Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Performance Section

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:42 PM

and whats under your hood?
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
and whats under your hood?
It plainly says whats under my hood in my sig!! Whats your point??
Old March 3rd, 2012, 05:37 PM

It means you put what you want under your hood . I will post what I want! Im all for a performance section but wont we get the same info from the same people ?

Last edited by firefrost gold; March 3rd, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 05:56 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Geez guys lighten up chebby powered olds. Olds powered ******, chevy powered fords the list can go on. Wether its a chevy in an olds or vise versa it has olds in it so it can apply imo. Granted we are here for olds performance questions . I don't think we should give the chevy guys crap.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:08 PM

If this section is added, it will be all Olds related. The non Olds-powered topics will still be carried on in the non-Olds powered section.

I will post what I want!
You may, as they follow all of the rules of the forum....
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Geez guys lighten up chebby powered olds. Olds powered ******, chevy powered fords the list can go on. Wether its a chevy in an olds or vise versa it has olds in it so it can apply imo. Granted we are here for olds performance questions . I don't think we should give the chevy guys crap.
Not giving crap it was meant as complement to the bow tie. The 454 that the new horse power build will in their words be over 600hp , new, light . old cutlass can get more heads from one manufacture than olds buyers can get period .
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:30 PM

Joesw31...Thanks....I'll try to check more often.

Sicky...I am still thrashing to get my stuff back together, the good racing weather is here..have not forgot about your cars.

firefrost gold...I bought my 70 Drag car from Mn...Olds under the hood

Danny
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:43 PM

what year did you get it was it a drag car then as it is now? by the way I like the hidden texas in your collage.

Last edited by firefrost gold; March 3rd, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM

A year ago last month...Dave Engle's old red 442...Mondello/Knowlton head 482. Solid Roller..Girdled bottom end, SpraglessT-400 with Break..Fab Ford 9" with 4.88 and a spare set 4.30..Headers By Ed 2" to 2 1/8" into 4" collectors.

Dave ran the car in Real Street..his best was a 9.47..I had limited seat time in it last year but hope to get on the track this Spring and learn the car. my 9.95 was a low RPM launch ..low shift point..first pass in the car to " shake " it down...

My 70 Post W-30 I have owned and been racing for 11 years now. Started out in the 13's and kept on building and working to get to the low 10's...love racing these old cars and hearing the comments from folks.
Thanks

Danny
Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:20 PM

nice . is the other car you have all gutted and tubbed or is it more sleeper.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:49 PM

Thanks...and can't take credit for my Sig pic with the Texas...Big Jerr on ROP made that for me.

Actually both cars still have full interiors. Racing front seats , but all door panels and back seats..the 9-sec car even has Power Windows and the Driver and Pass STILL WORK !!! LOL The W-30 has 8-point Roll Bar and the 9-sec car a multi point Cage with 8.50 Cert.

No Tubs on either...I run 275 Drag Radials on the W-30 and 29.5 x 10.5 M/T Slicks on the other. The inside of the frame at the rear tire area has been sectioned and narrowed to help fit the tires.

I had the W-30 at the Houston Autorama in Nov. 2010 and was parked behind joesw31..his car is BEAUTIFUL!!! Mine looked okay for a race car

ah64 pilot...give me a heads up next time ya'll plan to hit Baytown or Sealy and race...I'll bring one of the " Twins ".

Danny
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Not giving crap it was meant as complement to the bow tie. The 454 that the new horse power build will in their words be over 600hp , new, light . old cutlass can get more heads from one manufacture than olds buyers can get period .
At 54 years old, my skin is pretty thick, all I wanted was clarification.

If you have read all my previous posts I support any direction someone takes with their ride!! Performance is performance no matter where it is found. I'm an old school hotrod guy, I like new tech as well as old iron! I have not spent much time on track in the past 20 years, but I do plan to do so in the near future.

Budget is a big problem for most of us! In my little part of the world, there is an ample supply and I mean ample supply of inexpensive BBC parts! My intent was to drive and enjoy the car instead of dry docking it in a field!

Someday when I get current Financial liabilities out of the way, mainly getting the boy through college. I may consider putting an Olds motor back in. Would not be that hard to convert it back as it is a simple bolt in!

A performance olds section would create a wealth of info in one place! I like to learn from others successes as well as failures.

