Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

How about a G-Body Forum ( 78-88 )

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2012, 06:21 AM

How about a G-Body Forum ( 78-88 )

I know ther are other sites for the g-body olds but more sources of information and help can't hurt. Thanks for your consideration. Mark
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:36 AM

A Body 78-81
G Body 82-88

The "forgotten" Oldsmobiles
Old December 26th, 2012, 12:59 PM

oldsgmail.com is one good source of info, but their 'forum' is an old fashioned mailing list.
Old December 26th, 2012, 01:17 PM

Unhappy

gbodyforum.com is a good site if you can get passed the ls obsessed chevy guys
Old December 26th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by radioburningchrome
A Body 78-81
G Body 82-88

The "forgotten" Oldsmobiles
Seriously?

Try getting parts for a 73-77 A-body, or a 61-63 F-85, or any full size Olds.
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:09 AM

I'm already on gbodyforum.com .. but noticed there are a few people here that aren't there. Just a thought Mark
Old December 27th, 2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Seriously?

Try getting parts for a 73-77 A-body, or a 61-63 F-85, or any full size Olds.

No offense Joe!

It was close to impossible to get parts for my 1965 Delta 88. I can only imagine 61-63 F85.
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:39 PM
car guy

Maliburacing.com is all 78-88 A/G body
Old December 28th, 2012, 03:50 AM

thanks gearhead78 I'll check it out, as for the older olds that must be terrible not to be able to find parts but just shows how much you care for those cars that you keep going.
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Past Administrator

We have had some requests in the past to re-structure the site and spent quite a bit of time last year on it. I think most people are happy enough with the way it is now. We realize that we can't satisfy everyone's preferences and aren't going to change the site now with more sub-forums. Some already feel it is too complex as it is. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:32 PM

I really enjoy the site, it was just a thought.
Old December 1st, 2014, 01:27 PM
www.gbodyolds.com

www.gbodyolds.com

Started this site to keep all the information I can find about G-bodies in one place.
Never really intended on it being a hangout, just information, which I like.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 01:11 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Gbodyforum.com has plenty to offer Cutlass fans, it's hardly surprising the Chevy ls is popular, plenty of G bodies had a Chevy engine under the hood when they left the factory, but the Cutlass was a top seller in its day, and it comes a respectable second behind Chevy.
It also allows a lot more political and other off car topics than here, you can make arguments for and against this, but there is a big pool of knowledge and expertise to help you. Filter out the Chevy guys and enjoy.
It's one of the better forums imo, I still browse it although I sold my G Bodies years ago.

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; December 5th, 2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 03:48 PM

FYI 78-88 G body forum

Have you ever been here?

http://www.78-88olds.com/forum/
Old December 3rd, 2014, 01:02 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Have you ever been here?

http://www.78-88olds.com/forum/
I've had a look, not a very busy forum. I don't mean that in a bad or good way, just an observation.

Roger.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 02:46 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

How can you square having a G-body forum with the name of the site being ClassicOldsmobile?

- Eric
Old December 3rd, 2014, 03:18 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by MDchanic
How can you square having a G-body forum with the name of the site being ClassicOldsmobile?

- Eric
I would call it evolution. The name was created years ago and the forum has simply evolved. Classic means different things to different people. Don't want to get a big discussion started where people get offended so I am not even going to try to define what a Classic Oldsmobile would be now.......
Old December 3rd, 2014, 03:42 PM

G body forum thread

Originally Posted by hajnovak
I know ther are other sites for the g-body olds but more sources of information and help can't hurt. Thanks for your consideration. Mark
A few years back I thought the fat-fendered Oldsmobiles weren't prominent enough under the heading "Vintage" since that apparently covered everything from curved dash 1900s up to about 1964-65. In no small part it was due to the fact I wasn't finding much info on my 47 Olds. The leadership at CO said NO for a lot of the same reasons I see recited here.

Well it is their forum since they have stepped up and assumed the work and responsibility of running the site and I respect that.

