Milan's 795 HP Beast

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2015, 06:24 PM

Milan's 795 HP Beast

Went to the track today with Milan's Black Beauty for some test 'n' tune. Track conditions were not optimal. Temp was 68 degrees into a 12 MPH headwind. Don, (80 Rocket), got the call for driving duties, that lucky SOB. He made four passes. Took it easy right at the get go, trying to get a feel for the car. Don has driven seven second altered, and dragsters. He has cut a perfect light with a wheel chair. It didn't take him long to get familiar with all the controls. The shifts came fast, and we were all impressed with the car's power. It kept getting faster. The car performed flawlessly. Never got hot, and heat cycled real fast. The cooling system is very efficient. Milan did a great job on this car top to bottom. I don't think I've seen a sharper Cutlass, EVER. Stock type suspension, 9.5 Hoosier drag slicks, car went 1.26 in the 60 Ft, 9.39 @ 140 MPH in the 1/4 mile. We never messed with jetting, chassis, or even tire pressure. The goal here was to get some seat time for Don. I took some photos with my crappy digital camera, caught one as the front end was just starting to come up.
CIMG4967_zpstmtimvyg.jpg
"The bar is over there --->"
CIMG4964_zps3n46gfzd.jpg
If anyone has questions or comments, I'm sure Milan will be happy to answer them.
Look forward to seeing a bunch of you guys at Cordova, Dave - The Freak
Old September 19th, 2015, 07:06 PM

Wow that thing flys! Glad the motor is getting used in something and performing well!
Old September 19th, 2015, 08:29 PM

I have the wrong friends! No one ever offered to let me drive their car. Man that is a sweet ride.
Old September 20th, 2015, 04:51 PM

Awesome

Bad *** Olds powered by bad *** Olds engine. Looks like a fine way to spend the day. Congrats.
Old September 20th, 2015, 08:05 PM

Milan is a great guy, I'm lucky enough to live less than 30 minutes from him and his vast knowledge of an Olds engine.

Don & Dave - hopefully I'll get a chance to meet you guys as well.

Nice work guys!
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:03 AM

Simply badass!
Old September 21st, 2015, 01:02 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by chadman
Simply badass!
X2, couldn't find a better way of describing it.
Old September 21st, 2015, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
I have the wrong friends! No one ever offered to let me drive their car. Man that is a sweet ride.
It is always humbling to have someone ask me to drive their car. It really is.

I started off as some young punk knowing nothing about bracket racing years ago, showing up in some shitty looking 78 Cutlass running mid/high 14s. However, what I lacked in skill, I made it up with pure determination and a will to win. My first season I won an IHRA Ironman, and followed up with another win a few weeks later in my local points series. That was 10 years ago.

I raced that jalopy for 6 seasons and that thing gained a reputation. People feared the primer black 78 as I ended up winning a few NHRA Wallys and got an index series championship running the 13.50 class.

I think 2010 was the most impressive, in 7 races for the 13.50 index class, I won 5 of them, was runner up, and semi-finals.

It was actually in 2007 I got my first chance. I was put in an 8 second dragster. I went 8.62 in it and it felt like I just eclipsed the sound barrier.

I ended up buying the dragster and raced it in 2009 with some pos small block chevy 350 I put together for $800 and went 9.50s with it. The motor was a re-ring, throw some bearings at it type of deal. I did a set of Vortec heads with a valve job on with some machining (I did the machining at a local place that let me use their equipment) to get better springs in. I only raced it half the year but made two final rounds and finished 10th in the points for Super Pro. That was my first year with a delay box.

In the meantime, I got some other opportunities after that to drive some cars. Deals never worked out or I didn't trust the workmanship on the cars. Finally, in 2013 my friend talked me into racing his 7 second altered. It didn't come to fruition until last season.

We struggled with the chassis last year, but somehow we managed to go 7.60 @ 172mph. What we didn't know was we had a bad shock.

With the shocks squared away this year, I ended up 4th in the points for Super Pro class in that altered. I was killing the tree (had countless .00x bulbs, and three perfect lights) and learned a lot this year about chassis'.

It was actually last year when Milan contacted me about driving his car, but it took some time for the motor to get back together with the changes made. When the motor got together and in the car, you can bet your *** I was chomping at the bit wanting to drive this thing ASAP.

