Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Vehicle lineup forum

Old December 16th, 2012, 08:23 PM

Vehicle lineup forum

I notice some of the categories have sub-categories you can click and go directly to, for example, 88s, or 98s and so forth. However the Vintage Olds category has no sub categories with their own links.

Several people seem repeatedly to post on mid-50s Oldsmobiles in the vintage section and that is fine by me as I enjoy reading about them but there is also a section under large Oldsmobiles for 88s 98s etc. It seems to me that must scatter information about 88s, for example, across multiple forums. It must make searches more difficult.

Several post on the 40s Oldsmobile threads.

Could we please try out Vintage subcategories with their own link like pre-1930, 1930-40, 41-48? I'm certainly no Olds authority and would hardly rank as a knowing amateur but it seems to me that after 1950 or so Olds had sorted itself into 88s and 98s for the next couple of decades.
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Past Administrator

We used to have more sub-categories and made a change to the existing format about a year ago. There doesn't seem to be a 'best situation' when it comes to organizing a site because when we had it that way a lot of people felt there were way to many sub-forums and sections; some even still feel so with the setup we have now. We decided that if anyone wanted to read about mid forties 88's for example then they could use the search engine and read the titles of the suggested threads that way. There just isn't a win-wind solution it seems. By the way, I used to own an car similar to yours and citcapp still does. Good luck in your searches.
Old December 17th, 2012, 05:42 AM

I have always questioned some of the sub forums also. Most of the questions or discussions concerning my 72 Cutlass Supreme convertible could be answered or discussed on any of the Cutlass, 442 or Hurst Olds sub forum. Do the 442 or Hurst guys read my questions? They probably have the answers, because the issue is much more A body than specific model or option package.
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
We decided that if anyone wanted to read about mid forties 88's
That would be a good trick as there weren't any 88s until 1949!

Getting back to the OP's suggestion, it might be worth putting in a separate sub-forum entitled "pre-1949 Oldsmobiles" or something like that. I think Oldsguy's point is well-taken, too. Put a separate forum for 1920s Oldsmobiles, 1930s, etc. and each one might get two posts a year. There just aren't that many cars from the pre-war years compared to later years. A single forum could encompass them all but keep them separate from the modern V-8 era.
Old December 17th, 2012, 08:55 AM

Smile Re. CO Site Organization

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
We used to have more sub-categories and made a change to the existing format about a year ago. There doesn't seem to be a 'best situation' when it comes to organizing a site because when we had it that way a lot of people felt there were way to many sub-forums and sections; some even still feel so with the setup we have now. We decided that if anyone wanted to read about mid forties 88's for example then they could use the search engine and read the titles of the suggested threads that way. There just isn't a win-wind solution it seems. By the way, I used to own an car similar to yours and citcapp still does. Good luck in your searches.
After reading your post I can see it is a tough job trying to please all the members all the time. It probably helps to be a masochist to run CO.

There has been an admittedly small group of about 20 or more who have sort of coalesced under the thread "46-48 How Many Got them" inside the Vintage Oldsmobile forum. There is quite a bit of collective knowledge both in restoring and rodding including citcapp, in this group.

I'm looking for a way to keep it more prominent as the thread comes to life and then goes semi dormant and then comes back etc. The thread is getting buried under new thread stuff about 30s Oldsmobiles and 49-57 or so Oldsmobiles. I've saved those who have contributed to the thread as contacts but lack a way to communicate with all contacts simultaneously. I think some of the contributors would come back and be more active if our collective interest in 41-48 Oldsmobiles were somehow more permanent and more prominent. Any suggestions? Anyone?
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by jaunty75
That would be a good trick as there weren't any 88s until 1949! .
I knew that......
brain fart.
Old December 17th, 2012, 05:44 PM

Lets try a sub-group of "Pre-49" under Vintage in car lineup

I expressed a need months ago to be able to identify members by year, model of car and location. I wanted to be able to sort out 41-48s and their owners by at least location. At that time I asked about organizing the site as a relatable database and was told it couldn't be done within the site architecture. OK. I can understand those limitations on a free site.

This time I asked about getting a separate clickable link to 41-48 Oldsmobiles under the Vintage category. Seems like all it would require is taking the one "41-48 who owns them" thread and putting it under a clickable link titled 41-48 Oldsmobiles within Vintage. I thought it would be a much simpler request to address since members and threads would self-assign and no database type linking would be involved.

I saw the suggestion for a "Pre-49" sub group under Vintage and think that would be very acceptable as a trial sort of thing. Half a loaf is better than none-at-all.

I gotta admit though it is beyond me why anyone would care if a forum that didn't involve their car model/year had two threads or two thousand.
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll suggest that we have too many sub categories already. For example, the line between Cutlass and 442 is nebulous and most posts in those forums could apply to either. First gen Starfires are just another full size Olds, but the H-body Starfires are completely different. And why lump Vista Cruisers with Custom Cruisers (and technically Firenza wagons also)?
Old December 21st, 2012, 05:01 AM
Past Administrator

See? Can't fit everyone. And Joe, no insult or dis-service intended toward you but you just made the point. Thanks.
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:21 PM

Any other options?

I know I am reopening a (Pretty much) closed thread, But?
Would it be possible to make some kind of searchable, data base, or other form of information (spreadsheet) to see what other members have the same vehicle as you have? Or type of vehicle your seeking information on?

Even if it is optional for members to enter their own information, it would give new and old members some kind of idea who might be able to assist them. (Not looking for one person to collect and enter all the info).

Depending on how many members entered their own information, would be the key to success or or failure of this type of plan.

Looking at the the area discussed earlier in this thread there are some models that are not listed. My car is a 65 Jetstar 1. I would be interested in knowing who else has one.

As an example the map that was put up of members under the new user forum is great. I can't remember who set it up. I will go look when I am done. But with so many members, I am sure someone here would know how to accomplish a vehicle type to user data base of some kind.

Just a thought.

Carl
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Carl, there are a lot of active members on this forum, there are a lot more that are not. As you search, read, and monitor both yours and others inactive/ active threads, you will quickly learn which members you can go to. Since most questions that arise lately, outside of performance issues, are basically repeats or variations of questions asked over the past however many years that particular car, model, engine, trans... has existed.
Old March 29th, 2013, 05:19 PM

There is no point in trying to get a relational data base configured out of the present architecture of CO.com. It just isn't built that way. I suspect whomever hosts the site is not particularly interested in buying new software that would enable a relational data base.

Suggesting a forum sub category for your car is something of a no-no as I found out. I accepted the wisdom of those who have been on the site longer than myself and didn't push it. Wouldn't have gotten anywhere and would have needlessly irritated some.

I found the best alternative is to hang out in the forum most suited to your car, search past messages and put in an inquiry as I did on Vintage Oldsmobiles re. how many own a certain year(s) and model Oldsmobile. It takes a while to get responses but in the case of the 46-48 Oldsmobiles thread we now have around 30 people who have checked into the original thread and remain active....well, semi active. The thread serves as a defacto sub-forum for people with similar cars to gather. None of those who maintain/alter the site have to do anything to accommodate our small group. Everybody seems OK with it. Sometimes the thread is active and then sometimes it sort of dies down for several days but I think most 46-48 owners check the thread from time to time to see if there is anything new. Anyone who checks in (subscribes?) to the thread I add to my contacts list on this site. Hope that is helpful.
Jerry