Nevertheless I determined to dig up all othe 40s Olds owners that I could find and initiated the thread "46-48 Olds How Many Have Them". under the Vintage Olds sub forum. We now have pretty good representation with probably around 30-40 people who have contributed to the thread including people from Europe and S. America. It has become sort of a de-facto sub-sub forum with tech help, parts finding etc. in our little corner of CO. Maybe its possible a mega-thread on G bodies could be established within an established forum?
Just my two cents worth.
Jerry
Old December 4th, 2014, 03:47 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

- Eric
When I joined I told all who cared to read my introductory post that I had an '87 H Body. I was still welcomed and have had a little fun with you, Eric, as well as addressing more serious topics regarding Oldsmobiles..
I also had two G Bodies, one was a Cutlass wagon that I regret ever selling. Before them I also owned a '78 Delta 88, and a '78 98 Regency. Of the ten American vehicles I've owned four have been Oldsmobiles, clearly there is something about them I like.
G bodies are getting thin on the ground now, many have been lowridered or demolition derbied, which may have given them a bad name. But they were among the last body on frame, rwd with a V8 under the hood, cars to be sold in North America.
When did 1950's Oldsmobiles start becoming classics?, or cars from the following decades?.
I think one thing G Bodies certainly have in their favor is that they are affordable, easy to look after examples of the traditional American Car.

Roger.
Old December 4th, 2014, 05:42 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yes, but driving a G-body on English streets is kind of like bringing an Destroyer to a sailing regatta, isn't it? I mean, as far as all the Polo drivers are concerned, your number plates read "HMS Dreadnought" whether you're driving a G-body or a C-body.

Originally Posted by rustyroger
When did 1950's Oldsmobiles start becoming classics?
Never, as far as I'm concerned. But I've had this discussion here before, at least twice, and I'll stop now, before I get banned.

- Eric
Old December 5th, 2014, 01:04 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Yes, but driving a G-body on English streets is kind of like bringing an Destroyer to a sailing regatta, isn't it? I mean, as far as all the Polo drivers are concerned, your number plates read "HMS Dreadnought" whether you're driving a G-body or a C-body.- Eric
Not so Eric. There are plenty of 4x4 SUVs "Chelsea Tractors", People Carriers and big Mercedes and BMWs that match a G Body in dimensions. One ton commercial vehicles driven by "White Van Man" are ubiquitous here. My wife's Peugeot wagon is taller than my H Bodies.
Plus we have plenty of trucks on our roads, not as big as the rigs I have seen on American highways perhaps but big anyway. A lot of them, particularly near where I live are lhd with European drivers.

We have got used to sharing our overcrowded roads with bigger vehicles, more like MTB's alongside Frigates and Carriers. Sure, they are much smaller, but the pilots are used to dealing with them.

Roger.
Old December 5th, 2014, 02:46 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ah. It's been a "few" years since I've spent any time "over there."

The last time, three-wheeled commercial vehicles were still common.

- Eric
Old December 6th, 2014, 03:51 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Ah. It's been a "few" years since I've spent any time "over there."

The last time, three-wheeled commercial vehicles were still common.

- Eric
I didn't realise you are so old Eric!

Scammel Scarab three wheeled lorries (Trucks to you North Americans) were ubiquitous in railway goods depots throughout Britain up to the early '70s.
They were ideal for turning and shunting in the narrow confines of goods yards, and for hauling trailers through the narrow streets around stations.
Our rail infrastucture was developed during the era of horse drawn traffic, and railway (not railroad, that's an Americanism) stations were built in or near towns and cities that had been around for possibly hundreds of years.
It wasn't until the '70s that most freight went by road instead of rail over here.

Roger.
Old December 6th, 2014, 04:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by rustyroger
It wasn't until the '70s that most freight went by road instead of rail over here.
Not to mention spinster detectives, spies, criminals, and various sorts of nobles.

Seems to me that, from the perspective of the US moviegoer in the thirties, forties, fifties, sixties, and even seventies, nothing could happen in the UK without a train being involved, and one with a lot of individual doors, at that.

- Eric
Old December 6th, 2014, 04:37 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Not to mention spinster detectives, spies, criminals, and various sorts of nobles.

Seems to me that, from the perspective of the US moviegoer in the thirties, forties, fifties, sixties, and even seventies, nothing could happen in the UK without a train being involved, and one with a lot of individual doors, at that.

- Eric
In the former Soviet Union or India rail was the only form of long distance travel available for any but the rich.
When I was at school in the '60s half the class I was in were carless families.

Roger.