What's the point of me posting all of this? Well, it is not to toot my own horn. Rather, I think it should be mentioned that with hard work, patience, and persistence opportunities like this come along. I am truly humbled to have people like Milan ask me (and trust me) to drive their stuff.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Very cool story. Although not cheap, drag racing can still be a fun and affordable sport for the amateur.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 01:25 PM
MOTORHEAD

way to go milan
Old September 27th, 2015, 07:56 PM

Old October 13th, 2015, 09:35 AM

Went 9.35 @ 142.94mph at Cordova this past weekend.
Old October 13th, 2015, 09:40 AM

That's a sexy beast !
Old October 13th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

he is a video from last weekends bop race at cordova.

Old October 13th, 2015, 11:48 PM

what a beast!

are there any details on your build?
Old October 14th, 2015, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by EightballZ
what a beast!

are there any details on your build?
I think his engine build is in the racing engine build thread. There are several good builds in that thread you might want to go check out Milans and others.
Old October 14th, 2015, 01:30 PM

impressive!
Old October 23rd, 2015, 12:17 PM

Awesome car.
Top shelf build 9.35 in a very close to stock 69 cutlass.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
Awesome car.
Top shelf build 9.35 in a very close to stock 69 cutlass.
Except his isn't acid dipped holes drilled for lightening and many other things. Stock as in stock class racing not to be confused with factory stock with no mods.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 02:44 PM

Stock as in stock from the factory. I do not know all that has been done to the car but it is very impressive just like all of his engine builds. I really like how the car launches and drives out of the wheels up launch. It was pointed out to me on ROP that it is a foot brake car, making the ET even more impressive. Milan could probable stand it up on the bumper if he wanted to. I'm a fan of the more controlled launch were the car drives out not way up and out.

Last edited by Bernhard; October 23rd, 2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 02:52 PM

For national competition in nhra stock classes didn't all cars in their classes have to make wheight for their respective classes ??? I'm talking about junior stock not super stockers. I know super stockers had a lot less rules to follow than guys running in say j\s or f/s.

Last edited by coppercutlass; October 23rd, 2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 04:09 PM

Yes stock and supper stock cars have to meet factory weight.
The reason for acid dipping the bumper and fenders was to get the weight off the front end.
Any weight that was removed from the front would just be add to the back of the car.

Last edited by Bernhard; October 23rd, 2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 04:21 PM

The thing that I find most impressive about this build is the fact it's a BB Olds, spinning to 7200RPM. Just wait until Milan unleashes his monster DX built engine, for this car. Top to bottom, that powerplant will be something that only a handful of guys have done successfully NA. I'm not gonna spill the beans. I will let Milan do that, when it's time. Just a little teaser... The Baddest Rocket Racing Heads, to date, on the planet. Earth that is. LOL
Dave - The Freak
Old October 23rd, 2015, 04:52 PM

Thanks for that bernhard. That makes sense. I know in factory experimental classes before super stocks it was a free for all and essentially they became funny cars. I know early stockers like the zl1 impalas had aluminum front ends. I just didnt know if they had to add wheight to make up for it . I love the old stockers and the history that goes with them. There was alot of ingenuity to go fast within the rule books.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:08 PM

Stock as in stock from the factory. I do not know all that has been done to the car but it is very impressive just like all of his engine builds. I really like how the car launches and drives out of the wheels up launch. It was pointed out to me on ROP that it is a foot brake car, making the ET even more impressive. Milan could probable stand it up on the bumper if he wanted to. I'm a fan of the more controlled launch were the car drives out not way up and out.
Bernhard no disrespect but i find that hard to believe that a stock factory car goes 9.35 or even close without mods.I myself would love to examine one.Then again maybe it is possible.Where did you get all this info that you are putting out there?
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:26 PM

Wr1970 . I think he meant stock as in appearance and suspension interior possibly ? No need to be literal. clearly a car running in the 9's is not stock . back in the day guys where runnin in the low 12's in lets say f/stock . it all came down to what they could modify withing the rule books and wheight vs. hp rating dictating their class. i doubt a stock w31 could run low 12's from the factory. they needed alot of tweaking and changes to get them there. I mean it was called stock but it was not stock. i dont think the nhra is that literal as they had a ton of stock classes with combinations sometimes that where not even possibly from the factory . like the panel wagons with corvette engines and hydramatic transmissions i belive it wasnt even an option but due to rules they could run that combo. how is that stock ??? yet it ran in a stock class.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:55 PM

Bernhard no disrespect but i find that hard to believe that a stock factory car goes 9.35 or even close without mods.I myself would love to examine one.Then again maybe it is possible.Where did you get all this info that you are putting out there?