Most of the non-olds powered is geared towards performance already, and is a great place for me and my funny looking Chevelle to strut our stuff!
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Sooooooo, are we going to do a performance section?? The general consensus warrants it.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:27 AM

Its being discussed and considered, so is consolidation of sub-forums
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Past Administrator

We are going to look into this. Stay tuned.
Old March 6th, 2012, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 70Wcars
ah64 pilot...give me a heads up next time ya'll plan to hit Baytown or Sealy and race...I'll bring one of the " Twins ".

Danny
Definitely...RobbMc pickup was shipped today so my fuel system should be here soon. I'd like to make it to the April 27th BOP shootout in San Antonio...Sickyolds told me about it I'm just waiting on him to send me more information about it.
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:14 PM
car guy

I put in my 2 cents to the other mods. I would ad a couple things including a Performance section ,delete a few sections and elminate almost all the sub forums. If you are on the site all the time you can just use new posts but if you are not its very hard to navigate and too much overlap IMO.
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:46 PM

I just thought about this too . What about an event calendar a place where we can post specific b.o.p events or just oldsmobile events where multiple events will show up on the dates. For example is there is a b.o.p specific cruise night and b.o.p specific drag race event even if they fall on the same date they will both show up for the same day. I know we have a calendar but i think it would see more use as an event's calander where people can post local shows, swap meets, and races. Just a thought .
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:48 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Definitely...RobbMc pickup was shipped today so my fuel system should be here soon. I'd like to make it to the April 27th BOP shootout in San Antonio...Sickyolds told me about it I'm just waiting on him to send me more information about it.
Danny is actually the one heading up that event so i will send him your email and he can put you in the loop
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by sicky olds
Danny is actually the one heading up that event so i will send him your email and he can put you in the loop
Sweet! Thanks!

Ok, so I have another thread that needs to go in a performance section:

Big Cam and power brakes, what have you guys done to have both? I have an external vacuum canister but it's not cutting it. I am thinking about a vacuum pump, what brand or type is best?
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:56 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I just thought about this too . What about an event calendar a place where we can post specific b.o.p events or just oldsmobile events where multiple events will show up on the dates. For example is there is a b.o.p specific cruise night and b.o.p specific drag race event even if they fall on the same date they will both show up for the same day. I know we have a calendar but i think it would see more use as an event's calander where people can post local shows, swap meets, and races. Just a thought .
That is what the announcement section is for lol. Maybe we can make another subforum....
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:00 PM

The only problem with announcments is it will eventually get pushed into oblivion and will only get found if you are looking for it. Im trying to get a regular calendar that will show all events that get posted to the dates even multiples with links if possible to the info., thats it no talking and maybe an attendance count where you can rsvp so to speak and it will show who is attending etc. Just a calendar for events. I think they can modify our existing calendar which i dont think gets much use.

Last edited by coppercutlass; March 6th, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:57 AM

ah64...thats not that radical a cam for Vac issues...first make sure you have really dialed in your idle mixture with a Tach and Vac gauge. Second look at your valve lash...take a couple thou more ( looser ) and see if Vac changes.

Just some thoughts

I'm not a huge fan of Vac pumps..not cheap for the GOOD ones and more stuff hangin on the front of the motor. Both my race cars are Man brakes...no probs...

Danny
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Banned

One more vote for a Performance category and perhaps a separate Racing category could be an option too.

The 1/2" line that goes into the stock location of the gas tank should be fine. Sumps welded onto stock tanks look like crap. You should always race with a full tank of gas anyways, it's a cheap weight box. Ask any of these guys who are hanging the front tires off the line and I'll bet 80% have a weight box in the trunk with an additional hundred pounds in it.

Last edited by SBORule; March 8th, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by SBORule
One more vote for a Performance category and perhaps a separate Racing category could be an option too.

The 1/2" line that goes into the stock location of the gas tank should be fine. Sumps welded onto stock tanks look like crap. You should always race with a full tank of gas anyways, it's a cheap weight box. Ask any of these guys who are hanging the front tires off the line and I'll bet 80% have a weight box in the trunk with an additional hundred pounds in it.
Thanks, I went on and ordered the 1/2" pickup from RobbMc. Now I'm trying to decide whether I should get a Mallory 140 pump or go on and pony up for the Magna fuel 275 with built in filter...any suggestions?
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:06 AM

Just some suggestions from my own experience...and to help a guy on a budget.

