Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Chebby swaps into Oldsmobile's

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2012, 06:04 PM

Chebby swaps into Oldsmobile's

I see my reply in the transmission forum was deleted, it was in response to the question of how to get the TCC working after the guy swapped a sbc into a 442. I have no desire to see that crap here. There are plenty of chebby site for this garbage, why do we have to have it here? I hate seeing chebby swaps at car shows, drag strips, or car magazines. OldsPower has a no chebby swap rule, we need one here! End of rant.
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Why bash other peoples cars! Mine is a chebby swap, and I didn't build it to please you! I think you ought to show some restraint and build yours the way you like it!
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:59 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I see my reply in the transmission forum was deleted, it was in response to the question of how to get the TCC working after the guy swapped a sbc into a 442. I have no desire to see that crap here. There are plenty of chebby site for this garbage, why do we have to have it here? I hate seeing chebby swaps at car shows, drag strips, or car magazines. OldsPower has a no chebby swap rule, we need one here! End of rant.
I deleted your post but I also edited his so there was no mention of the SBC swap. There is one section and one section only to discuss non Olds powered Oldsmobiles on this site. Its the non-olds powered section at the bottom.
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Why bash other peoples cars! Mine is a chebby swap, and I didn't build it to please you! I think you ought to show some restraint and build yours the way you like it!
Amen brutha, to each his own...
Old July 18th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Banned

Then please, go back to OldsPower.

I have no desire to see you force your opinion on others or bitch about when someone talks about having a Chevy in their Oldsmobile. Oldsmobile's were built with Chevy engines in them, Buick engines as well, so with your mentality, you should hate Oldsmobile in general. Who cares whats under the hood, an Oldsmobile is an Oldsmobile.
Old July 18th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I deleted your post but I also edited his so there was no mention of the SBC swap. There is one section and one section only to discuss non Olds powered Oldsmobiles on this site. Its the non-olds powered section at the bottom.
Dang, snap that whip.
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think I will go put a small block Ford in my Cutlass and get everybody on here mad at me. Then I will put some 24's on it and fill the trunk and back seat with a big booming stereo. Okay guys, I am just stirring the pot here.
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Okay guys, I am just stirring the pot here.
I'm pretty sure most of us know you well enough by now Glenn to know you weren't serious...... BTW, you gotta know by now it's 26's that get attention - not 24's
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:22 PM

OldsPower has a no chebby swap rule, we need one here!

It can come directly after the implementation of a no bitching rule. From the sounds of it, another member had a problem, but instead of helping him out you chose to tear into him about his car. THAT is what we don't need at this site. I hope this thread gets deleted.
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:02 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by SBORule
Dang, snap that whip.
LOL There is nothing that brings more heated discusions than this subject. A couple years ago it was decided as a compromise to create a non -olds powered section that was a safe place to talk about engine swaps ect without being dog piled.
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass

I'm glad you didn't build it to please me. With a big block chevy I'm disappointed.

I'm not bashing other peoples cars. I don't want to read about chevy powered Oldsmobile's on a Olds forum. My point is the are plenty of chevy themed forums, magazines and machine shops that specialize in chevy stuff.
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by SBORule
Then please, go back to OldsPower.

I have no desire to see you force your opinion on others or bitch about when someone talks about having a Chevy in their Oldsmobile. Oldsmobile's were built with Chevy engines in them, Buick engines as well, so with your mentality, you should hate Oldsmobile in general. Who cares whats under the hood, an Oldsmobile is an Oldsmobile.

I'm a member of any Olds forum I can find. Oldspower is my favorite, however, most members own G body Oldsmobile's. I joined ClassicOlds because it seems to cater more to the older cars.

Maybe you forgot about the huge class action lawsuits filed against GM for the chevy engine swap when Olds couldn't build enough Olds engines to keep up with demand. And If I ordered a car with a V6, then I knew I would be buying a BUICK engine.

