Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Occasional Harsh Words one Member to Another

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2014, 05:35 PM

Smile Occasional Harsh Words one Member to Another

Harsh words !Perhaps the answer to keep this from happening ,would be for all of us to practice the words of an old sign that still hangs in a local parts store.It simply states "Be sure that brain is in gear,before putting mouth in motion." Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; January 13th, 2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Correction
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:37 PM

Some people (like me) just aren't good at social media. We know who we are
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:49 PM

Someone called me a chevy small block user once. Boy was I PO'd.
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:52 PM

Or as my mother used to say, If you dont have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Old School Olds

Treat others as you would
like to be treated. Simple
as that.
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:03 PM

On the other hand not being so easily offended helps too. Some people need to 'lighten up'!
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:13 PM

mmmmmurphy
I don't think I like the say you said that
how about we step outside....

:-)
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
mmmmmurphy
I don't think I like the say you said that
how about we step outside....

:-)
DONT MAKE ME COME OVER THERE !!!!!
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:02 PM

On the other hand not being so **** helps too.
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:05 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

This is a forum that almost anyone can join.
That means amongst the members are helpful, well informed people with a vast store of knowledge about Oldsmobiles and how to fix them, and ill informed ignorant blowhards who display their lack of manners and knowhow as well.
And people from all points between those extremes.
I think on the whole the forum works remarkably well, member to member spats are rare, we all have different opinions on a lot of things, including what's the best way to fix an Oldsmobile. But mainly common sense and politeness prevails.

Long may it continue.

Roger.
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Old School Olds

Well put Roger.
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

No to argue with you, Roger, but in the case of CO, we seem to be missing the ill-informed ignorant blowhards.

We certainly sport the occasional well-informed blowhard (RIP, Norm ), but there seems to be a paucity of the other variety, which is one of the reasons why this forum is so great.

- Eric
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:31 PM

I just have to state my opinion once. If someone chooses not to ignore it, I have learned to ignore theirs.
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Randy C.

I'm on a few car forums, but when it comes to passing great, detailed info, answering questions, and civility, this site is the best, in my opinion. I got so much help here when I restored my '68 over the course of about 3 years ('04-'07) and I am extremely thankful for this site's existence. Sure, I've seen a few nasty arguments here in the last 9 years or so, but the positive input and responses by members on this site by far outweigh the nasty responses that have occurred in the past. The vast majority of the people at this site, and the people who run it, should be proud that this site does so well overall. It is my "go to" site for anything Oldsmobile.

Randy C.
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:46 AM

Hope no one took it that I was knocking the CO site because it's the absolute best! I just think the sign posted in my original post is "good food for thought "for everyone to apply into everyday situations. Thanks. Larry
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:46 AM

It has a lot to do with ones ego and for others ego and potential business.
I have found the members very helpful and have learned a lot form members on this board.
Some times people have a bad day and read a comment as negative, when it was not meant to be so.
When people have different views you will have conflict, this is not bad as it can open ones eyes to look at things from a different perspective. I know I have changed my view on connecting rods, pistons, roller cams, and head porting because of members that have a lot more engine building experience and expertise. Not just from this site but from other Olds sites ROP,HPO,OP.

Last edited by Bernhard; January 15th, 2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:08 AM

A discussion about cars/engines is one thing as everyone has their own preference/opinions. The threads I don't like to see are the "political" ones. Some people are like a Conrad Dobler, they like to stir up controversy. I never bother replying because I learned along time ago, don't get into a braying contest with a jackass. I like this site and I feel it's the best Oldsmobile site. I hope it stays dedicated to Oldsmobiles and Olds people. Jmo, Ken
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Unfortunately, I've found that whether on-line or otherwise, some people go out of their way to find something to be offended about. I agree that folks in general need to grow a thicker skin. Life's too short to be worried about the words of an uneducated jerk.
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
the words of an uneducated jerk.
YOU'RE TALKING TO ME? TO ME?

Ha,

love you all!

Old January 14th, 2014, 05:15 PM

I agree I almost left this sight a year ago because of a couple of know it alls on here, they are knowledgeable but not always right. Not everyone lives in the same place or have the same driving requirements.
I know it's real easy to give a smart *** comment or reply or think every situation is chiseled in granite, I find it a real temptation but I "usually" try and restrain myself.

