Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Response after you've answered Question

Old March 12th, 2016, 01:31 PM

Smile Response after you've answered Question

Is it just me or do others have the problem ,getting a Response returned ,after you have researched and answered a question that has been posted.? This has happened to me several times lately.You may spend an hour or more of time looking for something that has been ask, and never get a Response afterward!
I was taught that it was just courtesy to at least respond to someone who spends time to answer a question! Maybe I am just "Old School".
Larry
Old March 12th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Sometimes they just come on irregularly or they come on ask the question and never come back.
Old March 12th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
I was taught that it was just courtesy to at least respond to someone who spends time to answer a question! Maybe I am just "Old School".
Larry
I guess us "Old School" type will have to stick together... I'm with you on this topic... Although, for the most part, it's not an issue with many of the posters here, but for the few who choose not to reply, a little feedback or followup status on help provided would be nice...

Last edited by CRUZN 66; March 12th, 2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old March 12th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Lansing built

It happens on other forums also! You get a thank you bout one in ten.

Pat
Old March 12th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Lansing built

It happens on other forums also! You get a thank you about one in ten.

Pat
Old March 12th, 2016, 04:06 PM

I agree, and if you want a response maybe one should call them out on it. I get frustrated when people here are trying to solve a problem and you never know if it got solved.
Old March 12th, 2016, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
It happens on other forums also! You get a thank you bout one in ten.

Pat
I for one am very greatful for the help I have received on this site. I would hope I've responded to any help with at least a Thank-you.
Old March 12th, 2016, 04:45 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Larry. I am from the old school too. Heck I still hold the door for women. I think most people on here appreciate the help and usually say so. Then there are those few. It is aggravating when you get no response at all. Unfortunately it is the world we live in.
Old March 12th, 2016, 05:17 PM
Maintained

Good manners and gratitude cost nothing. Lazy attitudes cost us all.
Old March 12th, 2016, 06:46 PM

Thanks for all your comments,at least now I feel better that it's not just me,that it happens to. In all I think this is a great site,and after all , the time I spend researching,maybe is helping me.
Larry
Old March 12th, 2016, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Thanks for all your comments,at least now I feel better that it's not just me,that it happens to. In all I think this is a great site,and after all , the time I spend researching,maybe is helping me.
Larry
Your observations are correct; it is not just you, and it is not just this forum, as has been said. Take solace in knowing that the helpers will likely remain more knowledgeable and more polite than the curt questioners. While sometime they seem to be an endangered life form, the better people make for a better world. There is still something to be said for Old School.
Old March 12th, 2016, 08:40 PM

Thanks Ozzie, I've always respected your answers in other post that I've read,and your answer on this subject is true to form also. Larry
Old March 12th, 2016, 09:09 PM

I'm so old of a old school guy that young people hold doors for me. I feel if you spent time trying to help someone the least they can do is give you a thumbs up and let you know if your idea/fix worked. Others are wanting to know so they can attempt the same fix... Tedd
Old March 13th, 2016, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by m371961
I agree, and if you want a response maybe one should call them out on it.
How are you going to call them out on it? If they don't come back to see your answer or respond to it, they're not going to come back to see that they've been "called out" either.

If you don't want to take the chance that your response won't be acknowledged or appreciated, don't answer the question in the first place.

There's an old saying. If you want a friend, get a dog.
Old March 13th, 2016, 09:26 AM

Sometimes I am so pleased that my question is answered, that I might have neglected to respond with a follow-up after implementation or a thank you. Certainly not good manners.

I am grateful for this site. I am grateful for the folks who take the time to answer my questions so thoroughly. I am grateful that I am not treated like a moron on this site for asking stupid questions. I am grateful for our moderators who don't put up with insulting or belittling behavior on this site.

Not a bad thing to be reminded that many folks invest time and energy to answer these posts and they deserve a response and a thank you.

So...for those of you I neglected to give a proper response...Thank you!

From all of us who should know better, we appreciate you!