The car is stock appearing it is not stock.
The car is not a chassis car or back halved.
Car looks to be caring mostly original sheet metal and glass

Look to run 9.35 it has to have the suspension,fuel system,roll cage, safety gear.
The car has a Buick stage 2 hood scoop and anti-rollbar, light rims that are all visible in the pictures.
So no the car is not stock nor could a stock car run 9.35! There is a lot of detail in the car and engine to make it run so quick.

Last edited by Bernhard; October 23rd, 2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:20 PM

The car is stock appearing it is not stock.
The car is not a chassis car or back halved.
Car looks to be caring mostly original sheet metal and glass

Look to run 9.35 it has to have the suspension,fuel system,roll cage, safety gear.
The car has a Buick stage 2 hood scoop and anti-rollbar, light rims that are all visible in the pictures.
So no the car is not stock nor could a stock car run 9.35! There is a lot of detail in the car and engine to make it run so quick.

You are being a douche
Wow!!Talk about a wrong turn!!Never mind you are not worth my effort! With your Quote{Calling me a Douche} .I never said that Milans car was stock appearing! I guess you are like some others around here.{ YOU CAN'T READ} I said no disrespect and you fly off the handle.If you were re-read i was describing a stock appearing as they do lightening on cars yet have stock appearing cars.Done on this thread before this crap gets beyond Milans car thread.I for one like what he has done.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 07:35 PM

Wow!!Talk about a wrong turn!!Never mind you are not worth my effort! With your Quote{Calling me a Douche} .I never said that Milans car was stock appearing! I guess you are like some others around here.{ YOU CAN'T READ} I said no disrespect and you fly off the handle.If you were re-read i was describing a stock appearing as they do lightening on cars yet have stock appearing cars.Done on this thread before this crap gets beyond Milans car thread.I for one like what he has done.

Sorry
I removed the comment from my original post before you posted. I was thinking of another WR1967 from ROP when I made the comment.
Old October 26th, 2015, 07:43 PM

The car weighs 3365lbs with me in it. Yes, we can do a massive wheelie by playing with the front end shocks (and rears). It is a stock "type" suspension, meaning it still has the factory type 4-link rear suspension, but adjustable of course.

Yes, it is footbrake. A transbrake should give it at least a tenth I would think. The best 60ft so far this year was 1.26, which was the best ever.

We have some ideas and have noticed a few things so far.......we think it can go faster. Milan and myself both realized something....... Gonna try one last time for the season on Sunday.
Old October 27th, 2015, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by 80 Rocket
The car weighs 3365lbs with me in it. Yes, we can do a massive wheelie by playing with the front end shocks (and rears). It is a stock "type" suspension, meaning it still has the factory type 4-link rear suspension, but adjustable of course.

Yes, it is footbrake. A transbrake should give it at least a tenth I would think. The best 60ft so far this year was 1.26, which was the best ever.

We have some ideas and have noticed a few things so far.......we think it can go faster. Milan and myself both realized something....... Gonna try one last time for the season on Sunday.
Good luck
Hope you find a little more.
Old March 24th, 2016, 08:06 AM

Ok, what is the combo folks on this olds? sure runs....what top end and specs and block etc ? girdle on the mains too? what size motor etc...any details.?
Old March 24th, 2016, 08:16 PM

I'm impressed
Old March 24th, 2016, 08:42 PM

Milan posted a bunch of info in this thread: http://realoldspower.prophpbb.com/topic8960.html

4.185 x 4.200, billet crank with 2.2 pin, 12:1 compression, ported Rocket Racing heads, Marcella intake, jeff smith girdle, jesel rockers... it's a sweet combo.