Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.
View Poll Results: New Posts - Where are they hiding?
I get ALL new posts listed just fine same as before.
18.18%
I noticed the same thing but really like it.
0%
Hey! It works just fine on a Mac.
0%
I noticed the same thing and wish it would go back to the way it was.
81.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Where do new posts go after I hit 'submit'?

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2014, 12:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Where do new posts go after I hit 'submit'?

I remember someone bringing this up once before but I can't find it on the site with the way it's been 'programmed' for the last while.

Is it just my puter or are any of you in the same boat? Every time I submit a new post, (which is date stamped by the CO server) it 'disappears' and I can't find it in the 'new posts' section.

What really bothers me though is that it's now almost impossible to keep a line on what actually is new on this site. The CO browser shows 'new posts' up to a point. Then there's a break in the 'library' of New posts with the following message:
The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.
It does NOT show any updated posts that I may have commented on, so my question is: Where do these posts go to hibernate instead of coming out to play?

This new format the site has been using for the past few months is not helpful at all. Is there something IB needs to address, or is it a concern for any of you?

I find it frustrating, so I'm attaching a poll to this thread for your feedback.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 12:23 PM

The last couple of new post i made seem to have disappeared. I didnt know if it was my comp or the site. Seems the site has changed, maybe not for the better.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 12:50 PM
Administrator

If you click on todays posts it will show up but not be highlighted. Just tried it.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 01:08 PM
Old School Olds

It was more user friendly 6 months ago. Something's changed, it's now just short of a PITA.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 01:38 PM

Glad you brought this up Allan. I thought it was only me with this situation. If I post something, I can't see it. Plain and simple. Weird. But by the same token, I've always had a problem posting pictures too. I attach a pic in my posting and then when I try to attach another one, it overrides the first one instead of adding to it. So I can only post 1 picture per posting, but others post multiple pics in a single post. I say again, weird.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 02:49 PM

I've been thinking the same thing Allan. It is kind of goofy.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 03:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If you click on todays posts it will show up but not be highlighted. Just tried it.
Eric, 'Today's Posts' is for viewing when not logged in. Why would anyone want to have to log out to see that then log in to respond? I'm tellin ya my friend this site server has changed the way it displays or records 'fresh posts'.

Example: If I post this now it won't show up as a New Post even though the time stamp will be immediate. It also won't show up on the 'recent' activity that 'may have new information'. The way the server worked in the past was fine. Now it's just plain frustrating.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 03:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok, just to test my theory (which I know is not a theory - it's a fact) I just went and checked "New Posts" right after I posted that previous one. NADA

In conclusion your honor, the facts of the case are clear. The server is Guilty, guilty, guilty. Jury shouldn't have any problems with the verdict.... oh I see they're back.

Guilty as charged!
Old December 23rd, 2014, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Now I'm confused, did it work?
Old December 23rd, 2014, 03:42 PM
Rodney

Allan:
I've notice the same thing, but wondered if it was related to a time stamp, e.g. new posts get updated at 6am everyday. I've even tried deleting a newly create post and reposting it to try to get it to show up as a new post. How do we get this fixed??

Rodney
Old December 23rd, 2014, 03:53 PM
Administrator

I've never used the site without logging in. Most of these issues started when they made the site user friendly for mobile phones. I believe that an individual post is visible as a new post to everyone but the Poster for his/her last post. When someone responds it will then be visible as a new post to you.

Again if you want to view your last post you must go to the Quick Links pull down and click on todays posts, yours will be near the top of the page.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 03:57 PM
Old School Olds

Only way I can see a new post after posting is to hit back, back, back.
If you hit new posts 1st, fagitaboudit.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 04:07 PM
Hookers under Hood

Eric nailed it ... Just tried. Quick links- today's posts and its back to the top with a new post.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 04:35 PM

I think...not often...but in this instance I've noticed that after I post, before anyone has had the time to even see it, there will be one (1) NEW VIEW...but I cannot see it either, without going thru convolutions as above. I think it is logging our post as a view...thus making it NOT a new post for US to view!

