My 307 engine wont stay running NEEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2017, 06:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Coming into this thread late, and I have not read every post in detail, but everyone just STOP and look at the pictures. This car apparently has CCC and an electronic distributor, but it does NOT have the matching CCC carb. Without the throttle position sensor on the original carb, this will NEVER run right. Either get the correct carb or get a non-CCC distributor and ditch the computer.

Old March 7th, 2017, 06:06 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
This car apparently has CCC and an electronic distributor, but it does NOT have the matching CCC carb. Without the throttle position sensor on the original carb, this will NEVER run right. Either get the correct carb or get a non-CCC distributor and ditch the computer.
Well someone here clearly knows something about eighties emission control systems.

... And that someone ain't me.

That being said, Joe, would the CCC distributor with non-CCC carb be likely to cause the OP's problem of good start, about 45sec of smooth running, then 2-3sec degeneration and decisive stall?

- Eric
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Well someone here clearly knows something about eighties emission control systems.

... And that someone ain't me.

That being said, Joe, would the CCC distributor with non-CCC carb be likely to cause the OP's problem of good start, about 45sec of smooth running, then 2-3sec degeneration and decisive stall?

- Eric
No, probably not. That sounds more like a flooding issue (and ironically sounds exactly like the problem on my wife's 85 D88 that recently got a piece of plastic stuck in the needle). On my wife's car, with the air cleaner off, you could see the fuel coming out the holes around the secondary metering rods as the carb flooded out. If the OP has tried multiple carbs, I have a hard time seeing how this same issue could be the case on all three, but it isn't unheard of.

Not that this is fundamental to the problem, but is this a Canadian-spec car or an US-spec car?
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
No, probably not. That sounds more like a flooding issue (and ironically sounds exactly like the problem on my wife's 85 D88 that recently got a piece of plastic stuck in the needle). On my wife's car, with the air cleaner off, you could see the fuel coming out the holes around the secondary metering rods as the carb flooded out. If the OP has tried multiple carbs, I have a hard time seeing how this same issue could be the case on all three, but it isn't unheard of.

Not that this is fundamental to the problem, but is this a Canadian-spec car or an US-spec car?
Guys i found some problems 2 of my "NEW" wires had reall bad connection on the wire to the metal retainer that goes ontop of the spark plug. I swapped them out and the car stayed running for a good while now only that i could still hear dead spots so i definately got other defective wires It was too dark to keep on but definately ran now for atleast 5 minutes. I shut it off since i trashed the valve cover gaskets and oil was just puking out and smoking way too much.
Im swaping the ccc back in there and it definately should run now i will post a video of how it goes.

I have the ccc i swapped it out with this none ccc because this one had been recently rebuilt so i put it on the vehicle again so that i could rule out a bad carb
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 817eduardoflores
Guys i found some problems 2 of my "NEW" wires had reall bad connection on the wire to the metal retainer that goes ontop of the spark plug. I swapped them out and the car stayed running for a good while now only that i could still hear dead spots so i definately got other defective wires It was too dark to keep on but definately ran now for atleast 5 minutes. I shut it off since i trashed the valve cover gaskets and oil was just puking out and smoking way too much.
Im swaping the ccc back in there and it definately should run now i will post a video of how it goes.

I have the ccc i swapped it out with this none ccc because this one had been recently rebuilt so i put it on the vehicle again so that i could rule out a bad carb
Oh and U.S
Old March 7th, 2017, 03:37 PM

Oh and U.S
FOUND MY PROBLEM!!

The rooot of all my problem fellas this little bastard here.

Accidently touched it to ground heard something start clicking . Bolted it down to a ground and it purrs like a champ now
Old March 7th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Glad you got it. We all learned something with your thread.
Old March 7th, 2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Glad you got it. We all learned something with your thread.

Thanks to every single one of yall who took the time and helped me out i can't thank yall enough. I had completely given up on this engine before reaching out to classic oldsmobile.

I will definately find out where that wire is goin on my wiring diagram and posting it for anyone else who might have the same problem.
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Great!

Now the only question that remains is what the heck IS that wire?

- Eric
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Great!

Now the only question that remains is what the heck IS that wire?

- Eric
I dont know but if i can ill find out.. i cant beleive this thing gave me so much problems
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Those eighties emissions systems can be surprisingly difficult sometimes.

- Eric
Old April 25th, 2023, 04:35 AM

I dont know but if i can ill find out.. i cant beleive this thing gave me so much problems
Hey, im new to the forum, just made an account to see if you ever figured out what component that wire went to.
Im having the exact same issue on my 86 cadillac with the 307