My 307 engine wont stay running NEEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2017, 12:45 PM

My 307 engine wont stay running NEEED HELP

I have a 1985 307 engine that just wont stay running just keeps shooting gas vapors from the carburetor turns on juat fine then boggs down and as it boggs down it shoots has vapof from the csrb about 3 puffs or so i am just desperate for some experienced help right now.

I had had the engine out of the vehicle to replace all of the gaskets on it i top to bottom and sent the heads to get resurfaced and a valce job done. Re installed evrything including a new timing chain kit everything else is all original i did not modify anything only deleted the air pump system.
I know it has to be something with the valve adjustment i just dont know shat else to do these oldsmobile engines dont adjust like chevys when you adjust the valve lash on them all it says to what i have researched and foud on my manual is to toraue the rocker arm bolts to 25ft lbs. Someone please help
It definately isnt the. Carburetor as i have tried 2 difrent spares i have and all of them and continues to do the exact same thing.

Last edited by 817eduardoflores; March 3rd, 2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, There are no adjustments on the valves, you just tighten them down. When you installed the timing set did you line the marks, crank gear @12 oclock and cam gear @ 6 with #1 at tdc? Do you still have the stock carb and distributor? Are you sure your firing order and timing is set correctly?
Old March 3rd, 2017, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site, There are no adjustments on the valves, you just tighten them down. When you installed the timing set did you line the marks, crank gear @12 oclock and cam gear @ 6 with #1 at tdc? Do you still have the stock carb and distributor? Are you sure your firing order and timing is set correctly?
Yes im pretty sure i beleice i still have pictures of the before timing set and after and exaxtly where i positioned them i will post it as soon as i get home and i will find a way to put a video of my problem

Yes the distributor is the same and carb are stock 4 barrel q jet. And the firing over i have honestly checked it numerous times the engine starts right up and if i give it gas and hold it a bit it will run strong but after a while of holding the rpm it will start boggin down and shooting vapor out from the carb and if i dont rev it a bit it will run. For about a minute on the very first start nice and smooth then again boggs down and vapor shoots out after that it will only run for a couple of seconds only. No flames shooting out just vaporized gas.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Sounds like you have float issue or trash in the needle valve, causing the carburetor to over fill. If you changed the fuel pump you may be putting more than 6# pressure.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 01:25 PM

Sounds like you have float issue or trash in the needle valve, causing the carburetor to over fill. If you changed the fuel pump you may be putting more than 6# pressure.
but even with 2 other carbs it does the same thing.
I will check the pressure as soon as i get home. Any other stuff i might need to check out?
And thanks for the help
Old March 3rd, 2017, 01:28 PM
Administrator

The firing order is CCW, double check everything and go from there. If all your settings are correct then I'd start looking at valve train, are all the stems the same height, any valves staying open, etc...
Old March 3rd, 2017, 01:36 PM

The firing order is CCW, double check everything and go from there. If all your settings are correct then I'd start looking at valve train, are all the stems the same height, any valves staying open, etc...
The stems do you reffer to the valve stems right would i have to remove the springa to measure them..and i did not notice any valves staying open. But i will definately chek that out this afternoon.
But first i will double check my firing order like you suggested and start from scratch.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 02:40 PM
Hookers under Hood

Can you hear it continue to dump fuel down the carb once you shut it off?

Eric
Old March 3rd, 2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by 817eduardoflores
The stems do you reffer to the valve stems right would i have to remove the springa to measure them..and i did not notice any valves staying open. But i will definately chek that out this afternoon.
But first i will double check my firing order like you suggested and start from scratch.
Originally Posted by 76olds
Can you hear it continue to dump fuel down the carb once you shut it off?

Eric
No i cant.. i have a mechanical fuel pump
Can anyone tell me how to upload a vid to this forum or a way to do a link so that i can give you guys a visual of what my problem
Old March 3rd, 2017, 03:06 PM
Hookers under Hood

Did you at any point turn the carb/s upside down? I'n any event, after you fire it up it sounds like you have a minute or so, just tap on the carb with a hammer and see if it continues running decent, past the point of where it would start to stumble etc, this will help set the needle back into place.
Do you still have the EGR hooked up?

Eric
Old March 3rd, 2017, 03:14 PM

Did you at any point turn the carb/s upside down? I'n any event, after you fire it up it sounds like you have a minute or so, just tap on the carb with a hammer and see if it continues running decent, past the point of where it would start to stumble etc, this will help set the needle back into place.
Do you still have the EGR hooked up?