My W-30 Post Coupe ran as low as 11.44 with a Holley Blue...60' in the 1.49 range. AN 8 from pump to regulator and AN 6 from regulator to my 800cfm Q-jet. with my new set up ( Alum Heads and Roller etc. ) I went to the Aeromotive A-1000.

Good friend with very similar buld to yours is running Summit equal to Holley Blue with AN 6 from stock tank AND PICKUP to reg and AN 6 to Q-jet. Has gone 12.02 on MT Sportsman Pros and 3.23 Gears through poor exhaust system. Car ran 114 on the 12.02..Has plenty more in it with gears/convertor/exhaust work. He will be at BOP in April.

Just my experience, but don't go overboard on fuel system for anything down to around 11.00

Hope this info is helpful

Danny
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Banned

70Wcars brings up some very good points.

I have heard that Kevin Smith had run 10's with a stock 3/8" fuel line in the stock location with no other mod's other than removing the sock from the fuel pickup in the tank. He even hooked up his nitrous system's fuel line with a T connector which supplied enough fuel to make his car runs 10's.

I don't know anything about Rob McStuff pickup but if it comes with a sock on the end, I would remove it and use an external filter before the pump.

The guy mentioned above runs a Holley Blue pump too, but he installed the high pressure spring in the pump. You got to remember that a fuel pump has to have enough pressure to push the fuel/gas forward during acceleration when G forces are trying to push it back into the tank.

I run a Carter Race electric pump, it produces around 14 psi and is designed for 1/2" fuel lines, I'm not sure a Holley Blue pump is. My Carter pump doesn't push the volume of gas/fuel other pumps claim but it works fine for me. I like the Carter pumps because the fuel/gas lines are on the top of the pump, unlike the Holley and others which keeps the fuel lines out of sight from the rear of the car. It is also rated for continuous duty, other pumps don't make that claim. My last Carter pump lasted 25 years then died, pretty good life cycle.

Aeromotive pumps are nice but they are kind of pricey but like anything, you get what you pay for. I never owned one but I do like how you can mount them and how the fuel lines aren't hanging off the bottom of the pump.
Old March 10th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Paul Dodd, 10 sec Old's

YES vote to performance section

It's another YES to a Performance section from over here in the UK, surely we can learn something from each others experiences. As far as fuel goes I use a Holley HP150 through the stock 3/8th line regulated to 6lbs and that has no problems running 10 sec quarters feeding both the fuel line with a Toff for the Nitrous fuel line .DPP07DA0501140E36[2].jpg
Old March 11th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Past Administrator

I think this is going to happen soon guys, not teasing you just keeping you updated. We are hashing out some ideas and hope to get there soon.
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I think this is going to happen soon guys, not teasing you just keeping you updated. We are hashing out some ideas and hope to get there soon.
Thank you! It's so nice to be a part of a forum that listens to it's members...no matter how long they've been a member. I appreciate you guys looking into this, and I am excited to see what comes of it. I believe this will make www.classicolds.com a one stop shop for guys like me that only have, and only want, Oldsmobiles. Thank you, again!

Steve
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:56 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
I believe this will make www.classicolds.com a one stop shop for guys like me that only have,
Steve
You buy that domain and planning to make a new site??

Seriously there are a bunch of changes in the works. A few catagories will be added and several are going away and will be consolidated. About 70% of the overlap will be gone. When this happens some people may notice there thread needs to be moved to a better spot. If this happens just pm one of the mods to move it.
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78

Seriously there are a bunch of changes in the works. A few catagories will be added and several are going away and will be consolidated. About 70% of the overlap will be gone.
Thank you.
Old March 13th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

You buy that domain and planning to make a new site??

Seriously there are a bunch of changes in the works. A few catagories will be added and several are going away and will be consolidated. About 70% of the overlap will be gone. When this happens some people may notice there thread needs to be moved to a better spot. If this happens just pm one of the mods to move it.
Are any of these potential changes open to discussion and/or suggestion ?.

I wouldn't mind seeing an OFFICIAL thread (preferably STICKIED') so to speak with what's on the table.

Perhaps others might be able to share their thoughts/opinions on them and/or add their .02 ?.

I have my own suggestions, but I certainly wouldn't want to waste my time discussing them if any of these proposed changes aren't up for discussion.

