What would you do.

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2017, 06:21 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

What would you do.

Ok so here is my dilemma . My current 355 has been a very reliable combination for the last 2 years. Putting on many street miles and 1/4 mile passes while gaining lower e/t's as i wring out every ounce of power i can from my combo. I have a 355 thats almost done. All i need is pushrods and port match the intake. But the more i think about it ., I really want to take the ported heads off and and put them on my current 355 thats in the car and build a turbo 355 with bbo heads and about 10 psi of boost.

The current goal is to put my current 355 as it sits into the low low 12's and i think we are on a straight shot to make it happen. shedding over 100 lbs , new fuel pump , and much needed looser stall with a so far best e/t of 12.45 i think we can do it.

I think we can achieve 11's with the ported heads on the same short block with a mechanical flat tappet cam and a custom tailored carb.

Should i finish the 355 on the stand or keep improving the one i have been running for a while which still has great oil psi and runs great. Im really liking the sound of a boosted EFI sbo. Sounds better than going to a BBO.
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:03 PM

I vote turbo
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:09 PM

my DD is boosted, I'd love to have a turbo olds.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:25 PM

Just need BBO heads and a cam the rest can be done on the cheap with the right parts . Young olds i know you did a boosted 350 I think. Care to share what you did. Not so much cam specs but what items where used for your plumbing setup etc etc.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 12:09 PM

I bought some reinforced silicone couplers with a 3" mandrel bent charge pipe to go from the turbo to the intake, no intercooler. currently im running stock manifolds and crossover pipe, the outlet on pa side manifold has a 2.5" pipe to turbo then 3" exhaust off turbo that splits to dual 2.25" exhaust. im running an extreme velocities hat with a 1" spacer welded to the bottom. tial 50mm blow off valve. oil feed is off port on front of block, return line goes straight to the pan. i have a standard pvc valve in one valve cover that acts as normal while cruising with a one way valve o hold boost back. other side is vented to intake side of turbo to allow filtered air into engine then in theory under boost the air flowing through should create a vacuum affect to pull air/pressure out off crank case, essentially taking over for pcv under boost. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-66-f85-3.html iirc it cost me about $1500, with meth injection, to turbo my already built and running engine. high cost items are turbo, a nice(tial) bov and meth injection everything else is relatively cheap. i did all the exhaust myself just paid for the pipe and went to a shop with a welder and a pipe bender on a sunday.

Last edited by young olds; February 3rd, 2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 12:14 PM

btw i wish we were closer, always wanted to run mine against yours. feel like our cars have been pretty comparable in the 1/4 mile.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 07:04 PM

Im not complaining about the driveablity of my olds but im going to guess your car probably drives alot like a stock set up compared to mine. I think if i can get my car into the 11's it would be about as borderline what i think many would want to deal with street behavior wise. I would like to run 11's and have it purrrr like a kitten. I love the lumpy sound of a big cam but i can run less converter , less gear , less of everything and have the same e/t with boost.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 07:11 PM

My 2 cents

Chassis Dyno tune the car then go run it again. I'll bet you find at least a 10th in tuning.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 07:34 PM

I would go that route if i was really desperate for that one tenth. I know where i can gain tenths but im dancing around things like keeping it a 3 series gear and I finally caved in and going to a 3200 stall. That will net a good gain , Since im in the process of redoing the body work i went ahead and planned a diet. I took the impact beams out of the doors after re skinning the doors , doing glass hood and deck lid .

Our first trip to the track will be to see how much we gain with the weight loss. that should be a little over a tenth. It will get a new fuel pump too.On the big end it drops big time and labors in the RPMs . So with those two things i should see some gains. Then the converter , ported heads , and solid lifter cam to further lower e/t . I think 12.0 is totally realistic

Im not complaing about my gains .Our first time out with this combo my best e/t was a 13.09. last time out was 12.45. I did alot of minor changes "tuning" I still have not really tapped into its full potential. I could do 4.33 gears and a 3400 stall but i still do alot of street driving and to me a 4.33 on the street is no fun.

I just have been wanting a turbo build for some time now and i think its time to pursue that route and have the best of all worlds.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 08:09 PM

So lets say you finish the 350 Olds on the stand that you're currently building...
How fast do you expect that to go?

Next question:
How fast do you really want go when all is said and done?

I think you'll want to go where the turbo will put you. But that's just my guess.
Get on it!
Old February 3rd, 2017, 08:40 PM

Well if i finished the 355 on the stand i think 11.80's on street trim would be the goal. I think we can just sneak into the 11's with the ported heads on my current short block with some work. If i built a turbo sbo i think the goal would be bottom 11's.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Im not complaining about the driveablity of my olds but im going to guess your car probably drives alot like a stock set up compared to mine. I think if i can get my car into the 11's it would be about as borderline what i think many would want to deal with street behavior wise. I would like to run 11's and have it purrrr like a kitten. I love the lumpy sound of a big cam but i can run less converter , less gear , less of everything and have the same e/t with boost.
I meant back when you were low 13's high 12's and I was na, I'd be sad if I lost with our current setups were matched, not that yours doesn't run hard. And yes I consider my engine very mild, it's my daily driver

Last edited by young olds; February 3rd, 2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old February 4th, 2017, 07:10 PM

What did it run at the track i remember you got it out.
Old February 5th, 2017, 07:10 AM

My vote is put the better heads on the engine in the car and change any corresponding parts aka camshaft, intake, carb while you're there. Then build the new engine into a turbo engine at your convenience as money lets you. I put my alternate on a toggle switch, turning it off as I staged. Every little bit helps.
Old February 5th, 2017, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Chassis Dyno tune the car then go run it again. I'll bet you find at least a 10th in tuning.

I second this! Amazing what you can learn about your car on a chassis dyno. The next best thing to full data logging on the track IMO and much cheaper. Show up at the dyno just like at the track w extra plugs, jets etc. Make a baseline and then any changes you make you can quantify the gains/losses.
Old February 5th, 2017, 05:35 PM

Im not serious enough to do dyno testing although i know its a very useful tool. Im yet to make a change i have not gotten a gain from. The plan at the moment is to still maximize what i have with the ported heads and cam. BUT i have a 355 thats ready to go besides the one in the car. Which i should finish but i think that short block will work better for my boosted build i think. I pretty much have a 355 thats ready to go in along with the one in the car and a spare th350. i got back ups and usually will tear into them for parts. The th350 i have as a back up i had built and then tore it apart to steel parts for it when my current th350 decided to loose 2nd gear due to a broke seal ring. i took the sealing ring from it along with the hd sprag unit from it then re rebuilt it with better parts. I tend to re rebuild things before they are even used sometimes.
Old February 6th, 2017, 03:53 PM

Go dyno

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Im not serious enough to do dyno testing although i know its a very useful tool. Im yet to make a change i have not gotten a gain from. The plan at the moment is to still maximize what i have with the ported heads and cam. BUT i have a 355 thats ready to go besides the one in the car. Which i should finish but i think that short block will work better for my boosted build i think. I pretty much have a 355 thats ready to go in along with the one in the car and a spare th350. i got back ups and usually will tear into them for parts. The th350 i have as a back up i had built and then tore it apart to steel parts for it when my current th350 decided to loose 2nd gear due to a broke seal ring. i took the sealing ring from it along with the hd sprag unit from it then re rebuilt it with better parts. I tend to re rebuild things before they are even used sometimes.
I can't think of someone who would benefit more from a dyno session than you. You are exceedingly serious about making your combination go faster. Take it from those of us who use the dyno often....spend the money.