Eric
No nkt this carb thatz on therw i sont recall honeatly.. at first i was leaning more towarda the csrb so i rebuilt mine and new seat new nneedle evrything and didnt solve my problem so now i have another csfb on there to eliminate thag it was the carb and still have the same problem this is the third carb i try and same thing i.a go ahead and tp on it anyways sdd if it makes a difrence im cutrently uploading a video to youtube and will post the link asap
Old March 3rd, 2017, 03:16 PM

No nkt this carb thatz on therw i sont recall honeatly.. at first i was leaning more towarda the csrb so i rebuilt mine and new seat new nneedle evrything and didnt solve my problem so now i have another csfb on there to eliminate thag it was the carb and still have the same problem this is the third carb i try and same thing i.a go ahead and tp on it anyways sdd if it makes a difrence im cutrently uploading a video to youtube and will post the link asap
Oh and yes i do have the egr on there hooked up
Old March 3rd, 2017, 03:26 PM
Hookers under Hood

A video will help, Hopefully Oldcutlass comes back on shortly, he has much more experience with this than I.
The only thing that comes to mind now is, you may try plugging the EGR line and see if it makes any difference.
I owned an 86 cutlass with similar issues years ago,
Sorry I couldn't be of more help
Old March 3rd, 2017, 03:32 PM

A video will help, Hopefully Oldcutlass comes back on shortly, he has much more experience with this than I.
The only thing that comes to mind now is, you may try plugging the EGR line and see if it makes any difference.
I owned an 86 cutlass with similar issues years ago,
Sorry I couldn't be of more help
Ive unhooked and hooked up the vacuum lines and still no difrence ive swapped MAP sensor as well on it with 2 others still no difrence. And thank you for taking the time and replying. Im currently trying to check the fuel pressure
Old March 3rd, 2017, 03:40 PM

I checked the pressure and im getting 6 psi
Old March 3rd, 2017, 03:44 PM
Hookers under Hood

I would go back and check your plug wires and timing as Oldcutlass mentioned, it really does sound like a carb issue, however, if you feel as thou you put the chain in correctly along with the distributor facing #1 will the correct plug wire locations then , these guys will need to chime in here.
(other) Eric??? Mdchanic ???
I hope you get it running smooth soon,
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; March 3rd, 2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Post a video so we can see what your seeing.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 03:48 PM

I checked the pressure and im getting 6 psi
Ive unhooked and hooked up the vacuum lines and still no difrence ive swapped MAP sensor as well on it with 2 others still no difrence. And thank you for taking the time and replying. Im currently trying to check the fuel pressure
Okay guys here is the link of the video hopefully it will give you guys a better ide of whats going on and on a note i at the beggining of the video when i first staty the engind i wasnt hitting the gas the engine just revs up and down on its own until it cuts off

Fuel pressure
Thanks again for all the help
Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:05 PM
Administrator

What is your timing set to?
Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:06 PM

Okay guys here is the link of the video hopefully it will give you guys a better ide of whats going on and on a note i at the beggining of the video when i first staty the engind i wasnt hitting the gas the engine just revs up and down on its own until it cuts off

https://youtu.be/JUrQTEo5knM

Fuel pressure
https://youtu.be/rCPCtQapTjw
I alologize for the video quality i just looked at it and noticed it lost its quality after uploading i will upload another one
Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:10 PM

What is your timing set to?
I dont have a timing light so all i did was just put my #1 cylinder on tdc and routed my plug cables
Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Try advancing your timing some and raise the idle. And wedge the choke butterfly open.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:15 PM

I dont have a timing light so all i did was just put my #1 cylinder on tdc and routed my plug cables
Okay i will do that looks like its going to have to be tomorrow morning that i continue messing with it.

Here is another video again i apologize for the quality it seems to loose it once uploaded but this video is better

Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:17 PM
Hookers under Hood

If you can take a pic of you distributor position post it here would help as well. I think Oldcutlass has nailed down your problem. I wouldn't continue trying to fire it up at all until then.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:22 PM

If you can take a pic of you distributor position post it here would help as well. I think Oldcutlass has nailed down your problem. I wouldn't continue trying to fire it up at all until then.
okay then ive ran out of time for today i will jump on it first thing in the morning and get back with you guys.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:59 PM
Hookers under Hood

Sounds good, your almost ther !! Post a pic of your distributor and we will have a look at the position its facing tomorrow and it should be good to go with a few small adjustments. I can see from the video's its not carb related, at this point anyway if you can pick up a vacuum gauge that would help as well.
Cheers
Eric
Old March 3rd, 2017, 05:05 PM