I despise the chevy swaps because most of them are hack jobs. Most people know what I'm talking about, wiring cobbled together, batteries held in with bungee cords or ratchet straps, crap like that. Or the "chevy is cheaper mentality", the engines are cheaper to build, no arguments. Its all the extra crap that is needed to do the swap correctly that the chevy minded people seem to forget.
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
LOL There is nothing that brings more heated discusions than this subject. A couple years ago it was decided as a compromise to create a non -olds powered section that was a safe place to talk about engine swaps ect without being dog piled.
I must have missed that section of the forum (not that I would ever look for it).
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Administrator

I despise the chevy swaps because most of them are hack jobs. Most people know what I'm talking about, wiring cobbled together, batteries held in with bungee cords or ratchet straps, crap like that. Or the "chevy is cheaper mentality", the engines are cheaper to build, no arguments. Its all the extra crap that is needed to do the swap correctly that the chevy minded people seem to forget.
Apparently you don't know how easy it is to swap one, as an "A" body is an "A" body. No bungy cords, no hacked up wiring, no ethiopian engineering. Electrically nor mechanically it is not a big deal. They are not cheaper to build, just more availability to parts.

I understand and respect your opinion, and I expect you to respect mine. There is no reason to bash, just skip over it, if it does not interest you!

Last edited by oldcutlass; July 19th, 2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old July 19th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Oldsdruid

It may be easy to swap one into certain bodies, but agreed with Matt that vast majority of them you see are backyard hack jobs done by people who simply do not care what they are doing or how the end result turns out.

Taking a little pride in your work makes Chevy-into-whatever bastardizations easier to digest, but the biggest thing such a swap tells me is that whoever did it has no imagination and a herd mentality, likes to take the cheap and easy way out, and is too lazy or stupid to learn how to build anything but a Chevy.

And I too get damned tired of hearing about stuffing a Chevy lump into any other make of car, no matter the justification or excuse.
Old July 19th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

This turns into just the latest rant and rave session about this subject. Chevy engines are great engines. Otherwise why did they make a zillion of them. I am not going to get into the merits of chevy vs. olds which are great engines. It comes down to "your car, your money". I hope they close this thread soon. Nothing good will come from it. Time to shut the ****** down.
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:02 AM
"me somebody" site member

This thread is like Fred Berry.
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
wait Fred Berry the hocky player ? Fred Berry the football player or Fred Berry the iconic rerun character from whats happening ??
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:35 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Old July 19th, 2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
It may be easy to swap one into certain bodies, but agreed with Matt that vast majority of them you see are backyard hack jobs done by people who simply do not care what they are doing or how the end result turns out.

Taking a little pride in your work makes Chevy-into-whatever bastardizations easier to digest, but the biggest thing such a swap tells me is that whoever did it has no imagination and a herd mentality, likes to take the cheap and easy way out, and is too lazy or stupid to learn how to build anything but a Chevy.

And I too get damned tired of hearing about stuffing a Chevy lump into any other make of car, no matter the justification or excuse.

Thank you! Finally, somebody who gets my point.

I'm well aware of the fact that A bodies are basically the same under the sheet metal (as are G bodies, or B bodies, etc). I have been involved with building cars since before I had a license, I have several friends who are fans of "Brand X" cars, some of them are chevys, with chevy drive trains. I help work on them, race them, maintain them without complaint. I don't dislike chevys, I just don't care to drive "belly-button cars".

Am I the only one in readerland that is burned out on the "LS swap into whatever" flavor of the month mentality?

End of rant (for now).
Old July 19th, 2012, 03:49 PM
CQR

Where is the line? Is it just as horrible for someone to install a q-jet that actually came off a caprice? If not, Why not? How about putting torque thrusts on? Matt you have a 100 point car? If not- Shame on you! IMO I think you should put your big girl panties on, and allow people to enjoy their cars as they wish. Otherwise buck up and pay them their asking price to keep them from 'bastardizing' their car.

From someone who installed a buick trans in my Olds. *GASP*
Old July 19th, 2012, 04:05 PM

Where I agree with not putting a Chevy in an Olds, these thread get out of hand really quick.

This one is not!