David DeCan
1970 Cutlass Convertible
Old March 13th, 2016, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
How are you going to call them out on it? If they don't come back to see your answer or respond to it, they're not going to come back to see that they've been "called out" either.

If you don't want to take the chance that your response won't be acknowledged or appreciated, don't answer the question in the first place.

Who ate your bowl of sunshine this morning Thundercloud? LOL
Old March 13th, 2016, 10:28 AM

Well said, David DeCan

I don't worry about getting a thanks, I worry about getting busted with incorrect information! Even Joe P got caught once, ONCE.
Old March 13th, 2016, 01:48 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by jaunty75
If you want to have a friend, get an old car!
Old March 13th, 2016, 04:12 PM

I am not going to let the fact that some didn't respond back after I researched and gave them my best answer stand in the way of any friendship. I don't hold grudges,especially for minor things. I just thought maybe it would make some aware of what they sometimes fail to do. I feel like I've made many friends here, and hope to continue to do so.,Thanks to all who comment. I am thankful that I found this site several years ago, and hopefully can be of help to others. Thanks Larry
Old March 13th, 2016, 05:23 PM

I appreciate it when i know the question has most likely been asked a 100 times over the years and still gets answered. I am amazed at the knowledge held by so many. I do appreciate that my basic 'how to' questions are met with enthusiastic responses and positive support.
Old March 13th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I agree, Larry, it's surprisingly rude when people don't show their appreciation.

I think that they just see the people on this forum (and on others) as a free resource, placed their just for them, kind of like welfare or that Disability check they get for dyslexia or anxiety.

Sometimes, though, another person will chime in and thank you for helping him, because he had the same problem, so it all works out.

- Eric
Old March 14th, 2016, 05:21 AM
344879M363895

I wouldn't let this get to me. Just like in the real non-internet world, there are those who show appreciation and those that don't. It is extremely tough to change someone's inability to show gratitude. As a sidenote, this entire forum is like a giant conversation...and just like in a conversation, you don't thank someone every time you speak.

That said, I hope that the members here know what their efforts have helped me accomplish so far, and I thank everyone who did help me with pointers, pictures, or data. I would be lost without this site.
Old March 15th, 2016, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by m371961
I agree, and if you want a response maybe one should call them out on it. I get frustrated when people here are trying to solve a problem and you never know if it got solved.
x2 , or you provide a solution to problem "A" and when you are awaiting a response the OP will already have a new thread up for problem "B" before we've addressed the initial concern.
Old March 15th, 2016, 07:46 AM

Over the past 20 years or so, I have sent parts to folks who were in need, for free.

You would be surprised at how many of these people never said "Thanks".

I also helped a few folks here who were out of work by selling them parts at discounted prices so they could resell them for a profit.

Also surprising that these folks never showed any gratitude.

So, now I am very cautious on helping anyone.
Old March 15th, 2016, 08:11 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by My442
Over the past 20 years or so, I have sent parts to folks who were in need, for free.

You would be surprised at how many of these people never said "Thanks".

I also helped a few folks here who were out of work by selling them parts at discounted prices so they could resell them for a profit.

Also surprising that these folks never showed any gratitude.

So, now I am very cautious on helping anyone.
What you mentioned certainly does warrant some appreciation. Don't let it change who you are. Just scratch those bad apples off your list.
Old March 17th, 2016, 02:31 AM

sweet 442 with 455 big block
Old March 17th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by scottday
sweet 442 with 455 big block
Anyone else confused?????
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:45 AM

Yes it's scott

I am just commenting on photos of a car posted on this site I am sorry if I confused anyone
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It is a little confusing. Comments usually follow the subject of the thread. Were you commenting on one of the cars you saw above in this thread?

I see you only have three posts so Welcome to the Site. This is a good place.
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:58 AM

Not looking for hand outs

If anyone can help me get parts for my 1963 f85 transmission .Iwould gladly pay for them,and the shipping.rear internal gear,rear carrier unit and rear sun gear.Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:05 AM

Than you I just want everyone to know that I am not an ungreatfull person that expects something for nothing . I have read some of the other post and understand how others feel.