I doubt I'm the only person thinking these things.

Hope /\none/\ of this sounds pushy or arrogant, it's not meant to be ... it's just a thought.
Old March 13th, 2012, 03:05 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
Are any of these potential changes open to discussion and/or suggestion ?.

I wouldn't mind seeing an OFFICIAL thread (preferably STICKIED') so to speak with what's on the table.

Perhaps others might be able to share their thoughts/opinions on them and/or add their .02 ?.

I have my own suggestions, but I certainly wouldn't want to waste my time discussing them if any of these proposed changes aren't up for discussion.

I doubt I'm the only person thinking these things.

Hope /\none/\ of this sounds pushy or arrogant, it's not meant to be ... it's just a thought.
You or anyone else is welcome to PM your ideas. I think making an open discussion is just going to delay the process that's already in motion and have a whole bunch of disagreements.
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:27 PM

SPRING BOP SHOOTOUT FRIDAY APRIL 27 SAN ANTONIO RACEWAY.

Jackpot style payout for 3 classes in Bracket Race.

The more cars entered, the more $$$ in the Jackpot. We will pay Winner and Runner Up in all three classes.

11.99 and faster.
12.00 to 13.99
14.00 and slower.
Sportsman Tree, must pass Track Tech,

South Texas Olds Club will be cooking Burgers and Dogs for everyone in the BOP Shootout.

More info to follow.

Thanks for looking

Danny
Old March 15th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Past Administrator

You or anyone else is welcome to PM your ideas. I think making an open discussion is just going to delay the process that's already in motion and have a whole bunch of disagreements.
Richard is right. I think the longer we keep this on an open forum for discussion the longer it will take to initiate. Not sure if some of you were around about a year or so ago when we made some changes bu it seemed like it took forever to finally hash out and do it. We have had a fairly active discussion going on with the moderators and are pretty close to going with something. As Richard said, if you really, really, have a good idea then shoot him a PM but do it soon.
Old March 15th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Richard is right. I think the longer we keep this on an open forum for discussion the longer it will take to initiate. Not sure if some of you were around about a year or so ago when we made some changes bu it seemed like it took forever to finally hash out and do it. We have had a fairly active discussion going on with the moderators and are pretty close to going with something. As Richard said, if you really, really, have a good idea then shoot him a PM but do it soon.
I was unaware there was an active discussion going on ... as I could never find one.

I figure there's been 48 hours for others to jump in after my .02 & add :

"+1 +2 +3" etc etc.

"hey that sounds like a great idea".

Being that hasn't happened .....

I think it's obvious to say my thoughts were not an idea the majority here stands behind.

So being the saying goes "the majority rules" .....

I'll just leave good enough alone then.

No harm no foul.

I probably really didn't need something else on my plate to worry about anyway.

Old March 18th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Past Administrator

Ok then, we are going to make some changes to the forum just give a a week to do it. It will probably look similar to the changes Richard has suggested. Thanks again for all you input.
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by 70Wcars
ah64...thats not that radical a cam for Vac issues...first make sure you have really dialed in your idle mixture with a Tach and Vac gauge. Second look at your valve lash...take a couple thou more ( looser ) and see if Vac changes.

Just some thoughts

I'm not a huge fan of Vac pumps..not cheap for the GOOD ones and more stuff hangin on the front of the motor. Both my race cars are Man brakes...no probs...

Danny
So I had to change my rear drum wheel cylinders because I noticed they were leaking when I installed the new Lokar throttle cable...the cheapo Mr. Gasket one had broken at the track, hence the 1/4 mile times. I figured while I was at it I might as well change the master cylinder because I'll have to bleed it all anyway and it was lifetime free so why not. Then, talking to JoesW31, he convinced me to change over to manual brakes, thanks Joe . He even gave me the brake rod to do it, thanks again. I also figured since I was changing the master and the wheel cylinders and ALL the drum brake components, now would be the time for a line lock so I don't ruin the new drum brakes at the track. So after 3 days of bending new lines, trying unsuccessfully to bleed the rear, dismantling the proportioning valve, and a painful experience I won't soon repeat...the car is now a manual brake car with a line lock. Not bad considering I had taken the week off to put the fuel system in...oh well, I'll do it next week
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Past Administrator

It's done. Thanks to Omicron.