in and go type of thing. I would think having your tank converted if its in good shape would be the way to go. Otherwise having a custom tank made would be the next best thing.
Old March 12th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Rodney

Vaporworx, and Rick's tank for EFI

SVNT442:
I've done alot of research to answer this question for my self for my '72 442 convertible project. My engine will be around 400HP/400TQ in a daily driver (no track time). I decided to install a FiTech throttle-body EFI system, but didn't want to run a return fuel line back to the tank or use the FiTech surge tank. I also wanted to take advantage of the FiTech fuel pump control circuit which will slow down the fuel pump at idle and low RPM to reduce pump noise and increase the lifespan of the pump (because you're not running it at full speed all the time).

I've read mixed reviews on the Tanks Inc set-up and other mods using the stock tank; complaints being fuel leaks, pump noise, poor fuel flow at low tank levels, loss of fuel flow in hard corning, etc. So after some web research, I found a guy who modifies an OEM fuel pump module from a 5th gen Camaro which is easily modified to run as a "dead-head" system (without a return fuel line). To support my power level he recommended an LS3 fuel pump module (AC Delco#M10237 or #M100080) and sells a bypass valve from a 4th gen Camaro to regulate the pressure to 58psi. His argument for the OEM GM parts is durability, longevity and easy access to replacement parts. He can also build fuel pump systems for large HP applications (which is really his specialty) using a higher output Camaro pump or the dual CTSv Cadillac fuel pump.

The biggest obstacle to this approach is the 5th gen Camaro pump has a larger mounting ring than the fuel level sensor ring in our existing tanks. Your options are to modify your existing tank by welding in a larger ring (be very careful you don't blow yourself up doing this, there is lots of info on the web about the correct way to prepare a tank for welding) or purchase a "restomod" tank that already has the larger mounting ring. I choose the latter for my system.

Here are some links:
https://www.vaporworx.com/

Carl Casanova <vaporworx@hotmail.com>

http://rickstanks.com/products/tanks/restomod/

Ricks Tanks 915.760.43.88

It's best to contact Carl at Vaporworx by email to figure out your application needs. His website does not clearly show which parts you need for the lower HP conversion that I chose for my car. If you don't want to DIY this yourself, you can also purchase the tank, fuel pump, 4th gen valve, and a fuel level sender from Rick's Tanks (already installed) ready to install in your car.
Hope this was helpful.

Rodney

Last edited by cdrod; March 12th, 2017 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old March 13th, 2017, 06:47 AM

Rodney, thanks for the link. That's a good option for someone considering EFI. I've read some poor reviews on the FiTech surge tanks.
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:38 AM

i measured the tank on my 72 delta 88 the tank is for a 73 but measures close to the caprice tank im trying to avoid have way doing it
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:12 AM

IMO Vaporworx or the Restomod is probably overkill for a street cruising 88. Unless you plan on autocrossing or track your car, Tanks Inc will suffice. The thing about the Caprice tank is that you will have to likely cut your trunk floor for the raised pump area. The Tanks Inc's issues I've seen were for cars under high lateral g's. Even then there are some people that don't have any issues, its hit or miss.
Old March 14th, 2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by csouth
IMO Vaporworx or the Restomod is probably overkill for a street cruising 88. Unless you plan on autocrossing or track your car, Tanks Inc will suffice. The thing about the Caprice tank is that you will have to likely cut your trunk floor for the raised pump area. The Tanks Inc's issues I've seen were for cars under high lateral g's. Even then there are some people that don't have any issues, its hit or miss.
looks like in just gonna install a return and run an inline pump
Old March 14th, 2017, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 72delta88
looks like in just gonna install a return and run an inline pump
Its not a bad idea. The Holley and FAST both offer external pumps in their "master" kits, so they must work well enough.
Old March 14th, 2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by csouth
Its not a bad idea. The Holley and FAST both offer external pumps in their "master" kits, so they must work well enough.

plus i can run a regualtor with my carb untill i go to efi