Sounds good, your almost ther !! Post a pic of your distributor and we will have a look at the position its facing tomorrow and it should be good to go with a few small adjustments. I can see from the video's its not carb related, at this point anyway if you can pick up a vacuum gauge that would help as well.
Cheers
Eric
Will do thanks guys for everything i have hope again
Old March 3rd, 2017, 05:07 PM
Hookers under Hood

https://youtu.be/JUrQTEo5knM

Fuel pressure
https://youtu.be/rCPCtQapTjw

I paused this video to where I could see the distributor,
The distributor location in this video looks to be to far advanced, what do you guys think?
I'm surprised it starts at all really.

Eric
Old March 3rd, 2017, 05:08 PM
Administrator

See if you can borrow a timing light and a tach. Looking at the video, it may also be your distributor is crapping out. It does not look to be fuel related since your pressure is under 6#'s and you've already tried 3 different carbs with the same result.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 05:40 PM

See if you can borrow a timing light and a tach. Looking at the video, it may also be your distributor is crapping out. It does not look to be fuel related since your pressure is under 6#'s and you've already tried 3 different carbs with the same result.
Okay well great thing i got a a whole spare 307 engine i will swap out the dist. And see if that helps and try to get a hold of the timing light if i can.and yes agree on the carb not being the problem or fuel. I will update you guys tomorrow
Old March 3rd, 2017, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Make sure your plug gap is .060, timing needs to be @ 15btdc, and idle needs to be at 550rpm in drive.
Old March 4th, 2017, 08:31 AM

Make sure your plug gap is .060, timing needs to be @ 15btdc, and idle needs to be at 550rpm in drive.
I will be updating you guys in the afternoon i had a couple things i need to take care of first then i will go and buy myself a timing light as well and get back and do the adjustments you guys suggested thanks.
Old March 4th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Administrator

If you are going to buy a timing light, get one that is adjustable (has a **** on the back or setting range display).
Old March 4th, 2017, 11:53 AM

If you are going to buy a timing light, get one that is adjustable (has a **** on the back or setting range display).
Ok i got my timing light...adjusted the gap and the timing at 15btdc before it shut off on me but now unfortunately it started raining on me hopefully the rain clears up later on so i can continue working on it. I will keep you guys posted as soon as i can start working on it again.
Old March 4th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=817eduardoflores;996342]Ok i got my timing light...

Put-r-ther, Your in good hands here with Oldcutlass. He will have you up and running after the rain. He always seems to find the time in his day to help here!! Looking forward to hearing from you again, post some pics of your car here after you get it running good!
Cheers
Eric
Old March 4th, 2017, 02:02 PM

[QUOTE=76olds;996357]
Ok i got my timing light...

Put-r-ther, Your in good hands here with Oldcutlass. He will have you up and running after the rain. He always seems to find the time in his day to help here!! Looking forward to hearing from you again, post some pics of your car here after you get it running good!
Cheers
Eric
You guys have been great im glad i joined here. The rain hasnt stopped but it slowed down for a quick minute giving me time to go out and attemp to run it this is now with my gap at .060 and 15btdc and still hasnt made any difrence.. always on the very first start up it runs for a good minute nice and smooth then cutss off again with the mist shooting up at the end then like in the video after the first run it doesnt stay runnig more than a second. I came back inside the house since the rain continued.
I will try posting pictures that i took of my engine i also redid the torque on the rocker arms earlier to reassure they are at 25ftlbs but again still no diffrence.
Old March 4th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Was the vacuum advance line disconnected and plugged when you set your timing? Did you ensure the choke butterfly on the top of the carburetor was wedged to stay fully open? Did you try and swap the distributor with the other one you have? The puff of vapor from the carb is caused by the engine shutting down, not the cause of the engine shutting down.
Old March 4th, 2017, 02:14 PM

Was the vacuum advance line disconnected and plugged when you set your timing? Did you ensure the choke butterfly on the top of the carburetor was wedged to stay fully open? Did you try and swap the distributor with the other one you have?
This one doesnt have vaccume advance. I triedd with the chocke wedged open still same symptons.
And no i havnt swapped out the distributer yet.
Old March 4th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Read this, you have an ECM there are some extra steps to set base timing. I thought the ECM thing started in 86.
http://performanceolds307.tripod.com/id4.html
Old March 4th, 2017, 02:46 PM

Is the exhaust system clear? I had a clogged cat once.

Quick Reply: My 307 engine wont stay running NEEED HELP