Last edited by jag1886; January 14th, 2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:18 PM
MOTORHEAD

Old January 14th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Overall this site is most respectful compared to others I associate with. I've witnessed a tremendous amount of generosity and thoughtfulness usually only found in families here. We have welcomed all sorts of people from around the world.

I am sometimes brutally honest, and I agree, no one is perfect we all make mistakes. However, I've always been able to admit it when I screw up and make amends. Being on this site since 09, I've seen it evolve tremendously and frankly I think it's going in the right direction. There are a lot of gals/guys here with a wealth of knowledge and I know I have learned a lot. There are a few personalities here with an unusual sense of humor, and/or opinions, but once you get to know them they really are great people.

My take on how the internet works is there is no way to know expressions from the written word. My wife can twist a negative meaning in whatever people say sometimes. My brother can walk up to you and say hello, and you want to tear his head off. So my advice is to take what you read with a grain of salt. Don't look for the negatives in a posting. And when your ready to post, reread as stated above and make sure your brain is in gear prior to hitting the post button.
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:45 PM

CO has many knowledgeable members.Sometimes with knowledge comes egos.Ive been here a couple years and find this site to be very well behaved and respectful for the most part. Hey but boys will be boys sometimes....and yeah words can easily be taken out of context on the net.If ya wanna learn this is the place. If ya want to learn plus some entertainment ROP is hard to beat.

Last edited by drjr56; January 14th, 2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:57 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unfortunately, I've found that whether on-line or otherwise, some people go out of their way to find something to be offended about. I agree that folks in general need to grow a thicker skin. Life's too short to be worried about the words of an uneducated jerk.
x10 on the thicker skin Joe...why sweat the small stuff. Too many real problems to deal with. I blog on several sites for the fun not to lock horns. Its to learn enjoy and hopefully pass along something to help someone out.
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:28 PM

On the other hand, some people put an inordinate amount of faith in a pecking order, as if the forum join date on your account or the number of posts you have ranks you over life experiences or knowledge in an area. That usually spills over into the "Oh, [respected person X] disagreed with [New Guy Y] on something, therefore I chose to dislike [Y] and trash everything he says from here on out" from other users. That, and people like to single out folks based on location, or information in a profile or such stuff for various ad hom reasons. (This is why all my info is empty; or I'm lazy...probably lazy.) This is not actually a gripe towards CO specifically, more of internet forums in general.

I'm a strong believer in intense, yet courteous discussion. I have no issue with being called wrong, show me where I am so, and I will learn, gratefully. But, if people are disrespectful and rude, it poisons the atmosphere for others, so just "having a thicker skin" may help the individual occurrence, but may not help prevent it in the future.
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
My, those are some angry young men.

Seriously tho, I Admin a LOT of sites, and this one is by far the nicest group of users. Just goes to prove the old adage "You meet the nicest people in an Oldsmobile."
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:47 PM

There is a lot of good information on this thread and on this site in general. All electronic media, email, social media and forums such as this, suffer from the same problem.......there is no voice deflection or facial expression to go along with the words. You have to be careful with the delivery because what you are saying may not be the way it is interpreted. NOW YOU GUYS GET OVER IT
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:42 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Overall this site is most respectful compared to others I associate with. I've witnessed a tremendous amount of generosity and thoughtfulness usually only found in families here. We have welcomed all sorts of people from around the world.

I am sometimes brutally honest, and I agree, no one is perfect we all make mistakes. However, I've always been able to admit it when I screw up and make amends. Being on this site since 09, I've seen it evolve tremendously and frankly I think it's going in the right direction. There are a lot of gals/guys here with a wealth of knowledge and I know I have learned a lot. There are a few personalities here with an unusual sense of humor, and/or opinions, but once you get to know them they really are great people.

My take on how the internet works is there is no way to know expressions from the written word. My wife can twist a negative meaning in whatever people say sometimes. My brother can walk up to you and say hello, and you want to tear his head off. So my advice is to take what you read with a grain of salt. Don't look for the negatives in a posting. And when your ready to post, reread as stated above and make sure your brain is in gear prior to hitting the post button.

Advice I need to follow sometimes lol
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:55 AM

I learned along time ago. What someone's opinion of me is none of my business.
Old January 16th, 2014, 07:36 AM

All this over a six pack.
Old January 16th, 2014, 04:47 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by Omicron
My, those are some angry young men.

Seriously tho, I Admin a LOT of sites, and this one is by far the nicest group of users. Just goes to prove the old adage "You meet the nicest people in an Oldsmobile."
Thank god 4 car guys like you