Shoestring Budget 350

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2016, 06:01 PM

Shoestring Budget 350

In the near future I'll have a spare 350 to play around with and I've been contemplating using it for a wildcat swap with parts on hand. It's not a serious build, more for shiggles than anything else.

As it sits, it's a 68 350 2bbl. It's going to get a hone, rings, bearings, and gaskets. I figure I can port the heads since that's essentially free. A 4bbl intake and carb would be cheap enough if they're picked up used.

The two parts I haven't nailed down yet are-

1.) Pistons. As it sits it's got the low compression pistons. High compression would be great but it seems the only ones available are forged pieces, which can get pretty pricey. Are there any low dollar cast high compression ones available, or even anywhere to get used ones?

2.) Cam. Again low buck, so about the only thing I'd be looking at would be something like an RV cam. Would this still give a worthwhile gain, particularly with low compression pistons?

Beyond that if we're talking really crazy there's ample room in the engine bay and I've got a Holset HX50 lying around. Any idea how much boost it might take on pump gas? I know with cast pistons and a stock bottom end it's going to have to be pretty low, even more so if non-intercooled. And for the record I'm not a teenager who has played too much Forza and is browsing universal turbo kits on ebay.

Overall I don't have a power goal in mind, just curious to see what I can do with as few dollars as possible. It doesn't have to be a world beater, and as is should be relatively fun in such a light chassis.
Old December 30th, 2016, 11:33 PM

Low compression in this case is 9.0:1 so that's not bad, especially since you are talking about a conservative camshaft. You could zero deck the block, mill the heads, and use thin head gaskets to get more compression if that's in the budget (all or some of the above).
Old December 31st, 2016, 04:06 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

If the compression his decent, reuse your pistons and maybe use the early Vin 9 307 cam or smog 455 at minimum. The 204/214 RV cam is nothing special. There are no reasonably priced cast pistons that aren't huge dished ones.
Old January 4th, 2017, 08:56 AM

If you want, I have 2 used cams I could let go of cheaper than new:
I have a 204/214 edelbrock performer cam, no lifters
and a 214/224 engle (or something like it) same specs as a performer rpm (or performer plus? Whichever is a 214/224), this cam has all the lifters still, in a box numbered ready to go back in.
Old January 16th, 2017, 07:01 AM

Sounds like a cam might not be such a bad option after all.

Originally Posted by marcar1993
If you want, I have 2 used cams I could let go of cheaper than new:
I have a 204/214 edelbrock performer cam, no lifters
and a 214/224 engle (or something like it) same specs as a performer rpm (or performer plus? Whichever is a 214/224), this cam has all the lifters still, in a box numbered ready to go back in.

I might just take you up on that offer. Just have to kick the Mustang out of the garage first.

Any thoughts on boost levels? I'm thinking relatively low levels could be tolerable. To keep things on the cheap I was contemplating using the HX50 and an old Quadrajet I have kicking around I could use as a draw through, playing with the rods to try and get sufficient enrichment under boost. It could be like a Jetfire on steroids. Although truth be told I think we'll see how it pans out NA before trying to snake that crossover pipe through this particular chassis.
Old January 16th, 2017, 08:51 AM

I would suggest getting new cam bearings installed while the engine is tore down. That will help with better oil pressure and cam life. Read up on camshaft break in procedure. I installed a used 455 camshaft once with good results in a similar engine. Mine was from a 1968 455 4V 365 hp but I think pre 1971 455 cams are similar except the Toro, 442, SX. Jmo