Brett
Old December 23rd, 2014, 04:41 PM

Posting this as a test to see for myself.

Seemed to work fine for me. Unless I'm not noticing something.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 05:06 PM

Eric is correct. Quick links/today's posts. Now can someone tell me why I no longer receive email alerts to threads I subscribed to?
Old December 23rd, 2014, 05:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I've never used the site without logging in. Most of these issues started when they made the site user friendly for mobile phones. I believe that an individual post is visible as a new post to everyone but the Poster for his/her last post. When someone responds it will then be visible as a new post to you.

Again if you want to view your last post you must go to the Quick Links pull down and click on todays posts, yours will be near the top of the page.
Eric, for the most part I usually leave my puter logged in (using the remember me feature) so I don't have to log in. But in the past all I had to do was hit "New Posts" and there would be the latest posts in time stamped order! I had no idea of how to deal with this until I started this thread. I'll see if it works after I post this.

Personally I don't know why a quick link to recent posts shouldn't be part of the "New Posts" setup. Really.

Originally Posted by 76olds
Eric nailed it ... Just tried. Quick links- today's posts and its back to the top with a new post.
Well, we'll see if it was luck or not. Either way there should have been some notification when the site changed to this format. The old way of posting and checking "New Posts" was fine.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 05:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok, Eric. It works the way you said it would. But honestly, should I talk to Paul (Omicron) about getting a link as described above to the New Posts? More people are going to use that as a feature of looking for something new than looking for a 'Quick link' which describes absolutely nothing IMO. I never used Quick Links simply because I thought they were for references to advertising or suppliers. I have all them listed on my puter so I never clicked there - ever.

And the title 'Today's Posts' actually is what I saw when not logged in. Try logging off and look at the menu bar and you'll see what I mean.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 05:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Sampson
Eric is correct. Quick links/today's posts. Now can someone tell me why I no longer receive email alerts to threads I subscribed to?
I had this happen in the Spring. Check your ISP to see if the mail is being blocked. I had to create a Gmail account and set my email notifications to that. Works fine now.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Check your settings in your user CP. Something may be amiss. I have mine setup to NOT receive email alerts.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Allan, I think the way its setup now is that it's not flagged as a new post to you until someone posts after you.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 06:21 PM

Check your settings in your user CP. Something may be amiss. I have mine setup to NOT receive email alerts.
Thanks Eric, I just found all my Classic Olds emails in the Junk bin of my yahoo acct. Not sure what changed or how to get it reversed. At least I know where they are!
Old December 23rd, 2014, 06:23 PM

Damn North Korean hackers!
Old December 23rd, 2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ok, Eric. It works the way you said it would. But honestly, should I talk to Paul (Omicron) about getting a link as described above to the New Posts? More people are going to use that as a feature of looking for something new than looking for a 'Quick link' which describes absolutely nothing IMO. I never used Quick Links simply because I thought they were for references to advertising or suppliers. I have all them listed on my puter so I never clicked there - ever.

And the title 'Today's Posts' actually is what I saw when not logged in. Try logging off and look at the menu bar and you'll see what I mean.
X2 to this. I am permanently logged in and go to new posts to see what's up!
Old December 23rd, 2014, 06:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Allan, I think the way its setup now is that it's not flagged as a new post to you until someone posts after you.
No, that's not how it works. I've considered that but it's a theory that holds water like a sieve because I tried that approach. The only thing that tells me when someone has posted to a thread is my email notifications when I subscribe to a thread.

I think I should discuss this link thing with Paul.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Shoot Paul a pm. When I get back on I always hit new posts and anything that is new pops up. I agree it does work differently than it did say 6 months ago, again I believe its due to them trying to get the site more smart phone friendly.
Old December 24th, 2014, 04:37 AM

Thanks Eric, I just found all my Classic Olds emails in the Junk bin of my yahoo acct. Not sure what changed or how to get it reversed. At least I know where they are!

This is the strangest thing. After I found all the Claasic Olds emails last night I could not find a way to change the settings in my yahoo acct. I decided I would just look for them in the Junk acct from now on. This morning all the email. Notifications are showing up in my inbox like they should. Damn. North Koreans again........
Old December 24th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Administrator

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...281367F3013CEB
Old December 24th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

This is the strangest thing. After I found all the Claasic Olds emails last night I could not find a way to change the settings in my yahoo acct. I decided I would just look for them in the Junk acct from now on. This morning all the email. Notifications are showing up in my inbox like they should. Damn. North Koreans again........
No, I think servers got ears. Yesterday after I called out the server my post disappeared and the site went offline to my puter. Database error. Even when I tried to log in the same database error popped up. Do servers have feeling or something?
Old December 24th, 2014, 08:33 AM

I believe its due to them trying to get the site more smart phone friendly.
If the consequence of making the site more smartphone friendly is to make the site more desktop PC UNfriendly, then they should put it back the way it was.

In spite of the increased use of smartphones to access the site, I would guess that the majority of users still access it via a desktop or laptop computer.
Old December 24th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

^^^ that's got my vote. The biggest complaint I've heard from phone users is how hard it is to upload pics. (Which seem to install upside down) PC/laptops seem to be the norm for a lot of us, and I can't see why the site would / should change to reflect use by a minority.
Old December 24th, 2014, 08:49 AM

besides all that, i need to hit back button twice after reading a thread
Old December 24th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Justin

I use my I phone daily, on the sight and my vote is it was better before (6 months ago )using my phone. I think the changes were for the worst but hey that's my opinion
Old December 24th, 2014, 10:45 AM

I always go to the quick links then to todays posts. it works great just wish that ad arrow wasn't right in the same place. otherwise love this site.

thanks to all that created it and maintain it.

Merry Christmas to you all

Larry
Redmond, Oregon (with a white Christmas this year)
Old December 26th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by stan 65 cutlass
besides all that, i need to hit back button twice after reading a thread
I was hoping someone else would mention this. I have the same problem , but only with my PC. Now I have to hit the back button three times before it will make a move. This problem only happens on classic Oldsmobile. Anyone else having this problem?
Old December 26th, 2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by kjr442
Now I have to hit the back button three times before it will make a move. This problem only happens on classic Oldsmobile. Anyone else having this problem?
I've not had this problem here, but I have on other sites.

It's possible that the page is reloading itself several times. Instead of repeatedly hitting the back button, put your mouse cursor on the back button and hold down the mouse button. You'll see a drop-down list of your recently-visited pages. While continuing to hold down the mouse button, move the cursor down below the multiple instances of the same page to the page prior to those (or whichever page you want), and then let the mouse button up.

See the attached thumbnail for what the dropdown looks like in Firefox. It's similar for the other browsers.
Attached Images
Old December 26th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Kjr442

Thanks jaunty
Old December 26th, 2014, 03:34 PM

My troubles using the back button disappeared when I went to Firefox and Adblock.
Had to do with something called doubleclick.
But there was something changed with using the new posts button.
Old December 26th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Been busy with the season, but just an update. PM sent to Paul (Omicron) who is the site wizard at fixing issues. I've asked him to review this thread as I'm sure that most of you who have responded are just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. If you know anyone else who's encountering the issues I started this thread for, please have them chime in even if it's just to vote or comment briefly.

I've outlined the issue for him in regards to the "New Posts" and "Quick Links - Today's Posts". Thanks everyone who's participated, and those who may come in now. Hope Paul can provide us with a working solution.
Old December 27th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I also just noticed something else different with the comparison of "New Posts" and the "Quick Links - Today's Posts". As of this comment - For some reason the "New posts" gives 3 pages of history - none of which show current posting information. The "Quick Links" gives only 2 pages of history but provides the most current activity I have viewed or commented on (not bold type) and the unread ones (bold type)

Another thing for Paul to have a look at?

Quick Reply: Where do new posts go after I hit 'submit'?